Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 05:36 PM

24,760 posts, read 11,078,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
No worries!

I don't speak to them in insulting terms, though it's tempting. I know they're already ashamed enough and unable to see past it. Their comments really do push me to the edge of almost firing right back with something nasty sometimes. Good thing we don't see them much.
You may want to read some of your posts in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 05:39 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,037,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You may want to read some of your posts in this thread.
Oh I'll vent here or to others, but engaging them in that kind of talk is not what i would do. It has no happy ending.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:47 AM

9,900 posts, read 7,796,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Coming from someone who has been up and down with weight all my life (just the way I'm made) I don't agree that compliments about weight loss are okay, especially for a child. It's no one's business, except her parents whether this child has lost weight.

Generally speaking, it's no one's business, in any situation, whether someone has lost weight. I deeply resent it when people start commenting on my weight loss, when it happens. It always comes back again, and they don't say "wow you look really fat" so why should they be saying "wow you're wasting away to nothing".

If you're dieting and want compliments, bring it up yourself. No one, no one, should be commenting on anyone else's weight or size.
That's fine, we can agree to disagree. Our family just isn't afraid to talk about losing weight because like you, we are also built that way and everyone goes up and down. When my grandson decided to lose weight it was because of his sports. He changed his own diet, did research online, gave up junk food. He was already a top player but wanted to do even better.

I think most people do appreciate comments when they lose weight. If I see someone that has lost I'll tell them they look fabulous and they will go on to tell me how much they lost and how they did it.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:00 AM

50,432 posts, read 64,212,276 times
I’m a grandmother with a 300# grandson. Everyone in the family is normal weight. OP is right, that it is not a grandparents place to comment on his child’s weight.

The family was recently together and my grandson was noticeably fatigued on some of the outings that involved physical exertion. I didn’t say anything. It’s up to his parents or his siblings, and since he’s been heavy his whole life, I’m sure they are all aware.

He was away at college for 4 years, and now lives and works at a job with the public. He is functioning well, but I can’t believe that clients aren’t put off by his appearance. Since he is a bright kid, it has to be his decision to fix himself.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:35 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,037,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

I think most people do appreciate comments when they lose weight. If I see someone that has lost I'll tell them they look fabulous and they will go on to tell me how much they lost and how they did it.
If it's sincere, yes.
The comments though are more like when someone makes a comment to a better-off sibling like "must be nice to have those vacations" assuming that the money just fell from the sky and hard work played 0% of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships