Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times

Advertisements

It might be interesting to share some feedback on the first day of School in some of the cities and towns those of us have moved to, and others are considering moving to.

It was prompted by my daughter's first day of school (and the registraton process). She goes to Wesley Chapel Elem. in Union County (it actually has a Monroe address). We had LOTs of questions, but so far so good. While we were waiting (very patiently- note: some other parents were not so patient-lol), we met the principal who made it a point to come out and meet the folks who were waiting. A very lovely person. We met some of the first grade teachers, and my daughers teacher, and a few of the other parents. All very nice experiences.

There's clearly (as if you didn't know) a population explosion out here. Many rows and rows of trailers for the older kids it seems. Getting in and getting out of the school in the morning and evenings, could be a challenge, but it might settle out as the kids who are taking bus, start riding it, and everyone gets the timing and flow of traffic. It was crowded though. Having said that, and I know it's only day one, we are very pleased. Day one is very important, and she's had a great classroom experience- we braced ourselves for tears of missing home and her previous school back in Boston, but didn't see much of it (there were a few comments on missing some friends, but we all feel that way now).

There ARE growing pains mind you, as there's need for a lot of special needs teachers, but a lot of the funding hasn't caught up yet...

I know there are brand spanking new schools up in North Charlotte (Highland Creek Elem. for example), and wondered how that first day experience went...

Anyway, that's my feedback.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
well my kindergarten does not start his first day of big boy school until tuesday ...they are doing staggered days to help them adjust.

we are lucky new school J.V. Washam Elementary opened under capacity.

Ill let you know how it goes with the wifes tears and all.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
They started in Wake County today too..... first day of school on a Friday. lol. My son is a senior and went to the parade at his school that started at 6 am. My daughter caught the bus for the 40+ minute ride to her school in Cary/Morrisville.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
They started in Wake County today too..... first day of school on a Friday. lol. My son is a senior and went to the parade at his school that started at 6 am. My daughter caught the bus for the 40+ minute ride to her school in Cary/Morrisville.
I thought the first day of school on a Friday was a little odd to. But in retrospect, I think it gives everyone (students, parents, teachers) to shake off the first day jitters, think about their classes over the weekend and then come back for a full week. Almost like pre-season football

Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
That's true; it helps everyone ease into school better. The only reason it was on a Friday was because today is the 25th and the state mandated that every school district had to start school on the 25th at the earliest. God forbid most of the counties don't just wait until Monday the 28th.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
My daughter started 8th grade today. We had a short orientation on Wednesday. She got to get her schedule and meet her teachers. Mostly she hung out with her friends as they ran through the hallways! Today she got up at 6AM...school starts at 7:30AM and hubby HAS to leave the house at 7AM...on the dot! She rides the bus home and gets home around 3. She was pretty excited about her classes and seeing her friends again. Thank goodness school started!!! Vicki

Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,211 times
How did the other kids accept an outsider?

Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
How did the other kids accept an outsider?

I would think a lot of kids would be new there too. Union County is growing leaps and bounds.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,055 times
Default kindergarten

My daughter started kindergarten on Friday, so it was a big day for us. She is our only child, so it was emotional (esp for mom, but I won't admit to her that it was for me also . We had an orientation in the classroom on Thursday evening.

She has a great teacher who is in her 28th year of teaching. I could tell that she was extremely organized and knows how to deal with kids and parents. God bless teachers like that - I couldn't do it.

Another good thing is that a new wing was added to her school recently, and her classroom is in the new wing. It is spotless since she is in the first class to use it.

Also, the teacher's assistant in her classroom is also experienced. Things couldn't have worked out any better for us.

The only downside is taht there is still construction going on at the cafeteria - and will for the most of the remainder of the school year - so there will be traffic delays and other inconveniences because of that.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
She has a great teacher who is in her 28th year of teaching. I could tell that she was extremely organized and knows how to deal with kids and parents. God bless teachers like that - I couldn't do it.
Absolutely! I'm also encouraged by many of the new teachers, who are eager to "teach".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina