Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 208,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Keep in mind that tags actually expire on the 15th of the month after the sticker does. So if yours ticker says "12" you actually have until the 15th of this month.
Yes. So you better get cracking!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

63 posts, read 208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Just so you know ... the "cat efficiency" code doesn't always mean the cat is bad. OBD-2 compares the O2 sensor reading before the cat with the O2 sensor after the cat. If the signals are the same, OBD2 *assumes* your cat isn't doing its job and raises that code. It could still be as simple as a bad O2 sensor.

As far as driving, technically you have an expired tag. But DMV has really assumed enforcement of that via the new process. Keep the failure receipt with you in the car ...

Good luck,
Frank
That's right. It may just be that one or all of the O2 sensors are bad. This happened to me and I was able to fix it by replacing just the upper O2 sensor.

Chris

Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM

77 posts, read 247,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Just called the DMV... fyi....

So they do sell a 10 day permit for $5.
They tried to sell me one of these permits at my local plate agency. They also said that this permit had to be paid for in cash instead of adding it to my registration fees which I paid in check. Don't understand that...does anybody else have any information? If you have a valid plate from another vehicle that has been disposed of, that insurance is still in effect on, as in my case, you can transfer it to another vehicle and use it for 20 days while getting inspections and title work done. If you still have the vehicle you took the plate off of, you cannot use it on any other vehicle until all paper work and inspection is done. Also, if the inspection is still valid on the vehicle you purchase, you do not need to have it inspected until it runs out. That 10 day permit is a ripoff. Should be free, as it is only a piece of paper. A dollar is plenty if they MUST charge.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 PM

90 posts, read 753,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Can I drive the car with expired tag to the repair shop to get the check engine light fixed?

-Yes. Are you asking if you can get pulled over and cited? Yes, but odds are low.

True, but it does happen.

Also I am told I need to drive the car around for 50 miles or so after fixing before I go for inspection?

-Yes, supposedly 50 miles are required before the ECU will give a valid report during the emissions test.

No miles are *required*, here's what happens after the light is turned off.
All the vehicles readiness monitors are reset. Driving the vehicle through a variety of conditions will allow them to reset. I've seen them reset in as low as 20 miles, I've even seen a vehicle driven 1500 miles without resetting.(there is a waiver for that now) Every vehicles parameters are different, research "Drive cycle" to find yours.

Can I go to inspection now, fail the test and then drive around to get the repairs done? (I'll still be driving around with an expired tag. But I'll have the inspection failed letter (and the fact that I have 60 days to fix) to show in case I get pulled over.

-Yes
You can get a 3 day pass from DMV to cover you, just ask them for one, explaining that you are trying to do. Doing what you asked above can still get you a ticket.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
way to revive a way long dead thread! i would hope by now hes solved the issue....

sigh....

Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM

90 posts, read 753,050 times
Just trying to disseminate correct information. As an inspector I deal with people all day long who have received incorrect information, and are running into problems. In fact, I recently posted a thread in which I have offered to answer state inspection questions. I'm not a DMV law expert, but I do consider myself an expert on actual inspection questions, I've been doing them for 20 years.
Unfortunately people tend to find a thread about what they want to know and take the answer as gospel, I'm just trying to help people out. State inspections and the attached rules can be confusing at best for the general layman.
If resurrecting an old thread helps one person, then it was worth it, would you not agree?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,081 times
How can i get my tags if i spent more than 2 hundred dollars trying to get my check engine light to go out.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
way to revive a way long dead thread! i would hope by now hes solved the issue....

sigh....
The problem is that inspection process is not dead, and continues to be archaic and punitive.

If you tag has expired, and your check engine light is on (O2 sensor a common reason), you can have the O2 sensor replaced, the light reset, but you still must drive the car 30 - 50 miles before the car will pass. But the tag is expired, but it won't pass, but .... but .... and the system doesn't give a damn, it all about revenue.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillway14 View Post
How can i get my tags if i spent more than 2 hundred dollars trying to get my check engine light to go out.
"trying", sounds like it wasn't successful. In short you can't, it must be out, and pass when connected to the computer at the inspection station.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,106 times
Hey ! Can I get another 10 day permit , I just got one but my car needs and muffler system I don't have the money till next pay period , is that a one time deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina