Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
There is no way you can make up stats saying Charlotte is "twice the size of Louisville." It certainly does not have twice the amenities, and in my frank opinion, Charlotte is rather unimpressive and cannot compare to the cultural, restaurant, and art scene in Louisville (although Charlotte may have a better "image" on the east coast admittedly).

Out of curiosity, please explain how Charlotte cannot compare to Louisville in "cultural, restaurant and art scene". I have been to Lousiville twice and thought it was nice but not a bastion of culture. Or is it that Charlotte has relatively none? Just asking.
That is not what I said. Charlotte is a great, growing city. It has a better image and economy than Louisville. I did not say Charlotte cannot compare, but rather that I find the culture in Louisville to be more enticing. FOR ME, and many others, it is not at all what it is cracked up to be. I did not find the local restaurants, nightlife, and shops in Charlotte to be intriguing at all. The uptown area was nice but rather unimpressive, and Charlotte simply does not have the plethora of historic, red brick neighborhoods I enjoy in a city. Also, I found the traffic too bad for a city that size. Again, everyone can have their own opinions about a city, but facts are facts. Charlotte is nowhere near twice as big as Louisville, and that fact stands! Both cities are nice southern cities that I think people from further north may consider as spots for relocation. Both have many amenities that would surprise most people from larger cities, but each city has its downsides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM

163 posts, read 525,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
That is not what I said. Charlotte is a great, growing city. It has a better image and economy than Louisville. I did not say Charlotte cannot compare, but rather that I find the culture in Louisville to be more enticing. FOR ME, and many others, it is not at all what it is cracked up to be. I did not find the local restaurants, nightlife, and shops in Charlotte to be intriguing at all. The uptown area was nice but rather unimpressive, and Charlotte simply does not have the plethora of historic, red brick neighborhoods I enjoy in a city. Also, I found the traffic too bad for a city that size. Again, everyone can have their own opinions about a city, but facts are facts. Charlotte is nowhere near twice as big as Louisville, and that fact stands! Both cities are nice southern cities that I think people from further north may consider as spots for relocation. Both have many amenities that would surprise most people from larger cities, but each city has its downsides.
Thanks. A good honest reply. In your honest opinion where do you see both cities in let's say five, ten years.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
The original poster is looking for comparisons betweeen Charlotte Greensboro and Raliegh not cities in other states

Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Greensboro, North Carolina (population 240,000) (251,000 in July of 2008)

various downtown scenes

a little about Greensboro

Greensboro "The Gate City" is home to fortune 500 company VF Corp (world's largest appearal company and is the maker of Wrangler Jeans), Volvo Trucks - North American headquarters, Lincoln Financial (U.S. insurance headquarters), RF Micro Devices (world's largest RF micro chip maker), World headquarters for Honda Jet (along with a planned jet factory), Corporate headquarters for Lorillard Tobacco Company (nation's third largest cigarette maker. Its popular brand is Newport) Also in 2009 the mid-Atlantic air cargo FedEx hub will open at Piedmont Triad Intl Airport in Greensboro. The hub is the reason a number of companies have built and will build manufacturing facilties in the area. Even though FedEx is not open yet, the hub is a big reason Dell opened a computer factory in the Greensboro area. It also played a key role in Greensboro landing the world headquarter and manufacturing facilty for Honda Aircraft Company. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro and NC A&T State University are building a joint research park called "Gateway University Research Park" the park will house labs and research facilties for biotech, nanotech and other research & developments sectors. The research park in combination with other infrastructure such as the FedEx hub and the city's complex system of 5 interstates (I-40, I-85, futures I-73, I-74, I-785 and the I-840 beltway) will help attract more high paying, hightech jobs to Greensboro.

Greensboro has a number of pro level golf couses such as Forest Oaks Country Club, home of the PGA Wyndham Champioship, one of the oldest PGA events on the tour. Greensboro's PGA tournament was founded in 1938 and back then was known as the Greater Greensboro Open.

Other courses in Greensboro:

Bryan Park
Sedgefield Country Club
Grandover Resort
Starmount Country Club

Greensboro is definatly a golf community and has a variety of shopping options such as Four Seasons Town Centre and the Shops at Friendly Center which has a number of upscale stores and restaurants such as Brooks Brothers and PF Changs. About 20 miles west you'll find the state's largest mall in Winston-Salem (Hanes Mall) Greensboro is a great place to live because it along with the rest of the Triad have a variety of cultural attractions. Greensboro's location is a big plus because its about midway between Charlotte and Raleigh so both Charlotte and Raleigh are within an hour and a half drive. Greensboro is a great place because its like a small town and a big city at the same time. You get the best of both worlds.

downtown Greensboro is going through major downtown revitialization. A new ballpark opened downtown back in 2005 along with a new center-city park, numerous condos both affordable and high end. There are a number of restaurants and nightclubs that have open downtown. Downtown is usually packed with people between 10 pm and 3 am on the weekends. current downtown proposals include a merry-go-round with a caroseul house, highrise condo/boutique hotel and a potential mystery $300 million downtown mega-development called "Greensboro Triumph Center". It would include a convention center, 4-star 20-story luxury hotel, a cluster of midrises and highrises which would include an 18-story tower (office& condos), shopping, a 2,000 seat restaurant/entertainment venue that would attract national acts and an entertainment complex. The entertainment complex in this downtown mega development would include a multiplex theater, 3D IMAX, bowling alley, skating rink, simulator rides, children's rides and resturants. The convention center would have a shopping plaza.

One thing about Greensboro is that its a city for everyone. It can be fast paced for urbanites or it can be laid back and slow pace.

here is a photo tour of downtown Greensboro which includes some current construction projects
(you may have to copy and paste the links)

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...struction.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...ro-photos.html

some images of the Grandover Resort & Conference Center in Greensboro

http://www.landdesign.com/html/casestudies/images/grandover.jpg (broken link)
http://cadinc.com/news/events/images/ithott1.jpg (broken link)

also some cool 3d pics inside the Grandover

Technipix Virtual Images::: See it Clearly. (broken link)

The Joseph S Koury Convention Center in Greensboro is located adjacent to Four Seasons Town Center shopping mall. With over 1,000 rooms its the largest convention hotel between Atlanta and Washington, DC. The hotel cinsist of two towers (one 15-stories and the other 28-stories) and has several restaurants and a nightclub called "Club Fifth Season". The convention center is located a mile south of the state's largest arena (The Greensboro Coliseum) The Koury Convention Center combined with a potential downtown convention center just as large as the Koury would make Greensboro a big convention destination.

Last edited by gsoboi; 09-17-2007 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
another nice scene in downtown Greensboro

Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The original poster is looking for comparisons betweeen Charlotte Greensboro and Raliegh not cities in other states
I agree, but I do see raleigh-Durham as my favorite of those three, and the most progressive in NC. Maybe its the fact that it has more colleges in the region, but I like the nightlife and culture better than Charlotte. I have been to Charlotte several times on business, but only to Raliegh-Durham for a week and I liked the area. The Triad did not impress me much, it seemed more like a collection of small towns than a metro of one million.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM

74 posts, read 100,727 times
Of course STX12499...choose the SMALLER of the -3-...of course from Louisville 3 times smaller than Charlotte...that is why they would like Raleighwood....BORING!!!

If anything ever happens in NC or comes to NC....it comes to Charlotte.

Louisville is a very dirty river TOWN!!!

Go to city data.com and compare the CITY popultaion....Charlotte os over twice the size...

You must live in lively Shivley!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:19 PM

241 posts, read 755,976 times
Someone is rushing to judgement Charlotte is a dynamic, progressive, and diverse city! The city has everything I need and more. I dont know what you look for in a city. What kind of nightlife and culture most impresses you? I guarantee Charlotte has it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I agree, but I do see raleigh-Durham as my favorite of those three, and the most progressive in NC. Maybe its the fact that it has more colleges in the region, but I like the nightlife and culture better than Charlotte. I have been to Charlotte several times on business, but only to Raliegh-Durham for a week and I liked the area. The Triad did not impress me much, it seemed more like a collection of small towns than a metro of one million.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Charlotte is nowhere near what you guys are making it out to be. It has a bloated city population stat that makes you guys think it's ATL,MIA,Chi Town, etc... In reality it still gets bunched in with a so-called small city like Raleigh. Every five minutes on this board they're always getting compared. That says a lot about Raleigh, if it's getting compared so much to an "oh" so "MAJOR" city such as Charlotte.

Please.

The only difference between Charlotte and Raleigh, is that one is centralized, and the other is not. Both are similar sized areas with the same amount, yet different entertainment venues.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen City Lover View Post
Of course STX12499...choose the SMALLER of the -3-...of course from Louisville 3 times smaller than Charlotte...that is why they would like Raleighwood....BORING!!!

If anything ever happens in NC or comes to NC....it comes to Charlotte.

Louisville is a very dirty river TOWN!!!

Go to city data.com and compare the CITY popultaion....Charlotte os over twice the size...

You must live in lively Shivley!!!
Citydata has population wrong. Louisville is a clean, beautiful, river CITY that is in actuallity close to the same size as Charlotte in city population from 2006 census estimates.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, the census wont include Louisville's new post merged city, which would give a population well over 700,000.

How many dirty river towns build this? Museum Plaza Charlotte is in reality a bit bigger because it has a larger metro, but it is not even twice as big. You are obviously clueless if you use city populations to compare cities....you probably are one of those who believe Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta!!!!!

Charlotte is not much bigger than Raleigh-Durham either, and since you brought it up, it can't touch the culture of the triangle with its hipper vibe and more major universities. I am not sure why Charlotte feels it is so grand or the need to denigrate other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina