Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Haha, looks like I wasn't the first person to check the OP's location after reading the post. Glad that it works for you, but try that in Jersey and you'll have F' Bombs dropping on you so hard you'd think you were in WWII Berlin
Oh, baloney. I've lived all over, and done biz in Jersey. It's just not that hard to strike up a conversation. You just have to not accost people while doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
It's just not that hard to strike up a conversation. You just have to not accost people while doing.
Yes, there is that line where it becomes creepy.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
paying for other peoples stuff you dont know in the grocery line is perceived by some as codependent behavior.
yanno what, it has never happened to me, but once, and it was such a small amount, the poor woman didn't have enough, so I paid...so call me co-dependent for 2 bucks... sheesh...when people don't like something someone else does out of kindness, they have to put a label on it.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, baloney. I've lived all over, and done biz in Jersey. It's just not that hard to strike up a conversation. You just have to not accost people while doing.
oh baloney is right....8 years ago, I meant two of the nicest people in NJ, and today, they are my best friends, and they were from NJ...plus two other couples...and some decent single people. Once, I had just arrived at the motel...the owner knew me and gave me a hug, while another couple was signing in. I guess they asked him if I was alone, he said, yeah, she always travels alone, so they invited me for dinner...they were awesome.

So, don't tell me there are not great people in this world....

twice while traveling, I got into a fix and stranded in Nassau...people moved mountains for me to help me get to my destination....the flight attendents and pilots decided to strike...don't ever fly Bahama's Air...yuck...they didn't care we were all stranded...the people that helped me were not associated with that airline...I would never ever fly them again. I was traveling alone, but a few of us passengers from the states hooked up for support. Ever...Beware. On the way back (I had a round trip ticket, and even though I had my ticket, they said I was booked on a different flight) but after hours of talking they put me on my plane, and they were late, so, once again, I was stranded overnight in Miami. Had to take a plane to Houston, then back to the east. Sorry I got off topic..this thread is about meeting NICE people.

years ago, when I was a young girl, I was traveling across the states...stopped in Missouri...went to a small little cafe, asked them if they needed help for a few weeks. They said yes, they had a girl who was out on maturnity leave, and if I could fill in to help, that would be great. So I waitressed there, and when I left, the owner gave me my pay in an envelope. I opened it, and there was a thank you note, with an additional 50 dollars. I started to cry. So, don't tell me, people are not nice?

When I arrived in Ok, got another job cleaning motel rooms. Same story...those people were great. Plus we met Cherokees, and they invited us to a family pow wow. They were great.

Maybe I was lucky? Times were different then, but I've had the blessed opportunity to meet some of the nicest people in my lifetime...

I talk to people where ever I go...people are willing to talk...to tell you stories about themselves, their lives...they are amazing...

fooy on the nay sayers...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-30-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
paying for other peoples stuff you dont know in the grocery line is perceived by some as codependent behavior.
More so than perceived, IT IS!

There are all kinds of nice people out there. I've had great impromptu coversations with people in public...the line of demarcation is if there is (is not) an ulterior motive.

One thing, though: I've noticed that, upon shelving some long-term friends, it's not that easy to replace those friends. What usually happens is that these friendships were planted at a time when there was a lot in common, and no ulterior motives, and, later, people grow apart and the reasons for that level of friendship are no longer there.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is great, cpg. For me, it's even easier to strike up conversations in non-urban or suburban areas of NJ/NY/PA...but then, considering my sometimes caustic and in-your-face style, it's no surprise.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,273,444 times
I am embarrassed to say I do the same types of things...it drives my husband crazy but I figure, this is my community and I should know the folks I share this space with!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
...it drives my husband crazy but I figure, this is my community and I should know the folks I share this space with!

^5s! My wife won't let me get into those long jabber-sessions when we're both at the store (although SHE does it herself). That's why I'm dangerous when I'm out there by myself!

I suppose it's also because when we're together we're more apt to be talking to each other and less apt to strike up a conversation with a stranger.

But the ones I spend a lot of time with are those old acquaintances that I run into all the time. I've lived in this town for nearly 38 years, and at one time I probably knew half the people here. I was out day and night 5 days a week to various functions and just dealt with a huge number of people. And then I just kinda retired from the human race about 20 years ago. (My barber always asks me, "Whatchoo been up to?" And I have to tell him that the highlight of my social life is getting my hair cut every month. That and going to the grocery store.

So I can't go to the grocery store or courthouse without running into somebody who I haven't seen in 10 or 20 years. I think half of them are surprised I'm still alive!

I spotted the produce department friend headed my way yesterday from halfway down the isle. I think the last time I saw her was at my late wife's funeral 13 years ago. I watched the smile come onto her face like, "Is that who I think it is?" And the closer she got the bigger the smile got, and then she throws her arms around me for a hug and proceeds to tell me everything "new" in her life. Then asks what I've been up to. "Nothin."

That's why my wife cuts those conversations short. (Cuz there's so many of 'em.) We ran into our U.S. Senator in the same store last year. I've known him well for 38 years. I introduced him to my wife. "Hi," she says. "It's nice to meet you. (shakes hands) Newk, we've got to get going. It was nice meeting you, Mike." (We ended up chatting for few, but she doesn't cut me much rope.)

Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,690,406 times
I know no one here where we moved....I talk to everyone...I'm just that way....I can tell you all about EL's bday vacation on Beverly Hills....(he's the night mgr at the 7-11)...My closer neighbors always have something to say when I am outside running the snot out of the dogs.....and oh lord...both DH and I at a grocery store?
Actually I am embarrassed now....
DH is way worse than I am...and I am pretty bad....
WE'RE FRIENDLY....

Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Actually I am embarrassed now....
I dont think it is anything to be embarrassed about. What a sad world it would be if people did't talk to strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships