Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,752 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from California (San Diego) to North Carolina.
I am a recent lay-off in the IT field. Now, before anyone chime in about the IT industry -i know it's been one of the hardest industries hit by the economy.
But, it is the field i am familiar with and hoping to transition into health/care IT field.
Raleigh/Durham is the area i am aiming for because of RTP. Also, Durham NC-Duke Hospital. I am also not oppose to Charlotte, NC. Raleigh/Durham is the first choice -because i am originally from G'boro, NC.
California has been labeled the first failed state due to its massive budget deficit. So the sooner i am out of here the better.
Looking for apts/townhomes to rent in areas between RTP and downtown Raleigh, preferably 2bdrms. I am hoping to find rents around $700-$800 a month in good areas.
Don't know what rents are going for -but i am sure they're more reasonably priced than San Diego..
Suggestions are welcome -thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltdale View Post
I am looking to relocate from California (San Diego) to North Carolina.
I am a recent lay-off in the IT field. Now, before anyone chime in about the IT industry -i know it's been one of the hardest industries hit by the economy.
But, it is the field i am familiar with and hoping to transition into health/care IT field.
Raleigh/Durham is the area i am aiming for because of RTP. Also, Durham NC-Duke Hospital. I am also not oppose to Charlotte, NC. Raleigh/Durham is the first choice -because i am originally from G'boro, NC.
California has been labeled the first failed state due to its massive budget deficit. So the sooner i am out of here the better.
Looking for apts/townhomes to rent in areas between RTP and downtown Raleigh, preferably 2bdrms. I am hoping to find rents around $700-$800 a month in good areas.
Don't know what rents are going for -but i am sure they're more reasonably priced than San Diego..
Suggestions are welcome -thanks....

While I don't blame you for bailing out of California asap, NC may not be the right place to shoot for right now.

You can glean some good info on this recent thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...porations.html

Best of luck wherever you land

Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Do not move here without a job first. NC already has some of the highest unemployment in the nation, and if you move here without meaningful employment you will only contribute to NC becoming the next failed state.

Once you figure out where you'll be working, narrowing down a place to live will be much easier.

Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Greensboro, W-S, etc... are all worthy of being included on your job searches as all are nice places to live.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM

I appreciate everyone opinions...but i am unemployed now and living off severances and unemployment.
NC unemployment maybe high -but California is at least the third or fourth highest in the country right now...

Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltdale View Post
I appreciate everyone opinions...but i am unemployed now and living off severances and unemployment.
NC unemployment maybe high -but California is at least the third or fourth highest in the country right now...
I understand...not an easy predicament. However, why not look at the states with the lowest unemployment? I realize NC might be an appealing place to you, but if you can't find work here you'll be no better off than you are in CA. NC's unemployment as of late 2009 was 7.9% (Rank 44) vs. CA at 8.4% (Rank 48)...it's not a much better scenario here. Instead, WY, the Dakotas, Utah and Nebraska all have unemployment below 4%. If you want milder climates, consider NM or OK. Even NC's neighbor to the north, Virginia, has a MUCH lower unemployment rate than we do (4.8%).

If you're dead set on moving to NC, I'd recommend checking out unemployment by county and even more so, by the type of work you're looking for. WRAL has a nice interactive map for county statistics: North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com It clearly shows that the three major population rank best to worst for unemployment: 1-Triangle 2-Triad 3-Charlotte Metro. However, the cost of living in those areas, as well as Asheville and the coastal areas, is considerably higher than most of the more rural areas where unemployment is higher.

So, go ahead...spend good money to move to Raleigh or Charlotte only to find that it's nowhere near as cheap as you were led to believe and that it's almost as difficult to find work as in CA...possibly even more so since you would be leaving a network behind in California. If you choose that route, please just don't come on these boards to gripe about the situation.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I understand...not an easy predicament. However, why not look at the states with the lowest unemployment? I realize NC might be an appealing place to you, but if you can't find work here you'll be no better off than you are in CA. NC's unemployment as of late 2009 was 7.9% (Rank 44) vs. CA at 8.4% (Rank 48)...it's not a much better scenario here. Instead, WY, the Dakotas, Utah and Nebraska all have unemployment below 4%. If you want milder climates, consider NM or OK. Even NC's neighbor to the north, Virginia, has a MUCH lower unemployment rate than we do (4.8%).

If you're dead set on moving to NC, I'd recommend checking out unemployment by county and even more so, by the type of work you're looking for. WRAL has a nice interactive map for county statistics: North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com It clearly shows that the three major population rank best to worst for unemployment: 1-Triangle 2-Triad 3-Charlotte Metro. However, the cost of living in those areas, as well as Asheville and the coastal areas, is considerably higher than most of the more rural areas where unemployment is higher.

So, go ahead...spend good money to move to Raleigh or Charlotte only to find that it's nowhere near as cheap as you were led to believe and that it's almost as difficult to find work as in CA...possibly even more so since you would be leaving a network behind in California. If you choose that route, please just don't come on these boards to gripe about the situation.

Exactly my point

And within a few hours of Raleigh I'd suggest he head to Richmond - the unemployment rate there is very low compared to the rest of the country

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the information -i just looked up the state of California and it's unemployment rate as of Dec 09 is 12.4%. Don't know where you are getting your information but the state of cali has been in the 12% range for some time now...
I know the cost of living is probably high the places you mention -but believe me when i tell you -the cost here vs the places you mention does not compete with California... but thanks for the info....

Richmond is a consideration... i will be traveling in those areas around spring time -just to get a fill of what's going on...

Last edited by cltdale; 02-26-2010 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM

I just found a really cool interactive chart on google which uses the US Bureau of Labor Statistics data. You can select multiple states to see historic trends up to the current. Per their data, CA is at 12.1%, NC at 10.9% and Virginia at only 6.7%.
Google - public data

Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks...for the information.
Let's just hope we can all get back to working and building our lives...if not there will be more marches in the streets...

Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
I don't think that people really understand how expensive California is for anyone, no less those without work. I think you'll find the Triangle to be cheap in comparison. My take is that the more educated and skilled people that move to the Triangle, the better positioned it will be in the future. Now, that future might not be immediate but it will come.
In the end, what would one rather be: the metro that's bleeding educated, skilled individuals or the one that is attracting them? For me, the answer is an easy one.
The Triangle is suffering like much of the rest of the country. But, the Triangle is fairing better than most of the state and I think that the Triangle will outperform the majority of the country as the economy stabalizes and recovers.
If you can come to the area and sustain your life for while, I think it's a better idea than staying in a place like CA where you will be financially bled to death quicker. But, that's just my opinion.
For those in the Triangle, consider that money spent in the Triangle on rent, food, utilities, etc. strengthens our local economy. As Andy Dufresne said in "Shawshank Redemption"...."Get busy living or get busy dying". I'd rather see the former than the latter. But, that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina