Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,086 times

Advertisements

Hi - I need some info from a CPA or who knows the NC tax code.

I just bought a lot near Black Mountain and intend to build a house in 1-3 years. I'm considering installing a geothermal HVAC system when the house is built. I know I can get a 30% tax credit from the Feds and a 35% tax credit from NC. I expect the system to cost between $25-40K depending on the tonnage I need (likely between 4-5 tons). If I recall correctly, in NC the credit can't be larger than 1/2 the total tax bill but any remainder can also be carried forward until it's used up.

I don't live in NC but plan to move there in 1-3 years. My question is about the requirements for taking the NC tax credit. I know I have to file a NC tax return so I have to be a NC resident. Would I qualify for a partial year tax credit? If so I assume it would be best to move as early in the year as possible? If I"m a partial year resident can I still carry the remainder forward? Also I think the code talks about 'the year it's put in service". What does that mean - when it's installed, or paid for or when I as owner start to use it?

Without the NC tax credit, the geothermal system doesn't make sense. With the credit it becomes almost the same cost or a bit more than a normal heat pump HVAC system. Even if it costs a bit more, the electricity savings over the 30 year lifetime will likely pay for it.

Comments? Anyone have one care to comment? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM

108 posts, read 272,800 times
Very good question, I am in the same boat. I plan on moving in 2-4 years and want to use geothermal, I have used GSHP since 1986 in my current Michigan home and been very happy with it and would like to use one in Western NC once I'm able to make the move.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Your best bet is to call and ask a tax accountant not a CPA. Not all CPA's are tax accountants....I wouldn't go by what someone on a forum says. You could end up completely screwed in the end and what would you say to the nice fellow from the tax department..."hey buddy you're wrong....just look on the City Data forum!" LOL

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 16,525 times
Hello all,
I am an IGSHPA member and accredited driller. We have done and are currently doing closed loop and open loop gethermal jobs in the Greater Charlotte area and beyond. I would be happy to help answer any question to the best of my knowledge.

www.darbywelldrilling.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina