Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

22 posts, read 72,827 times

Advertisements

I have read through tons of pages here and I am still trying to figure this out. Hubby is deploying with National Guard and will be looking for civilian IT manager/director job when he returns in fall 2011. Currently he is a civilian contractor in the Atlanta area whose major work is moving with the BRAC to Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville area. Company is definitely willing to relocate him to Ft. Bragg (or Fairfax VA - which I won't do). I am a federal employee in Atlanta with offices in Charlotte (too far) and Raleigh. Hubby and I each drive 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours each way from our current home to work (different directions).

We have 4 kids from 12 to 9 months. One child is very gifted and another child is profoundly disabled. We need a strong school system that can reach both of their needs. Both would be in middle school when the move occurs. The third child would be entering Kindergarten and the baby in daycare.

We need an area where we can buy (and adapt) or build a home to accommodate the disabled child, $450k or less, at least 4 bedrooms. Currently we live in suburbia, 50 miles south of Atlanta, in a swim, tennis, golf community in a 4 BR, 4 Bath ranch on full basement, accessible features in house, 3 car garage etc. There isn't much near us but we just drive to wherever we need to go.

I know I may not be able to get all of this in the move, but where to begin looking for subdivisions/neighborhoods that can get us close?

Priority will be the house (because of disabled child)and neighborhood and schools. Distance to drive to work can be an hour for each of us. Prefer less but willing to do it for the right location.

PS - if anyone knows anything about all star competitive cheerleading, we will need to find the 2 girls a gym as well (mini1 and Youth 4/5).

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
I’m sure someone with better knowledge than me will eventually chime in, but in general I can say you will probably want to look at the Lee County/Sanford, NC area.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 PM

22 posts, read 72,827 times
Thanks that's a start. What is that area of North Carolina referred to? I see RTP which I figured out was Research Triangle Park, The Triad? Is there a name/area for Sanford/Lee County?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Wasn't there a thread just on this?

I would say look near US1. As for the schools, I have no idea. US1 South will take you to Fort Bragg, while North with take you to Raleigh.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,344 times
Sanford would be a great choice between the two. You can google search Floyd L. Knight for a school for disabled children and cheer extreme sanford for a great cheerleading team. If you are interested in a gated community with golf, tennis and swimming check out Carolina Trace. It is closer to Ft. Bragg than Raleigh. 450k should get you what you are looking for in a house.

Sanford is kind of in the sandhills area of North Carolina. There is not much between Sanford and the Raleigh area and Sanford and the Ft. Bragg area.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM

53 posts, read 205,280 times
I've lived in both places Fairfax VA and Fayetteville NC - and have liked them both although they are vastly different locations.

In North Carolina, the closer you get to Raleigh and the Triangle from Fort Bragg the more upscale/sophistacated, less "southern"/economically depressed/small town the area becomes. Fayetteville/Fort Bragg and Raleigh are opposite ends of the living spectrum. That being said, I really like Fayetteville - but I am sure you can find some nice places to live in between Raleigh and F-Ville.

In your situation, I'd really look at Fairfax VA - the school system there is tremendous when you have children that have greater needs and their gifted & talented program is second to none.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,864 times
We currently live in Fuquay Varina, which is right between Ft Bragg and Raleigh. It's a great city in the Wake County school system, which will benefit the needs of both your children. We have lived here for over 7 years and regret that we are selling our house and relocating to IN. We have boys, so I'm not well versed in cheerleading but I know there are a lot of gyms and dance studios in this area. I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions about this area.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I am new to this area but they're are many military from Ft Bragg that live in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area. Lots of newer homes available in your price range. As far as schools, I really don't know as we are retired.

I think Raleigh is about an 1 1/2 drive from this area. 70-80 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina