Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times

Advertisements

You want to deal with accountants or techies? Charlotte is largely a financial center, mostly for the South, and the Triangle area, including Raleigh, is referred to as 'Silicone Valley East.'

Charlotte starts with a C, Raleigh begins with an R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 AM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
I don't think Charlotte wants to be Atlanta at all. Many people don't want it to be like that and I don't think that is what it will become. Traffic will increase (so will the Triangle's) but Charlotte is looking at Atlanta and trying to avoid the mistakes ATL made in the past. Charlotte's downtown is much denser, less spread out, and already is becoming more vibrant than Atlanta. Atlanta is very spread out. Unlike ATL, most of the people who live in the metro area of Charlotte live within Mecklenburg County and not in the surrounding counties. Growth projections don't seem to be changing either - Mecklenburg will continue to lead in population. It really bugs me when people say Charlotte is trying to be Atlanta just because it is focusing on its urban environment and downtown area. A healthy and vibrant downtown is very important - who wants to be like Detroit?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
I couldn't decide b/w staying in Charlotte or moving to Richmond. I settled in Raleigh. It's about the same distance to either city. (I can work in any of the three cities in the same pay and position, which would have been a huge deciding factor.)

As a single, professional who lived in Charlotte for 10 years, visits Richmond on a routine basis, and lives in Raleigh, I think that you can't go wrong with any of these locations. Charlotte is the hippest of the three. It has professional sports teams, a happening downtown area, and lots of frills. Bankers and suits rule! I often compare it to a teenager. It hasn't found it's true identity yet, but it's striving to make everyone happy with the sports teams, transit system, etc. I truly enjoyed my time there.

If Charlotte is a teenager, then Richmond is the distinguished aunt. Richmond has more character since the new construction is mixed with the older buildings; think Shockhoe Slip/Bottom. To me, the housing is more expensive in Richmond than in Charlotte and Raleigh for equivalent areas. Ninety-five percent of my friends there are natives, which isn't the case in Raleigh or Charlotte. Most people I know work for the state or VCU.

And, finally, Raleigh (and it's surrounding areas) are the hippy sister. The area boasts a terrific system of greenways. The meetup.com site is brimming with tons of people seeking to connect with others for similar activities, like wine tasting, hiking, and movie going. IT definitely rules here, as the majority of people I meet work in some branch of the IT field. Plus, the location to the beach is incredible.

Like I said earlier, you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
Default my land lord was awarded money that i already paid her

i need to appeal the judges decison for making me pay the land lord money that i already paid her... he refused to look at my paper work that i had just because i didnt have no reciept i didnt know she was rail road me...i trusted her i have 3 kids i couldnt put them in the situation be sleepin on the street....i need to reapeal the judges decion for makin me pay money that i already paid..please someone help me thanks lipzz

Old 11-08-2011, 11:24 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,280 times
Welcome, new user!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM

97 posts, read 227,595 times
I have lived in both and personally find that Charlotte is way ahead of the game in alot of aspects...public transit, shopping, things to do, major Intl airport, nightlife, professional sports and the list goes on. Raleigh is a nice place to raise a family...Charlotte is a nice place for urban young professionals & families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina