Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM

48 posts, read 210,203 times

Advertisements

I recently had a baby while living in Oregon and after 4 years of being there, I moved back home to Minnesota for help with my child.

Brrrrr!!! While this is the ultimate opportunity to save up some money and get some help, I realize I don't want to be here when next winter rolls around! I really love and miss Oregon, but it is an extremely depressed economy where I lived and in Oregon as a whole. I want to research my options now and make a fresh start when I'm ready.

Before I moved to Oregon, I wanted to end up there or in North Carolina. I've been to the western part of the state twice and I absolutely adore it. From what I've seen and heard, the eastern half is just as beautiful.

For the first time in my life, I have a responsibility to someone else, so I'm looking for a good midsized city for myself and my daughter, one with good schools for when my little girl needs them and a decent economy, where if I found myself unemployed, I could find another job with some ease. My goal is also to buy us a house, so I'm looking for a place that has some real estate with potential.

What cities would you recommend I look further into? Some added bonuses would be a location relatively close to some outdoor recreation and a little art, music and culture.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
As a native..dont do it...NC is not all what it is cracked up to be...been here about 30+ yrs...and it too me this long to realize it's not for me...Yes it's my home..but I really dont resonate with the South. Personally, trying to get my finances together to move out west...Looking at Phoenix, AZ.
NC lacks diversity(not enough for me), conservative state, and it's just not enough to do..plain and simple...Just my opinion...definitely visit first..if you plan on making the move...SERIOUSLY..PLEASE VISIT.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I recently had a baby while living in Oregon and after 4 years of being there, I moved back home to Minnesota for help with my child.

Brrrrr!!! While this is the ultimate opportunity to save up some money and get some help, I realize I don't want to be here when next winter rolls around! I really love and miss Oregon, but it is an extremely depressed economy where I lived and in Oregon as a whole. I want to research my options now and make a fresh start when I'm ready.

Before I moved to Oregon, I wanted to end up there or in North Carolina. I've been to the western part of the state twice and I absolutely adore it. From what I've seen and heard, the eastern half is just as beautiful.

For the first time in my life, I have a responsibility to someone else, so I'm looking for a good midsized city for myself and my daughter, one with good schools for when my little girl needs them and a decent economy, where if I found myself unemployed, I could find another job with some ease. My goal is also to buy us a house, so I'm looking for a place that has some real estate with potential.

What cities would you recommend I look further into? Some added bonuses would be a location relatively close to some outdoor recreation and a little art, music and culture.

Thanks for your help!
Neither is true in many parts of NC. If you become unemployed, chances are you will remain unemployed for some time/
Not much real estate has potential unless it is in the $250K-$500K range?
Buy a nice house for less than $100K it will be worth $100K for quite some time. Most markets have 10-30 homes o n the market at any one time, so a seller is grateful when they sell, and the buyer will be holding the property for quite some time before it can be resold if necessary, and then NOT at any sizeable profit.

I would not move thinking life is going to be greatly improved from current location in this economy.

Moving to "END UP" someplace is not always a good idea.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
a decent economy, where if I found myself unemployed, I could find another job with some ease.
Good luck with that one...but what industry are you in? Here is a list of November unemployment rates, and as you can see, NC is near the bottom with 9.7%. And that doesn't include the folks applying for jobs here from other states, all trying to "end up here".

Researching your particular industry and how it's faring in NC would be a good step.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
but it is an extremely depressed economy where I lived and in Oregon as a whole.
You don't say what kind of job you have, so unless you are in health care or a waitress, you can forget about the western part of NC. There are no jobs here. Period.

The whole country has a depressed economy, especially NC which has some counties with unemployment in the high teens- bordering on 20's.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 AM

48 posts, read 210,203 times
Wow...I'm only RESEARCHING which areas I want to live in...I haven't hands down decided on North Carolina. I realize the economy isn't good anywhere, but where I lived in Oregon was particularly depressing, with a large meth problem to boot.

This move would be a good 6-9 months out. I'm trying to get a good idea of which mid-sized cities are BEST AT THIS TIME for my situation. Someone was kind enough to message me and suggest Charlotte, so I guess I'll start there. Any other SUGGESTIONS besides discouragement?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
6-9 months out and NC will be completely different. You asked about easy employment. There is no easy employment anywhere in NC. You asked about real estate with potential, there is very little.
Currently the answers are discouraging.

You want to know about cities and towns in general? To some point they all have something to offer. What kind of work will you be wanting? Unskilled labor jobs are probaly similiar across the state, but will be more abundant in cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro and Winston-Salem. The college towns will have more competition, but it may be easir to find work in these college towns during the summer when students are gone. Looking for skilled labor positions? Raleigh might be a place to look as well as Charlotte.

Based on your request and criteria, you are likely to get one of two answers--

1. Not enough information to make suggestions.

2. Almost ANY city in NC.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM

42 posts, read 71,119 times
Hi Vertigo....I live in Greensboro NC, and I have lived in many other states. I am very happy here and would recommend it to anyone who asks. Every city in every state is struggling. Finding a job anywhere, right now isn't easy. The weather is mild, the people are friendly, and it is a beautiful place to live. Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
...where if I found myself unemployed, I could find another job with some ease.
North Dakota.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
North Carolina is the white trash capital of the world. Really there are so many other states, deserving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina