Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,722,266 times

Advertisements

I don't think a real break with someone means being nasty, or hating them, or ignoring them, or being fake. I think it means conveying to them that you don't want to spend time with them and try to give a neutrally honest reason and then just doing it.

I did it once with a person who was never "there" for me and then would come around when it was advantageous for her. She called me up after two years and wanted me to attend a party with her new husband and I declined, and she asked to have lunch, and I declined, and then she asked a third time as to when we could get together and I just told her I no longer had a desire to get together. End of story. You really have to decide what is worth your time in your personal life. I am not the type to always hang onto personal relationships just in case they might be of use professionally. Lots of people collect "friends" like they do phone numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
I've had to cut a few links from the food chain - but they deserved to be cut.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,564,788 times
If they have betrayed me, I'll cut ties and not acknowledge them at all. If I feel they are just too "heavy" to keep around, I'll choose to not to be around them and be civil when I run into them. I don't see the need to be antagonistic or rude. It takes negative energy to do that. Not worth it.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 AM

123 posts, read 352,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Sometimes people outgrow each other.
People that you got along with 10 years ago may not be the ones you want to hang out with today.
So very true.

You don't have to be nasty about it.....just slowly but surely drift away. No point raising the issue and ruffling someone the wrong way

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,358,999 times
I have dumped a few because I thought they were "friends" but they weren't.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,701,776 times
I've had to "break up" with a couple of friends, one in particular was a gf that I had been friends with for about 5 years. She moved to FL, she got a job that she didn't like because her co-workers were rude to her and made her work environment very stressful, well I felt bad and could relate, so, I sent her a "bouquet" of horse-shaped cookies (she loved horses and had 4 of her own) to her work, kind of as a way to show the other workers that this girl is a great gal and had other friends, etc. Well, she loved the cookies and it made her day. So fast forward to about a year later, I was having a very hard time with something, and I needed a friend, so I called her and explained and that I was feeling very down, etc. All she could come up with to support me was a smart-a** comment.
Well, needless to say, i got off the phone with her as quickly as I could and never contacted her again. She had tried to contact me after that but I never accepted her calls and she just kind of went away.
We have a mutual friend that sided with me because she had been a very one-sided friend with him as well.
I didn't get her the cookies expecting anything in return, but I felt that it was a nice gesture and would show my support and cheer her up, but when I needed her, I expected more than a simple, smart-a** comment!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Breaking up in the love sense always has these conversations and explanations and all this etc...that just drags it out...

Do you break up with friends like that too?
Or just avoid them and be fake when you see them?
Or just avoid them and be mean when you see them?

How do you make the call between being fake or just f-it and be nasty?
First, I'm never fake when dealing with people, for the simple reason that I hate being "faked" on.

With that being said, it really DEPENDS on why the friendship ended.

Most recent example was this past... 2 weeks ago. I ended the friendship with someone that I thought was my good friend since high school (11 years ago, and I was her bridesmaid, etc. etc.).

Why did I end it? Because she was dishonest and I found out that she tends to backstab people in the back by, well, talking about them behind their backs.

In my particular situation, she and I had a misunderstanding (cliffnote: I found out something about her other friend Amy, something about Amy that highly could get Amy fired from work, so I mentioned it to my "now former" friend, and for some odd reason, she thought I was making fun of Amy ). So, instead of talking to me and telling me that she's mad at me for this stupid misunderstanding (on her part), she ended up giving me the silent treatment for 2 weeks, so even after I called her to say MERRY CHRISTMAS, she never called back, because God forbid, she is still mad at me.

So 2 weeks passed, and I called her to tell her that what she had misunderstood me, and that I was mad at her for not being straightforward w/ me. Well, a week later, I found a public message from this Amy chick, talking crap about ME, saying that I had been talking trash about Amy. Yeah, I know, stupid HS bull****!! So all in all, I felt betrayed by this "friend" because on her part, instead of dealing with the misunderstanding with me directly, she HAD to tell others about it FIRST and talked trash about me. Nice, right?

So that's why I ended it. I'm too old for that type of BS anymore!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times
lol I'm surprised you had any friends to begin with. No offense. You are cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM

63 posts, read 266,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

What he said. I found out the hard way.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,136,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Breaking up in the love sense always has these conversations and explanations and all this etc...that just drags it out...

Do you break up with friends like that too?
Or just avoid them and be fake when you see them?
Or just avoid them and be mean when you see them?

How do you make the call between being fake or just f-it and be nasty?
have only dumped one friend----she invited me to come live with her after i retired---spent my savings moving to her home--then asked me to move out after i was ill from a massive kidney infection(post a flu i picked up in her home)
was given 2 weeks--had to move to a hotel,maxed out my credit cards--

will NEVER speak to her again after 30 years--some of which she spent in my home--impossible for me to forget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships