Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,257 times

Advertisements

I have always found meeting new friends to be relatively easy - maybe because I have moved so much that I have HAD to, or I would have spent a lot of time alone! Lol.

But it seems to be getting harder and I'm not sure why.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but I need some advice (ach, I feel like I'm back in high school!!!).

There are a bunch of girls around my age (early 30s) working at the same office as I am. Mostly they've been quite nice - and I've met up with one girl and her husband with my DH for brunch and we had a great time. She invited us to a bar-be-que, but we couldn't make it.

The girls all seem to get on quite well and are a 'group'.
Believe me, I don't expect to be welcomed into an existing group with open arms, but there is one girl who is really quite unfriendly. Not sure why. Now, when I see the girl we went for brunch with she's really nice when the other girl isn't there, and less so when she is. In fact I feel like the other girl is making an effort to exclude me, and I don't get why.

Normally I would brush it off and move on with other people, only I really miss having some girl friends, and would like to form some friendships in our new city.

Should I ask if there is an issue? Or just try and soldier on and see what happens.

This all seems so ridiculous to me - I always try and be welcoming to new people, and this just seems like such silly behavior, so do I address it or ignore it?

Hobokenkitchen. 31 years old, going on 14.

Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Hey, I feel your pain. The tactic I learned is to walk up to everybody at a party and talk to them. Make a game out of it. You'll be amazed how quickly your stock goes up at a party.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
i really try to get most of my friends outside of work - seems to really reduce the drama and/or akwardness when something is going on.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,738,563 times
Hee hee 31 going on 13...I feel that way too and I'm 41
But the reality of it is that not all girls can play nice when there is a group of more than 2, no matter what age we are. We can really be *ithcy sometimes!
I'd just ignore her, take the high road and continue to be friendly with them all. Good luck and I hope you make a special friend or friends. It's better to have one quality friend than several aquaintances!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
i really try to get most of my friends outside of work - seems to really reduce the drama and/or akwardness when something is going on.

This is a very good point, and perhaps this is some advice I should heed.
Problem is, I thought this girl might turn into a good friend - and that is what I miss most about where we moved from!
Still, if it's going to be an issue with the other girl I should probably let it go. They knew each other first - maybe she feels like I am trying to butt in - and she's probably right! Lol.

It's funny, but it's kind of like dating again - only with platonic friends!
We are cultivating other friendships here too. I think I'm hoping that a ready made, great buddy is ging to fall from the sky who I can get years worth of history with all in 5 minutes!

I think I just need to give it time, but I miss having friends around!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Problem is, I thought this girl might turn into a good friend - and that is what I miss most about where we moved from!
Still, if it's going to be an issue with the other girl I should probably let it go. They knew each other first - maybe she feels like I am trying to butt in - and she's probably right! Lol.

It's funny, but it's kind of like dating again - only with platonic friends!
We are cultivating other friendships here too. I thik I'm hoping that a ready made, great buddy is ging to fall from the sky who I can get years worth of history with all in 5 minutes!

Yep. Office cliques are kind of hard to break into, especially since they've known each other so long. Maybe ask them to lunch individually, and see how that goes....Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
Quote:
I have had best success with folks that I have a natural common interest with (and work not being it)... find something you have some passion about and then find a group that works with that - then either join or volunteer.... this could be a social cause, a sports activity, a church, a neighborhood association... whatever, but folks with a like interest - has always made finding that friend a lot easier (and happens a little quicker too).

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
The older you get, the harder making new friends becomes. I've pretty much given up. Not that there aren't some opportunities, but the relations are not quite satisfying for me (and for them, I'd imagine). We don’t know each other, have completely different backgrounds and experiences, and have no history together... there’s no glue to hold you together…

I can perhaps make some good acquaintances to share activities with occasionally, but it's never gonna be anything close to what I'd consider a friend.... I know, given a chance, a friendship might grow if nurtured, but I also live in a very transient place – people come and go and one day you don’t have them again, so you just say “why bother at all”…

Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Try craigslist?? I've noticed people doing that these days.

Quote:
I have always found meeting new friends to be relatively easy - maybe because I have moved so much that I have HAD to, or I would have spent a lot of time alone! Lol.

But it seems to be getting harder and I'm not sure why.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but I need some advice (ach, I feel like I'm back in high school!!!).

There are a bunch of girls around my age (early 30s) working at the same office as I am. Mostly they've been quite nice - and I've met up with one girl and her husband with my DH for brunch and we had a great time. She invited us to a bar-be-que, but we couldn't make it.

The girls all seem to get on quite well and are a 'group'.
Believe me, I don't expect to be welcomed into an existing group with open arms, but there is one girl who is really quite unfriendly. Not sure why. Now, when I see the girl we went for brunch with she's really nice when the other girl isn't there, and less so when she is. In fact I feel like the other girl is making an effort to exclude me, and I don't get why.

Normally I would brush it off and move on with other people, only I really miss having some girl friends, and would like to form some friendships in our new city.

Should I ask if there is an issue? Or just try and soldier on and see what happens.

This all seems so ridiculous to me - I always try and be welcoming to new people, and this just seems like such silly behavior, so do I address it or ignore it?

Hobokenkitchen. 31 years old, going on 14.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Me too. Even now as I'm doing my part time restaurant gig, while I'm really chummy with one of the Irish girls and some of the chefs I work with, I haven't socialized with any of them out of work. I like to keep work and play very separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships