Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,033 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if Charleston real estate is comparable to Charlotte in that it is less expensive than the D.C./N. Va. area. I was disappointed to learn that Charlotte has no real historical district and is very modern. Am wondering if Charleston has retained any of it's history and is still more reasonable than N. Va. for homes. Also wondering about the economy as far as payscale relative to Charlotte, it's a given that it is lower than N. Va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeaker View Post
I'm wondering if Charleston real estate is comparable to Charlotte in that it is less expensive than the D.C./N. Va. area. I was disappointed to learn that Charlotte has no real historical district and is very modern. Am wondering if Charleston has retained any of it's history and is still more reasonable than N. Va. for homes. Also wondering about the economy as far as payscale relative to Charlotte, it's a given that it is lower than N. Va.
Wow, no offense, but asking if Charleston has "retained any of its history" is like asking if the Pope is Catholic! The answer of course is YES - Charleston is all about its history. It ranks right up there with New Orleans for historical buildings and charm.

But that history does not come cheap either, much of it would probably be similar to N VA, though there are many nice bedroom communities that are more affordable. Why not post this question on the SC board to get more specific answers to your other questions

Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 PM

68 posts, read 284,158 times
It depends on what part of Charleston you are talking about. People dont realize how drastically different North Charleston is compared to Charleston itself.

North Charleston-one of the worst cities in both carolinas
Charleston- the best city in both carolinas.

As far as the Charlotte and Charleston real estate markets...well, just in my amatuer view there isnt many similarities if any. Charlotte does still have it's historical areas but it's nothing at all like Charlotte. Dont let people tell you that Charlotte is a new city either, it's been around a very long time.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Charlotte or Charlottesburgh became a settlement over 250 years ago.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM

277 posts, read 373,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeaker View Post

Are you referring to Charleston, WV or Charleston, SC? I would chose either of those places, hands down, over Charlotte, NC.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Mecklenburg County was the first area of America to declare independence also. But as far as history goes, Charleston over Charlotte by a landslide. Charlotte has negelcted it's history, while Charleston has embraced it. And GastoniaNative is right about North Charelston.

Last edited by mountain_time_Blues; 08-03-2007 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Nice, so where are the 100+ year old structure in Charlotte standing at? *Grasshoppers in the background*

Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Nice, so where are the 100+ year old structure in Charlotte standing at? *Grasshoppers in the background*
There are a few

Perhaps you never visited the Hezekiah Alexander homesite on Shamrock Dr. or the Latta Plantation up in northwest Charlotte? There is also St. Peter's Catholic Church on S. Tryon (well over 100 years old all of them).

Old 08-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Mercy Hospital, homes in 4th Ward, Dilworth, Eastover, Myers Park. President James K Polk Memorial Homesite (built in 1795). Rosedale Plantation on N. Tryon (1815). First Baptist Church which became Spirit Square on N. Tryon (1908). I could go on and on, but you get my point - we do have historical buildings in Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are a few

Perhaps you never visited the Hezekiah Alexander homesite on Shamrock Dr. or the Latta Plantation up in northwest Charlotte? There is also St. Peter's Catholic Church on S. Tryon (well over 100 years old all of them).
Oh, the Alexander homesite that used to be near Ballantyne on Rea Road......? I could be wrong about this site, so forgive me. Well, how did Charlotte handle that one? That is right, it almost got tore down to put up a Harris Teeter (As if Charlotte desperately need another one of those). How very poetic! And now it just sits. What the key word of today? "Structurally deficient".

Of course and then there is the church in Spirit Square, but when I am talking history, I am referring to neighborhoods similar to this: Ybor City Chamber of Commerce - Visitor Information (broken link)

That entire neighborhood is over 100 years old and people are still there. Yes, I know, you have your South End district, but come on, where is your first Charlotte high rise, known as the Charlotte Hotel? I am not talking about the restaurant on Sharon Amity either. I am talking about the real deal.

What about the first North Carolina National Bank high rise in Downtown? What about your trolley cars that used to transport people around or Woolworth's store in Downtown? Where is your real history? Where are the things that make Charlotte, "Charlotte"?

It is torn down, demolished, gutted, and these new glass structures are there in their place. There is not a lot of history left to Charlotte. It is a city of new money, banks, and that is really it. Oh yeah, and there is a Harris Teeter for every 1 to 1 1/2 miles.

Don't get me wrong, Charlotte has advanced in terms of light rail. It is ahead of many cities, including the one I live in, but your history has been nearly demolished. What is the oldest building in your downtown? In Tampa, there are several. Tampa Hotel is over 100 years old and one of the oldest, highrise structures on the west coast of Florida. The Kress building is over 80 years old and my partner's mother and grandmother, both worked in that building when they were TEENAGERS. Citytimes: Where art, retail came together

So, where is Charlotte's Kress building at? Just a head's up that with a simple Google search I found it, but wanna take 2 guess what happened to it in the 1970s?

There is invaluable history here, but Charlotte has very few places left and there is not a historic district. During the US Civil War, Charlotte played an instrumental part. Where is some of the history from that era? Towns to the north like Gettysburg, Manassas, Sharpsburg, Alexandria, and Richmond have retained much of their history for our children and grandchildren to see. Why hasn't Charlotte done this?

Last edited by FireballFL; 08-03-2007 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina