Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,336,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Maybe you are just now starting to see what she is really like. You mentioned she was in a bad relationship where she was treated poorly. Perhaps she went through a phase where her self esteem was low (around the time she met you?) and now that she's got the wind back in her sails you are seeing who she really is, even if it took four years. People sometimes tend to be a bit more humble when they are down and out. If she was going through a rut all those years and is now strong again this could be who she really is and you may have to re-evaluate your friendship if it's causing this much concern.
This is wise advice.

Circumstances play a huge role in showing one's character. If a person remains humble even in the middle of success, that shows a lot. And if a person remains optimistic, diligent, and high-spirited through great difficulty, it shows a lot as well.

It's harder to do the former than the latter... but if humility is there even when the person has many reasons to get cocky, that's a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:27 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,390,078 times
OP, it's cliche, but we can only really control ourselves.

People do change, and we cannot really stop that.

Confront her, but not aggressively, that her behaviour now is different. If it is something that she is not willing to forego, then you may have to re-evaluate the relationship.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,902,721 times
If you do choose to go on the trip with her and still want to bring up the topic in a heart-to-heart, by all means, pick a good time for it, maybe on the way back. You don't want to make her angry and have her leave you stranded somewhere.

Sounds like this trip might be your friendship's swan song if one person is getting more annoying and the other person is no longer willing to put up with the personality quirks.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,020,703 times
I love my daughter's attitude. She just tells her best friend point blank. I think it's the best test for a true friendship, no games, no p u s s y-footing around about it; if it survives it, it was/is a true friendship. Hers survives it. They sometimes fight like sisters but they always bounce back.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,416,913 times
wow, thanks for all the words!

Jay-no I'm not in high school and ya maybe the friendship is changing. I have backed off a lot actually. I haven't made much contact with her because she was always too busy so I just let her be. I've made contact a few times to invite her to things though, but that's it.

sprawling-I'm actually pretty much like that too. I don't really make much effort to keep people around that aren't a positive in my life. but I do think this friendship is worth saving, I just don't think it's worth having another negative in my life (I have enough hardships going on at the moment). and you're right, she was very humble with her ex and oddly, a lot more fun to be around despite how much crap she was going through. I thought she'd be more fun when the ex was out of the picture, but the opposite is true..I was disappointedly surprised. I'm actually worried that her current boyfriend is gonna wake up one day and realize he doesn't want a cocky, full of herself girlfriend/potential wife, but meh, not much I can do to save her from that..I think she'll need that karma.

samston-I know people change, I guess I just don't like it! lol. I'll confront her nicely then when I get a chance..whenever that may be, ha!

cricket- that's what I'm worried about. That there won't ever be a good time to bring anything up because we're going to be concerned about getting to our destinations on time and she's a stress case in situations like that. I just see it destroying our friendship even more and that's the last thing I need on my birthday..I've had enough crappy birthdays the past few years so I'd like to enjoy this one for a change.

whyte-you know, our friendship used to be like that..I don't know what happened. the rest of my close friends, I've grown to have the balls to tell them when I don't like something and so far so good with them since I mean enough enough to them! the rest of them are no longer my friends now..oh well.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
OK, so why are HER feelings more important than yours?
You can either continue to let her upset you, or you can honestly tell her that you find her new attitude off-putting. What do you have to lose? You don't enjoy her now, so why are you so afraid of distancing yourself from her?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
I had a 'best friend' but once I came along in life (degrees, married) she turned stone cold because she was a year older, still bar hopping, meeting losers, and generally still living like a stilted adolescent.

I keep saying people will like you and be friendly till you exceed them.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, so why are HER feelings more important than yours?
You can either continue to let her upset you, or you can honestly tell her that you find her new attitude off-putting. What do you have to lose? You don't enjoy her now, so why are you so afraid of distancing yourself from her?
I guess I just don't like upsetting people, especially if they're going through a rough time (her parents divorce), but you're right, I'll tell her, she's a big girl .

Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I had a 'best friend' but once I came along in life (degrees, married) she turned stone cold because she was a year older, still bar hopping, meeting losers, and generally still living like a stilted adolescent.

I keep saying people will like you and be friendly till you exceed them.
funny you say that, because so far, she's exceeded me (no degree yet for her, but amazing boyfriend who has serious long term potential, while I'm still meeting not losers necessarily, but guys that are wrong for me)..but I'm happy for her, I'm not jealous at all. I guess its because I do other things besides go to bars and I don't live like a stilted adolescent, and I'm almost able to completely financially rely on myself lol.

I know she has always stated that she thinks I'm hot and wishes she had boobs like mine and every time I let her borrow my clothes, she complains that I look better than her in them..it was always annoying since I'm not someone who really cares what my friends look like. I don't think she's jealous of me in some way, but who knows, maybe that's where she feels that I exceed her. I'm secure in a lot of ways and so is she..so its weird, lol. Either way, its not really important to discuss with her..actions are enough for me.

meh..but I'll just talk to her about her attitude whenever I can.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,281,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Is the friendship worth saving? If so, talk to your friend. If not, let it fade.
^^^^ This.

It can't hurt to have a one-on-one with your friend. You can always couch it in terms of wondering if something is up with her. If you're worried about how she'll receive the info, don't do it in public. You could even do it at her place, where she feels comfortable.

Be gentle, diplomatic, and kind about it, like, "I was wondering... Is something going on? You kind of don't seem like yourself these days."

She'll probably then ask you what you mean, and you can take it from there. Emphasize her good traits in order to illustrate how the bad stuff is out of character for her. Who knows? Maybe something is going on, and she's just waiting for someone to notice and ask.

And if she gets defensive or gives you an attitude, then you know where the friendship is headed, and you can move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships