Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 08:01 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I guess people aren't supposed to go through the stages of grief, one of which is anger (and yes, rage).

The 7 Stages of Grief:
  1. Shock
  2. Denial
  3. Anger
  4. Bargaining
  5. Depression
  6. Acceptance and hope
  7. Processing grief

Gee, let's judge and deny people's experiences because they don't just hustle through it.
Let's tell them they're wrong and a jackass because they can't just skip #2.
Ugh, I meant #3 - Anger. Thanks Yorktown Gal for quoting, so I could see the typo.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:24 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My cousin's daughter was addicted to prescription drugs. She went into drug rehab and came out an alcoholic. She traded one addiction for another.

Likewise his parents are addicted. The adenine rush associated with violence is a fight or flight response. Some people crave adenine. It's why people bungee jump, mountain climb and take risks. His parents were stuck in the cycle of violence and its adenine rushes.

His mom will not see the warning signs in new relationships. Most likely, his mother has chosen a new husband as dysfunctional as herself. Violence is comfortable for her.

Not only the OP, but his parents need to go through the 7 stages of grief.
This is very insightful.

And yes, pathrunner has posted everything I didn't have the patience to post, and more. IMO it's inappropriate to judge and write off people who are struggling with unresolved trauma. One doesn't just "get over it", usually, without help.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:27 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I can hear his 2 month old beautiful baby girl now in 5 years:

"Daddy, why don't we ever see Grandma and Grandpa? All my friends do and I don't even know mine"

What exactly is the answer that would make sense to a 5 year old? Or when she is 15 for that matter? He is denying his daughter a relationship with her grandparents, that can't be made up. And for what exactly?
The baby girl won't say that in a few years probably because she has 2 sets of gp's, and her parents will make an effort for her to have a relationship with her mom's parents. In the meantime, the OP will have time to see how his mother's new relationship works out. If it turns into another Punch-and-Judy show, he'll be wise to not expose his child to that nuthouse.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:37 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
My children did just fine after meeting their grandfather (my father) and "step"grandmother after age 1. Nothing was said in front of them, and they wouldn't have understood anyway.

As I mentioned upthread, the OP has plenty of time to work through things and either re-establish contact or forego it.

There's another thing:
many grandparents aren't all that into being grandparents. They have their own lives and often have newer spouses who have families of their own. It gets very complicated. I don't blame the OP for not being ready to deal with all that.

I hope the OP is at least still reading this thread. There are more than a few who support him, whether they've actually posted here or not.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:40 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
This thread is being closed. Too much bickering, side-bar discussion regarding the efficacy (or not) of therapy, plus I think it's now past the OP's due-date mentioned in his particular situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships