Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 PM

345 posts, read 643,796 times

Advertisements

Haha, looks like I wasn't the first person to check the OP's location after reading the post. Glad that it works for you, but try that in Jersey and you'll have F' Bombs dropping on you so hard you'd think you were in WWII Berlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,171,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
One of my favorite things to do is tell the cashier at the grocery store to go ahead and ring my stuff up on the person in front of me's bill. I've gotten some great responses and its always been in fun, I had a cashier tell me last week that she was going to try it with some fillet mignon...lol
I met a couple this morning while jogging and talked off and on for 2 of the 5 miles on this beautiful trail that takes in a creek, a waterfall, a lake and a swamp. Its one of my favorite spots to run and I'll meet college age people right on up to these 4 old ladies that always walk together. Last night when I ran there it was cold and raining so I did it in a t shirt and hoodie and only saw one other person as insane as I am. This morning it was blue skies, turtles basking on a log and the people were back.
I'm not saying I'd want to be lifelong friends with everyone I meet but when I'm out I can't help but meet a lot of people. I was out running with my dog last week and this college girl I stumbled onto stretching in the grass told me about a trail I'd never been on and she was even nice enough to show me how to get to it.
Well, to each his own is my motto. On the very few occasions that I have jogged the very, very LAST thing I would want was somebody trying to hold a conversation with me. I would expect them to move along and if they did not, I would certainly find an excuse to stop or start going in another direction.

Not everyone is gregarious. Not everyone enjoys the company of others ESPECIALLY strangers. I guard my "me" time jealously and woe the lad or lassie who wanders carelessly into my space during that time.

I find often it is all too easy to make friends - especially unwanted ones. But again YMMV.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 03-30-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: remove redunant speech

Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,382,490 times
Sorry I had to take my youngest to work...I'm back for a few.

lol huckleberry

Hi there 2mares, I honestly don't meet many weird people on any trails.
My brother though while hiking one day ran across a guy hiking in the buff which was pretty weird.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
Oh gawd! I made a quick run to the grocery store last night to pick up a few items. It took me over two hours. Then another hour to tell my wife about all the people I talked to -- mostly strangers. Although I've been told that I've never met a stranger, I think they really mean that I've never met anyone stranger than myself.

I talked to one gal for a good half hour in the produce department. I hadn't seen her in 10-12 years. We got caught up on each other's lives. Then there was the gal in the liquor department who was just in town for the week. I don't know her name, but I know all about her family, where she lives, what she does, what she drives, that she's about to become a grandma, that she doesn't like snow.... And the checkout clerk. I had to cut that conversation short because the people behind me in line were getting antsy, but I did find out that he recently moved to town and where he moved from.

Then I come home and talk to more people I don't know on C-D.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Haha, looks like I wasn't the first person to check the OP's location after reading the post. Glad that it works for you, but try that in Jersey and you'll have F' Bombs dropping on you so hard you'd think you were in WWII Berlin
Actually I've done the same in NY, NJ it doesn't matter where I am, I'm from NY just living in TN now. I made my wife real nervous one day leaving the city to go out to LI and some guy with a busted bottle behind his back wanted to chat...lol
I'm not stupid.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

36,651 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Hi there 2mares, I honestly don't meet many weird people on any trails.
My brother though while hiking one day ran across a guy hiking in the buff which was pretty weird.
Never seen complete nudity. Seen one guy taking a dump right in the middle of the trail and one guy continuing to urinate as I rode by. I waited 10 minutes for him to finish or turn around but he just held his junk in one hand and wave with the other as he gave me a howdy.

Ive met all kinds. 99% very nice folks. Im way out on logging trails alot where you wouldnt think you would see another person.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I havent traveled much but I think Wyoming has TN beat on friendliness. The DH and I drove out there once. I have never met so many helpful friendly people.
As a Wyomingite, I'll take that as a compliment for all 500,000 of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
My late wife was from Bergen County, and I was surprised to find it very easy to start up a conversation there too. People from there seem to move at a faster pace (my wife was always walking into the automatic doors here), but they seemed very friendly.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
...My brother though while hiking one day ran across a guy hiking in the buff which was pretty weird.
LOL My daughter and her husband did too! And then a couple more. Then they discovered they were hiking on a nudist trail.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Thats pretty funny 2mares.

I think with the right personality you can get away with anything no matter where you live.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM

36,651 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Well what are ya gona do. I just said howdy, nice weather we're havin today and rode on. He was still peeing. Must of had some prostate problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships