Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
when you authorize other drivers, they are insured. you're just paying for them...
My point exactly. If he's authorized to drive a friend's car, they've paid for him. So, why the non-owner insurance???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 PM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
My point exactly. If he's authorized to drive a friend's car, they've paid for him. So, why the non-owner insurance???
I think your insurance covers your car, but doesn't necessarily protect the other party in the accident from suing the non-insured driver in this case. I don't know for sure, but I like the idea of everyone having to be responsible for themselves if they want a driver's license.

Even your grandmother that didn't drive for 35 years, the fact that she wanted the privileged to drive in emergencies means she would also need insurance in my mind. Also the fact that a person who hasn't driving in 35 years would want to get behind the wheel during any sort of emergency doesn't comfort me, but I understand why it would be hard to give up something that you've had since you were a child.

In any case, the law is what it is. If you want to get around it, renew your license in California. If not then the only LEGAL options are A) Not driving B) Driving only fleet owned cars and not getting insurance or C) purchasing non-owner insurance. You could always say fleet only cars will be driven and not follow the rule, but at that point why even bother getting a license in the first place.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
I'm surprised nobody has touched on this. The reason you must carry insurance (whether you own a vehicle or not) is simply because if you do get behind the wheel of a vehicle and cause an accident with injury, you need to have coverage for the people you injur. You should have to carry Property Damage (PD) and BI (Bodily Injury), plus, I think NC is a PIP state, personal injury protection in case someone else causes an accident and they are driving without insurance, your screwed for your medical bills. I think this law makes perfect sense. I dont want anyone to be driving without insurance and hit my car with my daughter in it, and we're injured. Yes, I personally carry PIP and UM (uninsured or underinsured motorist) to protect us but for those that opt not to, its nice to know your medical care will be taken care of.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I think a lot of what people have issue with, is that typically, the idea of obtaining auto insurance corresponds with owning a car, if you own a car, then you get insurance for the car. But the idea of getting insurance simply because you have a drivers license makes no sense, since the whole point of auto insurance is to insure a car, not insure yourself in the event you may someday drive a car. You would have to provide evidence of obtaining insurance to register the vehicle anyways so it's not like you can get away with it. What about the 16 year old kids who just want to get a drivers license, but won't get a car because they are about to go to college or something. You really shouldn't be forced to obtain insurance for something you might not even do, just in case.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
HYD HYD started this thread

29 posts, read 48,491 times
Exactly ...I agree with Hoagie58 and topchief1.

If the car have insurance then it will cover everything ....All i see is this some kind of force to get more insurance ....may be the state get something out of it.

As per my knowledge ... If ur car has 2 way insurance then it will cover everything ...and was wondering what is this extra insurance on my DL ????

So i will be paying 2 times for same cause ....isn't this some kind of exploitation.

"if you can't afford insurance, how are you going to afford a car, or gas, or the damage you may cause another person if you have an accident?

I'm really amused with this Q .....its not fair enough to point in that way...insurance is pain for every one and paying it twice for same cause makes no sense ......that was the point i was referring to .

Anyhow its not really a cool..... I hope every one who comes from other state gets really pissed seeing this kind of rule ..... even the busy states like CA ,NY ....Also doesn't some thing like this ....The chance of getting accident over those when compared to here would be 8-10 times less

Anyhow ppl over here seems to be quite happy to pay so much and doesn't even think about it

Anyhow thanks for the supports guys atleast there are few ppl who are see the issues from my angle

I have to get a insurance to get my DL then ......uuuffffhhhh

Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I can't say I understand how NC is allowed to have such a law, as I find it about the strangest law involving driving I have ever heard of. I know I have had to live in a number of states in my life, and have never had to show proof of insurance except when I registered the vehicle.

At one time when I did not own a vehicle, I called State Farm to see about purchasing a policy for when I rented cars. I was told they did not sell auto insurance unless I was insuring a particular vehicle. I was told I would purchase the car insurance from the car rental agency not State Farm. So evidently in NC the insurance companies must sell car insurance based on NC strange law, of people needing to obtain car insurance even if there is no vehicle. I definitely feel that states should have in law proof of insurance when registering a vehicle. I feel the Insurance companies also should by law be forced to notify the DMV when a policy holder cancels their insurance. However for the simply act of getting a Drivers License this is utterly ridiculous and a very unfair financial burden on a person. My personal auto insurance covers me and anyone that drives my vehicle. I am sure of that because I discussed this with State Farm when I bought the policy. So right there I question NC requirement of forcing the person without a vehicle, to purchase some sort of policy for what I assume must be hundreds of dollars every 6 months.

OP in your case I would go with the DL that allows you to rent a car as a way to get your license. I don't see what else you can do. Although Im not sure if your 25, because if not you wouldn't be able to rent a car in many areas until that age. You don't need the financial burden of buying a policy for phantom vehicles, as its a complete waste of your money since you don't own one.

Good Luck. Hope your experience in NC will be more enjoyable than your dealings with the DMV. It is a beautiful state.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I'm surprised nobody has touched on this. The reason you must carry insurance (whether you own a vehicle or not) is simply because if you do get behind the wheel of a vehicle and cause an accident with injury, you need to have coverage for the people you injur. You should have to carry Property Damage (PD) and BI (Bodily Injury), plus, I think NC is a PIP state, personal injury protection in case someone else causes an accident and they are driving without insurance, your screwed for your medical bills. I think this law makes perfect sense. I dont want anyone to be driving without insurance and hit my car with my daughter in it, and we're injured. Yes, I personally carry PIP and UM (uninsured or underinsured motorist) to protect us but for those that opt not to, its nice to know your medical care will be taken care of.
Not always the case. My policy, through USAA, covers my car and any authorized drivers, just like Native_Son said. That includes PD and BI.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not always the case. My policy, through USAA, covers my car and any authorized drivers, just like Native_Son said. That includes PD and BI.
Yes, some insurance will follow any driver you give permission to drive your car. Though, working in the personal injury field previously, this is not always the case. There are plenty of drivers that have caused accidents who are not on the policy. Most insurances will cover anyone in the home driving a car. But if the OP borrows a vehicle, he's not necessarily covered. Then if he gets into an accident and is not insured, the owner of the vehicle gets sued. Which is a pain in itself, rather than everyone just being required to carry insurance.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The only thing I know is that insurance is mandatory in this state.
Except for illegals, so never try to save a buck by not buying uninsured motorists coverage. I've used it twice in the last 10 years.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 26,552 times
Hooligan.
I am very familiar with this policy in NC and other states. In NC, you have to show what is called "financial responsibility" to legaly obtain a drivers licence in the state. This policy is an order that protects the responsible people of the state in the event someone has an accident while driving an automibile on our roads. If there were to be drivers with no insurance on the road and an accident where to occur, who would cover the damages? This state law is a good one because it protects everyone involved. You may obtain a "Fleet License" if you only intend to drive a vehicle that was rented from a rental service or a vehicle which is owned by a large corporation, and already covers your driving privalege with their own insurance policy. The fleet option does cost some extra money at the DMV or so I am told, and it is a restriction that only allows you to drive those vehicles I have described. Your local DMV has more information on the subject. You may secure a vehicle and insurance in your own name at a later date and remove the restriction by paying a 10$ fee. Hope this clears things up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina