Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2024, 03:38 PM

103 posts, read 38,159 times

Advertisements

If so, how did you go about doing it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 03:40 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
WAY more details needed.
For example, why are you to dictate who can and cannot come to the funeral?

Old 03-18-2024, 03:50 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Who is the person and why are they not welcome? What is their relationship to the deceased?

Old 03-18-2024, 03:56 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
We didn't let one cousin know about our Uncles death, so he did not make it to the funeral ( Uncle had been mad at him for ripping off other family members.) Those family members were at the funeral.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Who is the person and why are they not welcome? What is their relationship to the deceased?
Two of my dad's brother-in-laws (my mom's brothers) who screwed him over ... they no longer talk.

Actually, I don't care if they come to the viewing (I won't interact with them, but it's hypocritical), but how do you tell them not to come to the reception afterwards?

After my brother's funeral, the one actually came with his brood, took a table over and stuffed their faces. I couldn't believe it. Nobody interacted with them.

When the time comes for my dad, I don't want them there.

Last edited by CalvinT; 03-18-2024 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-18-2024, 04:28 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Two of my dad's brother-in-laws (my mom's brothers) who screwed him over ... they no longer talk.

Actually, I don't care if they come to the viewing (I won't interact with them, but it's hypocritical), but how do you tell them not to come to the reception afterwards?

After my brother's funeral, the one actually came with his brood, took a table over and stuffed their faces. I couldn't believe it. Nobody interacted with them.

Add to everything: reception by invitation only but be prepared for the locusts to show up. Be the bigger person, ignore them, let them eat and misbehave. Others are not blind.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post

Simply don't publicize details about the reception. Invite others directly and emphasize that the invitation is not public. That will likely reduce the chances that they will hear about it.

If they do find out about it or ask directly, you can then truthfully state that you have not organized a public reception. If they challenge you, you can explain further that you are having a small gathering by invitation only. Then if they do show up, simply meet them at the front door and tell them that the gathering is private and they were not issued an invitation.

There are possibly other ways of course--for example you could delay the reception by hours or even a day, which might make it more difficult for them if they are coming from out of town. You could also issue printed invitations and ask someone to act as sort of a 'bouncer' at the door, so that you don't have to confront them directly.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Simply don't publicize details about the reception. Invite others directly and emphasize that the invitation is not public. That will likely reduce the chances that they will hear about it.

If they do find out about it or ask directly, you can then truthfully state that you have not organized a public reception. If they challenge you, you can explain further that you are having a small gathering by invitation only. Then if they do show up, simply meet them at the front door and tell them that the gathering is private and they were not issued an invitation.

There are possibly other ways of course--for example you could delay the reception by hours or even a day, which might make it more difficult for them if they are coming from out of town. You could also issue printed invitations and ask someone to act as sort of a 'bouncer' at the door, so that you don't have to confront them directly.
That's great advice!

Thank you.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:27 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Reception after a funeral by invitation only????? Good grief! If they want to come let them. This is for the rememberance of your dad, not who is there. We had someone come to my mother's funeral that my dad didn't want there. But he took the advice my mother always gave us. Take the upper road, don't stoop to their level. Just smile and, if you happen to run into them, just smile, say hello, and keep walking.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:41 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Give them the wrong date for the funeral. :-)

Is your mom still alive? Seems as these are her brothers it would be up to her. If she's not would it be possible to have the funeral without notifying them? Some families are close and everyone knows everything that's going on with the family, others don't. I just found out a nephew died about a year ago. There's no family estrangement, we are just not close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships