Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:51 AM

57 posts, read 425,817 times

Advertisements

Ben hits the nail on the head. The racial strife in Rocky Mount sucks, and has led to some of its downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 AM

57 posts, read 425,817 times
[quote=ncsu99;307473]That's what I was wondering too. I grew up in the RockyMount/Wilson area, and trust me those percentages are false.

According to Wikipedia, Rocky Mount is 56% African American and 41% white.

Wilson is 48% African American and 47% are white. The Hispanic population has risen in the last few years so these numbers may not reflect that.

Always research for the facts, and never just trust anyone's opinion and perception of an area alone.

Oh, and each of these cities has their bad areas and their good areas, just like Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte; just on a smaller scale. Rocky Mount and Wilson are basically sister cities if you ask me; similar size, population, demographics, and location. In my opinion the shopping is actually a tad better in Rocky Mount than in Wilson. Parkwood Mall just sucks if you ask me. There is a new owner trying to improve it though. Golden East in RM is by far the better of the two malls.[/QUOTE]

The atmosphere in Parkwood is 100 times better than Golden East. I dont see the low lifes in Parkwood like I have in Golden East.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
[quote=Wire120;8186088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
That's what I was wondering too. I grew up in the RockyMount/Wilson area, and trust me those percentages are false.

According to Wikipedia, Rocky Mount is 56% African American and 41% white.

Wilson is 48% African American and 47% are white. The Hispanic population has risen in the last few years so these numbers may not reflect that.

Always research for the facts, and never just trust anyone's opinion and perception of an area alone.

Oh, and each of these cities has their bad areas and their good areas, just like Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte; just on a smaller scale. Rocky Mount and Wilson are basically sister cities if you ask me; similar size, population, demographics, and location. In my opinion the shopping is actually a tad better in Rocky Mount than in Wilson. Parkwood Mall just sucks if you ask me. There is a new owner trying to improve it though. Golden East in RM is by far the better of the two malls.[/QUOTE]

The atmosphere in Parkwood is 100 times better than Golden East. I dont see the low lifes in Parkwood like I have in Golden East.
Growing up in the mount and living here now are 2 different things:

The POINT is the EDGECOMBE side of RM: Here's the demo for a RM duplex in RM

% 2009 White Population 11%% 2009 Black Population 82%

Rock City Schools (edgecombe/downtown)

Pope Elem. 98%
Williford Elem. 95%
Baskerville Elem. 98%
Johnson Elem. 99%
Braswell Elem. 97%

Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 AM

10 posts, read 22,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
I like the above poster grew up most of my life in Detroit, and I now Live in Rocky Mount, on the edgecombe county side. Rocky mount is 90% african american, 5% hispanic, and 5% white. Most of rocky mount is poor, and the housing is probably something lie you would find in the slums of cleveland. The food in rocky mount is bad compared to wilson. Wilson is a way better place to live, and the stores and malls are a little better in wilson. There is plenty good places to eat in wilson too, and wilson has easy access to raliegh and greenville on US264, and I95. Rocky mount is about the same distance from raliegh as wilson, but rocky mount looks more like the projects in cleveland, and wilson looks more like akron.
NCTarheel07, I have to disagree with you here. Wilson is a way better place to live? Are you kidding me? I visited Wilson a few times, and although they have a couple good restaurants, it seemed like a pretty dead city to me. Additionally, every restaurant I visited in Wilson had a television tuned into Fox News, which goes to show what simpletons live there. I've also been to Rocky Mount on several occasions and it was a progressive, vibrant city. Yes, there was a sizable amount of poverty, but that has nothing to do with the fine residents and everything to do with the U.S. economy, which rewards big business for outsourcing jobs overseas.

Places like Rocky Mount and Henderson have been unfairly judged simply because there is such a high unemployment rate. Ever wonder why the unemployment rate is so high? It's because the corporate criminals ship jobs to places like Vietnam and the Philippines in order to pay employees slave wages. The minimum wage in Vietnam is 65 cents an hour. Any business that outsources jobs there or to other impoverished countries out there should be bankrupted. Newsflash, the mall in the wonderful city of Wilson closed in 2013. Rocky Mount's mall is still thriving and your statement about the housing is stupid and unjust. It's simply more affordable housing. I'd much rather live in Rocky Mount than Raleigh or Durham. The housing prices are ridiculous out there!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,396,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1980 View Post
NCTarheel07, I have to disagree with you here. Wilson is a way better place to live? Are you kidding me? I visited Wilson a few times, and although they have a couple good restaurants, it seemed like a pretty dead city to me. Additionally, every restaurant I visited in Wilson had a television tuned into Fox News, which goes to show what simpletons live there. I've also been to Rocky Mount on several occasions and it was a progressive, vibrant city. Yes, there was a sizable amount of poverty, but that has nothing to do with the fine residents and everything to do with the U.S. economy, which rewards big business for outsourcing jobs overseas.

Places like Rocky Mount and Henderson have been unfairly judged simply because there is such a high unemployment rate. Ever wonder why the unemployment rate is so high? It's because the corporate criminals ship jobs to places like Vietnam and the Philippines in order to pay employees slave wages. The minimum wage in Vietnam is 65 cents an hour. Any business that outsources jobs there or to other impoverished countries out there should be bankrupted. Newsflash, the mall in the wonderful city of Wilson closed in 2013. Rocky Mount's mall is still thriving and your statement about the housing is stupid and unjust. It's simply more affordable housing. I'd much rather live in Rocky Mount than Raleigh or Durham. The housing prices are ridiculous out there!
As an FYI, you're responding to a 10 year old post from someone who hasn't posted on this site since 2008.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:18 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1980 View Post

NCTarheel07 hasn't been active on this site since January 2009 so s/he isn't going to be reading your post here bud. You're wasting your time with this response.

Not sure why older threads like this one get brought back from the dead, there seem to be a lot of them lately. In order to reply to these threads one has to go back several pages anyways which should be an indicator for how long the thread has been sitting dormant. Or perhaps someone googles random words together and the search takes the individual to the older thread and the poster doesn't look at the time/date stamps?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 AM

926 posts, read 831,767 times
After 10 minutes of analyzing and thinking to myself; I would much rather live in High Point and Spring Lake than anythiny in that area.
Both cities are constantly neglected by Roy Cooper and will probably remain that way until 2020. Rocky Mount is getting some sort of train thing, so with the job markets of both cities, that gives Rocky Mount a clear advantage of 20 points.
I'd like to see both cities thrive.
It's also obvious after visiting that both cities are trying to copy Fayetteville in many ways. Especially Jacksonville. It's pretty cool, some if not all of there new districts are like mini Fayetteville's.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:23 AM

6,385 posts, read 5,512,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
NCTarheel07 hasn't been active on this site since January 2009 so s/he isn't going to be reading your post here bud. You're wasting your time with this response.

Not sure why older threads like this one get brought back from the dead, there seem to be a lot of them lately. In order to reply to these threads one has to go back several pages anyways which should be an indicator for how long the thread has been sitting dormant. Or perhaps someone googles random words together and the search takes the individual to the older thread and the poster doesn't look at the time/date stamps?
I'm pretty sure it's that one...

Someone is angry/upset/curious about how people view their hometown....so they google "abc town is better than xyz town" in a fervor and get to ranting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina