Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,228,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The older you get, the harder making new friends becomes. I've pretty much given up. Not that there aren't some opportunities, but the relations are not quite satisfying for me (and for them, I'd imagine). We don’t know each other, have completely different backgrounds and experiences, and have no history together... there’s no glue to hold you together…

I can perhaps make some good acquaintances to share activities with occasionally, but it's never gonna be anything close to what I'd consider a friend.... I know, given a chance, a friendship might grow if nurtured, but I also live in a very transient place – people come and go and one day you don’t have them again, so you just say “why bother at all”…
I can't give up, or I am going to be a very lonely person.

Don't get me wrong, my DH is my best friend, but I need female friends too.

The history is the problem I think - these things just take time to build. Patience has always been a virtue that I needed to work at , so I guess I'm just going to have to continue making an effort and stop expecting so much so soon.

I have decided to handle the issue with the unfriendly girl head on. Not easy, but if she's going to exclude me for whatever reason, then lets be open about it.

It's possible that I may have said something to her which sounded 'off' and that I don't even realise it. Sometimes we really are two peoples seperated by a common language. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm not going to make a big deal of it - just tell her that I'm getting some negative vibes and that I hope I haven't said something that upset her without realizing.
That gives her a chance to tell me if I did - or if not, she will know that I have recognized her behavior.

Whatever happens I won't be a doormat. just not going to happen. I'll continue to be as nice as possible, but negative energy saps my energy and I don't have time or the patience for that.

WHY do things have to be difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,567,328 times
What about a neighbor.... one of my best friends is someone right next door... we can both get home from work and just sit and have a drink... no pressure... that turned into a really good friendship.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:34 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,316,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
What about a neighbor.... one of my best friends is someone right next door... we can both get home from work and just sit and have a drink... no pressure... that turned into a really good friendship.
Hmmm

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,316,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I have always found meeting new friends to be relatively easy - maybe because I have moved so much that I have HAD to, or I would have spent a lot of time alone! Lol.

But it seems to be getting harder and I'm not sure why.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but I need some advice (ach, I feel like I'm back in high school!!!).

There are a bunch of girls around my age (early 30s) working at the same office as I am. Mostly they've been quite nice - and I've met up with one girl and her husband with my DH for brunch and we had a great time. She invited us to a bar-be-que, but we couldn't make it.

The girls all seem to get on quite well and are a 'group'.
Believe me, I don't expect to be welcomed into an existing group with open arms, but there is one girl who is really quite unfriendly. Not sure why. Now, when I see the girl we went for brunch with she's really nice when the other girl isn't there, and less so when she is. In fact I feel like the other girl is making an effort to exclude me, and I don't get why.

Normally I would brush it off and move on with other people, only I really miss having some girl friends, and would like to form some friendships in our new city.

Should I ask if there is an issue? Or just try and soldier on and see what happens.

This all seems so ridiculous to me - I always try and be welcoming to new people, and this just seems like such silly behavior, so do I address it or ignore it?

Hobokenkitchen. 31 years old, going on 14.

Thanks for your comments.

You have to ask?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Hmmm

Wow - searching through all threads?? Interesting. Who has the bug up their behind now?

Think this was from July when we were brand new in town. It's now January and we've been here 9 months. Bit of a different situation now. We've actually made more friends here by now than we ever did in Hoboken. Probably because it's a much bigger place.
It helped that old friends of ours from London live here and have a big group of friends, and we got back in touch with them.

Oh and that original scenario - I'm now buddies with the girl who was excluding me. I deal with my troubles a little differently than you, so the outcome tends to be different too. See how that works? http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif (broken link)

Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You have to ask?
Is all this searching through old threads because we had dinner with our neighbors last night? Is it really so hard for you to believe that people do that? As it happens this was the first time we've gone out - we've been saying we'd go for ages, but it never happened, and then they called last week. It's really not THAT much of a stretch is it? If it's this hard for you to believe that people go out, then I'm even more concerned for you than I was before.

I'm going out on a girl's night on Thursday too. care to search through old threads for something that will disprove that? http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smilie_tischkante.gif (broken link)

Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Forget trying to make actual friends with your co-workers. If you like to spiff up your yard with planting flowers in the spring, find a neighbor that likes to do the same. Go to the plant nursery together. Or do some volunteer work in your area. If you are helping with a bake sale, find another volunteer to bake with. I think that helping out a library with a book sale would be fun. Or if you want to be really different, there's always volunteering for a Habitat for Humanity project! I think that it's easier to make friends with someone that enjoys the same activities and on the same schedule. With co-workers, there is the danger of talking about work, griping and possibly being tricked into complaining about a work situation and then your comments starting some drama. Even if you never had moved, I think that the older we get, the busier our lives can become with other obligations, like family or we get more tired and stressed from work or sitting in rush hour traffic, so it's preferable to go home and just recover while being anti-social. I know that in the Boston area, the rush hour traffic has gotten much worse since I was young. Years ago, it was no big deal to work or visit the city. Now I prefer to avoid it as much as possible and Boston is only 10-15 miles away from my house. When I pass through other major cities like Atlanta, I find the traffic to also be a pain in the neck. A week ago, I was got in horrendous holiday traffic while on my way to NC. Between CT and Baltimore, MD, I hit constant parking lot situations on I-95. Never again will I travel Christmas week. lol But seriously, if I had to commute to work in a major city like the average 9-5 person, I would never have the energy to have a social life!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Forget trying to make actual friends with your co-workers. If you like to spiff up your yard with planting flowers in the spring, find a neighbor that likes to do the same. Go to the plant nursery together. Or do some volunteer work in your area. If you are helping with a bake sale, find another volunteer to bake with. I think that helping out a library with a book sale would be fun. Or if you want to be really different, there's always volunteering for a Habitat for Humanity project! I think that it's easier to make friends with someone that enjoys the same activities and on the same schedule. With co-workers, there is the danger of talking about work, griping and possibly being tricked into complaining about a work situation and then your comments starting some drama. Even if you never had moved, I think that the older we get, the busier our lives can become with other obligations, like family or we get more tired and stressed from work or sitting in rush hour traffic, so it's preferable to go home and just recover while being anti-social. I know that in the Boston area, the rush hour traffic has gotten much worse since I was young. Years ago, it was no big deal to work or visit the city. Now I prefer to avoid it as much as possible and Boston is only 10-15 miles away from my house. When I pass through other major cities like Atlanta, I find the traffic to also be a pain in the neck. A week ago, I was got in horrendous holiday traffic while on my way to NC. Between CT and Baltimore, MD, I hit constant parking lot situations on I-95. Never again will I travel Christmas week. lol But seriously, if I had to commute to work in a major city like the average 9-5 person, I would never have the energy to have a social life!
Thanks Miu. We actually are friends with my co workers now... and I've become quite close with another girl from the office. We're all contractors though, and no-one relies on anyone else for any work. So I think that helps.
The girl in the first scenario apparently starts off quite cold and slowly warms up. It's her 'thing'. Pretty sad 'thing' if you ask me, but I made an effort with her and she has indeed warmed up. My office is pretty cool - a few of us are talking about heading to VT for a girls weekend. The only thing is that a fair few of them are recently divorced. We ended up taking one of them out for Chinese on Christmas day so she wouldn't be alone all day.
They are slightly bitter about men - I just try to stay out of that stuff.

I do take your point though. Two of the girls have fallen out and no longer speak. I can see how that would be awkward in an office environment, but as I said none of us rely on the others for work, so you can get by.

I really wouldn't have enjoyed moving here half as much if we hadn't made friends. To begin with it was more just missing seeing familiar faces around, but I'm glad we made so much effort because we HAVE met a lot of people - the only downside is I'm drinking more than I have in years (still not that much) and we're spending a lot of money on eating out with people.
I'm lucky though because I make my own hours and walk to work. So I hae the energy. DH keeps up somehow.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,411,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
i really try to get most of my friends outside of work - seems to really reduce the drama and/or akwardness when something is going on.
Great advice. I've only let in good friendships from work when they were definitely the kind of friends I would have made outside of work. (The person that sat in the office next to me in ATL was my best friend while I lived there and is still my friend, after many years of living so far away, as I just spoke to him over the holidays.) Otherwise, the people at work remain my lunch crowd and nothing more. And that distance is a good thing to have many times. Right, I prefer to have most of my personal friends not be my immediate co-workers.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,996,866 times
I thought you were perfect and made friends easily and effortlessly?

Now you are on here crying like little baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships