Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 10:17 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times

Advertisements

Hardly anything around right now for this time.

The ones still listed are not in good areas.

The tile contractor is involved in a large job and it's taking longer than expected. Plus, I'm sure it's way more money than mine. Mine is considered a small job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 11:36 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
We resorted to renting a large travel trailer and parked it in the driveway.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband said he feels weird if one of them has to go to the bathroom at night because they have to walk through our whole room to get to the master bathroom. If it was closer to the front, no issue.

I don't feel like that but he does. I guess my daughter's wife feels weird about this part too and with my brother's house, she does not know the male friend. My daughter does, of course, and she's even played golf with him but she wants her wife to feel comfortable too.
I think you all are not seeing the forest for the trees.

I see no reason why there should be any issues with the master bathroom being used during the day times.

I'm assuming they're going to be sleeping (camping) at nights in your spare bedroom? For night time toilet use just get them a small camper's porta-potty to keep in their bedroom like campers or car travellers would keep in their tents or cars.

They're small, lightweight, easy to sanitize quickly and very easy for one person to pick it up, carry it with one hand to empty out each morning into the toilet in the master bathroom. It's a big step up from using an old-fashioned lidded chamber pot that everybody used to keep under their beds for night time use before flush toilets were invented.

If those two gals are too squeamish or sensitive to deal with such a small inconvenience then they should be staying at a hotel or motel at night.

Take a look at these as examples of what kinds of camper's porta-potties are available.

https://www.amazon.ca/portable-campi...camping+toilet

https://www.google.ca/search?q=campe...client=gws-wiz

Old 12-16-2022, 11:51 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
OK - I think using a porta potty in my room is weirder than tiptoeing through the master bedroom.

For starters...my spouse is in there with me.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:58 AM

OK here's my ideas....

Even if the bathroom isn't finished.... I don't see why there isn't time for a toilet to be put in temporarily in the unfinished bathroom. With or without a sink, at least having a toilet available in there would be a big improvement. Maybe add an old fashioned wash basin and pitcher if the sink can't be hooked up yet... make it seem homey and functional enough.

If not possible... Then perhaps buy some portable privacy screens to create a little privacy for you and hubby in bed and for them to sneak by at night? Any way to use something like this to help divide the space and make everyone feel more comfortable going to-from the master?
https://www.amazon.ca/FDW-Folding-Pr...%2C920&sr=8-35

Old 12-16-2022, 12:14 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile OK - thanks

Never thought of a room divider. Interesting thought.

As far as the portable toilet, we have the 2 toilets (new) already delivered and sitting in the garage.

We also have a guest bathroom which is on the other side of the house (half bath) and is also under renovation.

Just waiting on Mr. Tile Guy.

I have been told his work takes 3 days.

I think using the master bath during the day is fine; it's the nighttime that they are concerned about.

If it was me, I'd be fine with it.

I had tell them though so no surprises.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The room she is staying in is her old room just as she left it. She does not want us to move anything!

Old 12-16-2022, 12:37 PM

OK And if you have construction materials/plywood around, you might be able to fashion a privacy screen cheaper than buying one... or even a curtain.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:45 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I ended up needing to entertain out of town family during a home remodel once. Tiny remote town and it bucketed down rain the entire time. There was nothing I could do about the situation so had to deal. Decided to farm out the couple of guests I knew would have the least sense of humor/be the fussiest to a local B&B for the nights, but we got together for activities during the day. I planned activities that could take place away from the house. For example, we had several of the main sit down meals at a nearby lodge and arranged to do our gift exchange in their lounge area instead of at my train wreck of a living room. They'd decorated it for the holiday so it was quite festive. The visit worked out fine. In fact, most of us remember the unexpected humor surrounding the physical aspects of the remodel (critiquing the expertise in how the plastic sheeting was hung, hung tree decorations on the builder's table saw, draped a Christmas tree skirt over the new woodstove still in its crate, we set up a betting pool with dates for when everyone thought the work might be completed, taped butcher paper over unfinished surfaces and let people scribble graffiti on it), not the minor inconveniences it created.

Instead of trying to make this Christmas into something it just can't be (the idyllic traditional), shift the expectations and embrace the chaos. Revel in the inherent humor surrounding construction zone style living, not the inconvenience. It is one visit out of many. You can "put off" traditional stuff to next year. Like the single bathroom...the housecoats for people who need to troop through the bedroom to reach it. Find the silliest most garish ones you can and make people do a fashion show. Make "tickets" for the bathroom waiting line. Ring a bell when the room's free. Hang a sheet across part of the master bedroom and scribble No Peeking! on it. Ask everyone to dig around for the funniest home remodel jokes or stories and take turns telling them. Stock ridiculous themed picnic supplies for meals. You can set yourself up for funny or you can set yourself up for frustration. I know what I'd do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-16-2022 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-16-2022, 01:53 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Our daughter is just one of the most fun people to be around. She starts the party.

The contractors will probably not work the 23rd and after that, who knows? This is one of the issues.
One of the tile guys (scheduled in October for November 18th and then rescheduled for the 12th of December) is the hold up.

He does amazing work but he ran into delays at a big house he is doing.

We still have other things to do with the house but held off on those until after the New Year just so it would not be a mess. We will be doing the master bath, the kitchen, the pool/patio deck and the pool.

I probably watch too many Hallmark shows but I wished for a very traditional Christmas - making cookies, dinners together, decorating the tree and reminiscing about the history of each ornament and what it meant, going to church on Christmas Eve, few family events along the way. Our daughter is giving us tickets to the Dolphins - Green Bay game on Christmas Day. Very excited about going.

There are also a lot of very sentimental things I wanted to go through with her from her childhood, my childhood, even her grandparents' history and I can see she has matured to the point where she would be very interested at this point. So, I could see us laughing and crying into the wee hours about some of these things. We had found some old videos that she would really laugh about.

We do have some beautiful hotels here and one of them is my very favorite - even had my wedding reception there back in the 1980's but it is under new ownership now and I've heard not for the better. Rooms start at $700 a night which is crazy. Our daughter loves it there too but she can get into another hotel and use her points but like I said, she's not jumping up and down for joy. She's being mature about it but I can tell she is really disappointed.

PS - Last year, we spent Thanksgiving in Las Vegas with our daughter, her wife and the in-laws. It was fine but it felt a little strange not doing all the fixings. Then, we drove to NJ for Christmas - 5 days of driving (back and forth) - missed almost all of Christmas Eve and then no celebration because the in-laws are frugal. It didn't even seem like Christmas to me. I enjoyed seeing them of course.

PPS - She loves NYC and NJ but if she could have a 2nd home, it would be South Florida. She loves it here but has to go where she can make some money and she has a good job. In fact, they both do.
Holy cow! You have some really high, really specific, really unrealistic expectations. You need to back off that now or you will truly ruin the holiday and the stay for everyone.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:55 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's only for a few days, I grew up in a house with only 1 bathroom. Now being the master bath that may be a bit awkward but it sounds like everyone wants them there so make it happen.

And no a hose in December is not a viable option.
In no universe is 9 days a FEW days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships