Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 25,273 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a female to male transsexual. Which means I was born female, but have switched my sex to male by changing my name and taking male hormones. I am also gay.

I want to go to a mortuary school in Fayetteville because it is the only one in the state, but I am worried that Fayetteville may not be the safest place for me to live, I have heard the town described as military, and conservative.

I don't want to have my safety at risk living here, can anyone tell me how safe it would be there? I am not a super flamboyant gay man, and I can go under the radar if I want to, but I am definitely not a typical military tough guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,198 times
I suspect you will be fine if you mind your own business and go to school. I would avoid bars on Bragg Blvd and Murchison. The same advice I give everyone. It is a Military dominated town most folks are in or have been in the military or are military family members.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah3291 View Post
Hi, I am a female to male transsexual. Which means I was born female, but have switched my sex to male by changing my name and taking male hormones. I am also gay.

I want to go to a mortuary school in Fayetteville because it is the only one in the state, but I am worried that Fayetteville may not be the safest place for me to live, I have heard the town described as military, and conservative.

I don't want to have my safety at risk living here, can anyone tell me how safe it would be there? I am not a super flamboyant gay man, and I can go under the radar if I want to, but I am definitely not a typical military tough guy.

I am truly confused here. Do you date ladies or dudes? Because if you're a "Gay Dude" you date things with a penis. Which If you dated a "thing with a penis" you technically would be a straight Transvestite. I dunno I'm just confused, lol.

Anyway, I dunno much about Fayetteville, but Most all of North Carolina is Gay Friendly. Friendly to anyone, really.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM

I am not a transvestite, I am a guy who was born female, and I date men. I am a man, I date men, therefore I am gay.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah3291 View Post
I am not a transvestite, I am a guy who was born female, and I date men. I am a man, I date men, therefore I am gay.

Different Strokes for different folks. I didn't know there was a difference between a transvestite and a transexual, but either way.

But People of North Carolina are very very very friendly. More so in the smaller rural towns contrary to popular belief. I spend most of my time in Gastonia/Lincolnton/Kings Mountain NC and people are very friendly towards gays and everyone else here.

I can say the same for (the Natives of) Winston-Salem, Wilmington, Greensboro, Asheville, All of Metro Charlotte, and I can't imagine Fayetteville would be an exception to the rule.

I find people in the much more urbanized areas to be jerks as opposed to the friendly country bumpkins who treat you like family and adress you as "Sweetheart" or "baby" from the first moment they see you. Much better than the people living in the condos in Charlotte who are to "chic" for their shirts.... lol.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-10-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
It is true that Fayetteville would not usually be most people's first choice in NC for GLB, let alone T. But, since you are "stuck" there, it is close enough to the Triangle Area that you might want to live in the north side of town for better access to Raleigh et al. Contact the LGBT Center of Raleigh, will likely have some trans- resources to pass on as well as maybe some info about Fayetteville. Most cities of any size in the state do have communities, but it can take some tapping in to find them.

You also might want to bookmark The Triangle, a new GLBT newspaper that, again, can cover more than just the area described in its title. I think there was an ad recently for a "Camp Trans" or something, happening this summer.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Different Strokes for different folks. I didn't know there was a difference between a transvestite and a transexual, but either way.
Well, as gay (Charlotte) guy, you should. Transvestites (notice the root "vest", meaning clothing) are those who dress in the opposite gender's clothing. This can be drag queens, SNL skit artists such as the Church Lady, or straight men who get off on women's hose or whatever. Unrelated to sexual orientation or gender identity. Transsexuals (or the more politically correct transgender) are those who actually feel themselves to be in the wrong body--what they are wearing at a given moment is irrelevant to that.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
You'd be surprised at the LGBT population in Fayetteville. There are plenty who probably fly "under the radar." But just in the public school high schools, they're "out", loud & proud! Although Fayetteville is a "military town," it's not a "rough-macho-tough guy, going to beat up the *****s" kinda town.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, as gay (Charlotte) guy, you should. Transvestites (notice the root "vest", meaning clothing) are those who dress in the opposite gender's clothing. This can be drag queens, SNL skit artists such as the Church Lady, or straight men who get off on women's hose or whatever. Unrelated to sexual orientation or gender identity. Transsexuals (or the more politically correct transgender) are those who actually feel themselves to be in the wrong body--what they are wearing at a given moment is irrelevant to that.

Learn Somethin new every day.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
You'd be surprised at the LGBT population in Fayetteville. There are plenty who probably fly "under the radar." But just in the public school high schools, they're "out", loud & proud! Although Fayetteville is a "military town," it's not a "rough-macho-tough guy, going to beat up the *****s" kinda town.

thanks for this, it makes me feel a little less afraid of the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina