Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,472,723 times

Advertisements

I miss my Grandmother because she would sew anything for me, barbie clothes, clothes for me, curtains, costumes whatever I needed.

In her eyes I was always a good child.

She was the only one who would allow me to have just a LITTLE Dr. Pepper.

She took me to KFC as a treat.

She would allow me to sleep with her when I was young because she understood that I was affraid of the dark.

She never yelled at me once, never.

She was the only patient and truly caring person in my family.

My Grandmother was born in 1898 in Texas. She remembered so many things isn her life. She was like an animated history book. She even saw Haley's comet twice in her life.
That kind of life span made her a wise woman, like no one else I have ever met.

Why do you miss your Grandparents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,999,986 times
cool. Grandmothers can be really awesome. I miss them for the same reasons as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I miss my Grandmother because she would sew anything for me, barbie clothes, clothes for me, curtains, costumes whatever I needed.

In her eyes I was always a good child.

She was the only one who would allow me to have just a LITTLE Dr. Pepper.

She took me to KFC as a treat.

She would allow me to sleep with her when I was young because she understood that I was affraid of the dark.

She never yelled at me once, never.

She was the only patient and truly caring person in my family.

My Grandmother was born in 1898 in Texas. She remembered so many things isn her life. She was like an animated history book. She even saw Haley's comet twice in her life.
That kind of life span made her a wise woman, like no one else I have ever met.

Why do you miss your Grandparents?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,064,988 times
OMG, I'm crying.

I'll post later about my grandparents. Right now I'm just thinking about your Gramma and how much you obviously loved her. That was so sweet.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,621,543 times
What a great thread Lindsey. I can't put it all into words right now - too emotional for me - I miss them like crazy.

One memory that I have that I look back and laugh and smile about from time to time is my grandma throwing her slipper across the room at my dad and yelling at him with her Brooklyn accent to "leave my baby alone, don't you even think about yelling at her"

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,472,723 times
My Grandmother always told me as a child that no matter how grown up I got I could always sit on her lap. Even when I grew too big to sit on her lap, I would sit beside her and drape my legs over hers so it was almost like sitting on her lap.

My Grandmother went down to the nursing home to take care of the old folks, she even did this when she was in her 80s. People would chuckle when she said this because of her age. But she had an ageless air about her.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,676,630 times
This is making me cry.... I miss my grandparents because they were the greatest, they loved me like no other. I could do no wrong, say no wrong, I was perfect to them, they were perfect to me. I miss them more than you could ever imagine.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,679,149 times
i miss my grams because

she always sang old revolutionary and rancho songs

she pieced together the nicest blankets from scraps and other discarded/found materials (i recall one feeling like burlap!!! over time it softened)

she, being practically blind, still managed to season her meatball soup just right

i miss her because she taught me my numbers by counting all the planes that flew over head. (i've instinclty done the same with the kids now)

she was the person that no matter what, picked at my back (sounds gross, but her tender lil hands felt like a saints caress)

i miss her because everywhere i look, in my mom, in my aunts, in my cousins and in my self i see her. she was that mirror that reflected who we are as a family.

she taught us to be respectful, thrifty, hard working and honest.

when i dont see these traits in others, it always reminds me of her...

and how my grams would pinch that tender lil part on the inside of your arm real quick if we acted up.

dam i miss her.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM

314 posts, read 719,876 times
What a thread-brings back the memories of the 1 person who always loved & listened, felt no need to judge but offered alternatives with a wise smile. Even when everyone else was sure they were right she would stand by my side and say "just a minutes, let's talk about this." Wow, to have someone like that in my corner today. Gives me a lot to shoot for now that I am a grandmother.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,229,283 times
I am fortunate enough to still have my grandmother alive and healthy. I cannot even fathom at this point her not being around.

I was also fortunate to have my great-grandmother around well into my adult life. Giving her the joy (and us) of seeing 5 generations of women when my daughter was born. She passed away at the age of 98.

I miss her because she was a woman of great strength and conviction.
She was true to her beliefs and a faithful prayer warrior.
She was a tiny petite woman who had such inner strength that not one of her tall, big and strong sons would dare so much as raise their voice in her presence.
She and my great-grandfather raised 6 amazing men and 1 woman.
She truly left a wonderful legacy of love, family and faith.
She was loving and kind.
A true servant's heart.
When I was little, the moment I walked into her apartment she would take me over to the kitchen and take the little lid off the canister that held the small sugar cubes I so much loved to suck on and eat which were her little treat to me as everyone else said sugar was no good for me.
She would knit beautiful pieces. In fact little sweater she knit for me to leave the hospital in when I was born, is the same little sweater both my children wore on the day they were released from the hospital and we went home.
I miss the stories she would tell of the days in Cuba, the joys, the struggles and all ths little things in between.

If I could be only half the woman she was... I'd count myself successful.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,408,388 times
The first memory I have of my grandmother is when I was four. I was in kindergarten, and I had just gotten off the schoolbus with a huge pumpkin.

I had been to the pumpkin patch ona field trip that day. I wrapped my little arms around that huge pumpkin, wondering how I would get it all the way down the street, to my house.

Here comes grandma, walking up to the top of the street. I had no idea she was there, and I didn't even care about that pumpkin anymore. I jsut wanted to drop it on the ground and run to her.

She says be careful Robyn, you don't drop that pretty pumpkin. I don't know why I don't remember before that, but that is forever etched in my mind.

She held the pumpkin in one arm, my hand in the other.

She was always so very loving towards me. My parents were not like that at all, so, that is where the love I received as a child came from, my grandma.

All those years ago, she taught me how to love. I would sit in Grandmas lap, as she read the paper, or did whatever she was doing. Rubbing her pretty silver hair.

The years went by, and it was my turn to care for her. This is the emotional part for me. Grandma taught me how to love as a child, and I started to raise my own family. Her health declined.

I cared for her for as long as I could, until my aunt put her in a nursing home. I visited her every day, then. She told me one day, I want to have bracelets. I never knew my Gma as a person who wore jewelry, but that is when it started.

I would bring her a bracelet on every holiday, and inbetween for no reason... they started to add up. I would wash her face.. this may sound yuck, but brush her teeth... manicure.. all of those things that were not being taken care of there...

My mom passed on 12242000. I was caring for her then, cancer.

On Christmas morning, we went to see grandma. Me, my brother, and my aunt. My aunt was supposed to be the one who was going to tell her. This now, the third child she had outlived, my mother.

She asked me if my mother was still raising cain at home. Once the cancer took her over, she did not know her surroundings.

No one said a word. I leaned in close to Grandma, and told her that my mother had left us the day before... She had gone to the heavens, to be with her sisters, her father....

I hugged my grandma. I loved her.

It wasn't so very long after that she passed. Those bracelets lining her arm.

She was buried with them. My aunt saved an old quilt for me. It was on my Grandmas bed for as long as I can remember. Made by her grandmother, out of old dresses from here and there.

Not the most beautiful thing in the world, but in my eyes, it is...

I could go on forever, but lack the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships