Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 25,934 times

Advertisements

We are considering selling our house in MI, to move somewhere warmer but still have the season changes. I have heard SC is still somewhat stuck on racial issues in certain areas. I was referred to NC by my pastor who grew up there and thinks it would be a good fit for me and my children. I need to narrow down a few (SAFE) cities where me and my bi racial kids would be accepted and not looked down upon. I would love for them to grow up with other minorities too. Anyone with some info, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Race is non issue in North Carolina in 21st century. There is oodles of bi-racial families living in large to small towns even SC has its fair share.
So beyond that what other criteria s you are seeking so we can give you an idea what you are looking for?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 PM

I'm looking for safe communities, I prefer to live out of a subdivision, I don't like having neighbors too close. I do still love the season changes, but here in Michigan we have nasty winters and it's taking a toll on me, I'm just looking for somewhere were my boys won't be teased for their race, and will get a good education and make positive friends. I'm currently laid off, our economy is horrible right now. (Just to give you an idea, I went on a interview recently and out of the 265 applicants only me and 6 more were called for interviews). I've always wanted to moved somewhere warmer and like I said I was referred to NC. It's very scary to pick up and move and I'm trying to research my options. My main attraction to NC is the cheaper living and the jobs are paying what we make here, and of course the better weather. I'm pretty open as to where to move there, I just don't want to move to a small, closed minded town.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
small towns and close minded don't necessarily go together in NC. Matter of fact it's the "small towns" often where you find the most "racial harmony" around here. Especially, in general, when you talk about the piedmont and the coast. There are few areas out west and between 95 and the coast that are less diverse, but even in those places most every one gets along/keep to themselves on those type issues.

Here are NC county-by-county unemployment rates:
North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com

You still need to be more specific on what you're looking for. There are literally hundreds of cities in NC that meet your criteria. What job field do you work in? How much do you expect to pay for home or for rent? What are the ages of your children? Do you want to live in the mountains, coast, or somewhere in between. Close to an interstate or airport? What level of recreation or retail are you looking for in your future home.

The stuff you asked about NC has in spades (except jobs). Figure out everything you want and it will be easier to point you in a direction to continue your research.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Good Point Mac jr, I'm 32 years old, My children are 4 and 9. I'm really not sure where I'd like to live in NC, mountains or what not. I don't know the area so it's hard for me to pin point. I know that I would still like to experience all four seasons, don't really care if I see snow or not.
I'm currently in college trying to earn my social work degree, I was recently employed as a Customer Service Rep, but basically until I earn my degree, I could work anywhere. I'm looking for a house under 120,000 with 3 or more bedrooms, 2 baths, and not located in a subdivision where houses are close together. I wouldn't mind living in a country setting, but also be close to shopping areas; grocery stores, small malls, shops, places to take kids to, and at least 15 min to an expressway. Maybe you could give me your opinion on where in NC is a better place to live; closer to the mountains? or inbetween?

Thank you for the unemployment link!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
You'll probably move where you can find work. Employment first, residence second.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
As long as your kids are social, they will be fine.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityQt313 View Post
I'm currently laid off, our economy is horrible right now. (Just to give you an idea, I went on a interview recently and out of the 265 applicants only me and 6 more were called for interviews). I've always wanted to moved somewhere warmer and like I said I was referred to NC. It's very scary to pick up and move and I'm trying to research my options. My main attraction to NC is the cheaper living and the jobs are paying what we make here, and of course the better weather. I'm pretty open as to where to move there, I just don't want to move to a small, closed minded town.
The racial question is a non-issue on most of NC, but why do you think NC is a haven for jobs? The "265 applied, 6 interviewed" is the same kind of stories we're hearing here, all over. Since you don't seem to care which particular part of the state you land in definitely find a job first and let that be your guide. the cost of living in the Raleigh or Charlotte areas will be (substantially) higher than more rural areas. I think most parts of SC (except the really rural parts) would be just as accepting as NC and the cost of living is lower there (so I hear). Since you don't have a particular reason to come to NC other than "it's not Michigan", definitely let finding a job be your beacon, whether it's NC or a neighboring state. People moving here with no job are not looked upon too kindly right now, due to NC's own high unemployment rate and continued layoffs; we are hearing that therre are hundreds of applications for every job in most parts of this state...good luck.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 AM

I will def look for a job first, but I'm trying to narrow it down what areas I'd like to apply at. I know jobs are very important, but where I live would be my major priority, as I could travel from there to my job.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
I am white and my sons are bi-racial. Could you please advise me on a where in NC we would be accepted?????

I live in Charlotte. I am a black male with a white wife, a bi-racial son, and two white step sons. Actually, I experienced more racism when I lived near the midwest than I have living in the south. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina