Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

My Grandson invited me for my birthday to his house for a both sides of the family party, on Thanksgiving Day.

...... Next to the balloon for me, was an encrypted black wording stating " Happy Birthday," very poorly displayed. My spouse states that it is an encryption wishing you death....

..... What is your take on the actions of the other side of the family, on my birthday? Your comments are greatly appreciated.....
There is no such thing in ANY culture anywhere in the world as a death wish in encrypted black wording stating "Happy Birthday".

Your husband is imagining things and I think his own state of mind and motives for saying that to you needs to be examined more than the actions of other family members. He should not have said such a horrible mean-spirited thing about the family to you and it seems to me he said it to spite you and make you doubt your loved ones.

The balloon and encryption sounds like something a child would do as a quick after thought to pay homage to your birthday which happens to fall within the same month as Thanksgiving.

It sounds to me like the party was intended to be a Thanksgiving party, not a birthday party. If it had been intended to be a birthday party why is there no mention of a Birthday cake with candles, and birthday gifts for you and people singing "Happy Birthday To You" with you as the guest of honour?

Sasie, I think your husband is opening a nasty can of worms with his suggestion, and so are you in mentioning the value of a house that your grandson will be inheriting from you when you die.

And I think you are opening yourself up to criticism in posting and complaining about being neglected while you were at a big family Thanksgiving gathering for so many careless people at a time when there is a pandemic and people all over the world are specifically and desperately being pleaded with by health authorities to not have or attend any kinds of large gatherings this year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 04:15 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
That strikes me as a strange thought from your spouse. Why would one come to such conclusions?

My philosophy - if you want something particular in terms of celebrating/observing your birthday, it is always best to plan and host it yourself - make your own dream come true. Otherwise, anything anyone else chooses to do for you is a nice thought and one shouldn't have any expectations. Further, it is very common to make a bigger deal out of doubled-up birthdays and birthdays of youth. There is no need at all to read into it - that only leads to weird conspiracy theories and getting upset over speculation.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:37 PM

6,888 posts, read 4,902,664 times
What if your spouse out lives you? I take it he has no part of the ownership of the house? Is he allowed to live there until he dies or does he get kicked out?

Old 12-09-2020, 04:43 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
That strikes me as a strange thought from your spouse. Why would one come to such conclusions?

My philosophy - if you want something particular in terms of celebrating/observing your birthday, it is always best to plan and host it yourself - make your own dream come true. Otherwise, anything anyone else chooses to do for you is a nice thought and one shouldn't have any expectations. Further, it is very common to make a bigger deal out of doubled-up birthdays and birthdays of youth. There is no need at all to read into it - that only leads to weird conspiracy theories and getting upset over speculation.
All of this. Plus, well, we're in the middle of a pandemic?!? 20+ people getting together from multiple households?

I mean if ANY year deserves to be given an excuse for not being like past years it's this one.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times
An "encrypted black" Happy Birthday next to a balloon? What in the world is that?

Frankly, inviting anyone, especially a grandparent who is old enough to have an adult grandchild, to an indoor celebration with over 20 people (from multiple households) during a worldwide pandemic is completely irresponsible.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times
Very strange response.

Where's your gratitude that they remembered to celebrate you at all?

If you have a "quid pro quo" mentality, tell them what you expect in return for the inheritance.

It sounds, to me, as if you're being ungrateful and petty and your husband is out-of-his-mind.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is no such thing in ANY culture anywhere in the world as a death wish in encrypted black wording stating "Happy Birthday".

(snip)

I agree.

Quote:

(snip)

It sounds to me like the party was intended to be a Thanksgiving party, not a birthday party. If it had been intended to be a birthday party why is there no mention of a Birthday cake with candles, and birthday gifts for you and people singing "Happy Birthday To You" with you as the guest of honour?
(snip)

I agree.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times
Quote:

I think the OP mentioned that it was a combo party in years past, with multiple BDs being celebrated and in a larger way.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:56 PM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times
If you really feel a certain way about it, disinherit them.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,227,306 times
Can you explain the encrypted balloon thing? I have no idea what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships