Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I sincerely applaud Senator Forrester for his effort to sustain the traditional concept of marriage between man and woman.
There is already a law on the books in North Carolina stating this. Why do you believe there also needs to be an amendment to the constitution? Just how many laws outlawing the same thing do you think are needed?

If the Forrester amendment does not pass, same-sex marriage will still be illegal and not recognized in NC. Can you grasp this concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Why doesn't he fight to ban divorce. In my opinion, that should have a heck of a lot more precedence than Gay Marriage and a much much bigger problem.
Haha, funnily enough it was Ronald Reagan, whom I suspect many of these so-called Christians worship more than they do Jesus, who spearheaded the advent of no-fault divorce laws when he was governor of California, which led to the astronomical spike in divorce rates across America. Of course they leave that little tidbit out from the conservative brainwashing and revisionist history texts.

Quote:
There is no such thing as "Traditional Marriage" these days.
There never was such a thing as "traditional marriage" except for a very, very short period of time in human history, same as with the traditional "nuclear family". Marriages as recognized by any sort of legal or government authority as we know it today didn't exist for anyone who wasn't royalty, aristocracy, or landed gentry until the Protestant Reformation.

It's always a handy clue as to the depths of someone's ignorance when they start prattling on about "traditional" anything.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
^ But Why do you care? If you're so worried about it, lead by example!

And no offense but... When you say things such as this;

Quote:
Haha, funnily enough it was Ronald Reagan, whom I suspect many of these so-called Christians worship more than they do Jesus, who spearheaded the advent of no-fault divorce laws when he was governor of California, which led to the astronomical spike in divorce rates across America. Of course they leave that little tidbit out from the conservative brainwashing and revisionist history texts.
It hurts your cause. A lot.

I have absolutely no care in the world at all if anyone gets divorced at all.... None. Why do you?

PS; I'm Christian, by the way. Maybe not in your eyes, but I don't care. I'll leave that up for God to decide and he has been good to me thus far and I instill all my trust in him. I don't judge people. Never.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-25-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Speaking of Reagan, he is the only president in history to have been divorced.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,152 times
Quote:
^ But Why do you care? If you're so worried about it, lead by example!

And no offense but... When you say things such as this;

It hurts your cause. A lot.

I have absolutely no care in the world at all if anyone gets divorced at all.... None. Why do you?

PS; I'm Christian, by the way. Maybe not in your eyes, but I don't care. I'll leave that up for God to decide and he has been good to me thus far and I instill all my trust in him. I don't judge people. Never.
I think you might have misread what I was saying. I was agreeing with your post and providing further historical context. Sorry for not being clear on that.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,400,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I think you might have misread what I was saying. I was agreeing with your post and providing further historical context. Sorry for not being clear on that.

Ha. I see that now. My bad.

Sensitive topic - Knee Jerk comments.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,545,693 times
Quote:
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) provided the grant to aid Equality North Carolina in its legislative fight this year to stop an anti-LGBT constitutional amendment from reaching the ballot in 2012. The amendment, which would ban all recognition of any same-sex relationship, was introduced in the North Carolina Senate this by state Sen. James Forrester (R-Gaston).
Way to go

Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 AM

306 posts, read 436,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
People have reason to hurl the "I" word a lot these days.

I rest my case:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I do not dislike Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals or Transgendered persons. I'm quite friendly and accepting of them, in fact. However, marriage is not an equal opportunity institution in my playbook; It's between a biological male and a biological female. I'm allowed to have this opinion without being a "gay basher" or a "bigot" or "ignorant" (people love to hurl the I word a lot these days.).

I must say, though, it's refreshing to have someone come out and say it's for the tax and insurance benefits, like we've always known it is, instead of making some overly dramatic moral argument.
I have no interest in making a commentary on this topic and I actually don't have strong feelings with either side of the debate.

I am curious however LB, what is your case? You decided to hurl an insult at someone who simply made an honest statement that obviously does not align with your views.

You said you "rest your case". You actually made no case, you simply reposted the original thought. That is neither clever or even remotely insightful.

I find it interesting that this person said nothing ill of any group and said he was quite accepting of all people. He just has a different view of marriage and at least presented it honestly.

If you are going to criticize someone else and try to brand them negatively, then please tell us specifically what it is you don't agree with and why.

That would be much thought provoking than "I rest my case".

Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's always a handy clue as to the depths of someone's ignorance when they start prattling on about "traditional" anything.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM

894 posts, read 2,317,010 times
How about leaving the dusty bibles on the shelf. And forget about the legal loopholes. Why not approach this from a evolutionary biological point of view? How long have dudes and babes been doing each other, and still after all these millennia, evolution has not granted people of the same sex to biologically produce offspring. A guy can't impregnate another guy and a woman can't impregnate another woman. I'm just wondering. I could care less about the debate, but that's always something I've never seen brought up. I have a feeling that until dudes start popping out babies, a lot of people, like this politician will never accept lgbt people. Sorry if this offends anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina