Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 28,475 times

Advertisements

What is the proximity of Carolina Trace to Sanford? Would it be likely to have less crime and race issues? We are looking for an affordable waterfront retirement home for under $400K. I do not want to be stuck in the country with none of the conveniences we're used to, such as decent restaurants, libraries, coffee shops, groceries, (hooked on Target) -- just to have some shopping available for day to day needs. Does it have a mall? (shoes & clothing, furniture, etc.) I am not a country person, but do like the flavor of a small town -- just not an unsophisticated town. Is this the wrong place? How hot & humid is the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
I've been on 421 more times than I can count and have passed by Carolina Trace (and through Sanford) each time. Carolina Trace is a very pretty little area, but there's nothing for miles. It's hard for me to guess how long it would take to get to Sanford. I've never paid attention to that. (I'm sorry about that!) If I really had to guess, I'd say it's at least 30 minutes away.

I wouldn't say Sanford is sophisticated at all. I'm not sure if there's a mall or not. If there is, it's probably little. I know there's a Wal-Mart, fast food places, a kind of dumpy looking "downtown", a steak place, Chinese place, Golden Corral (I think).

Being very near (if not right into) the Sandhills, this area gets very hot and humid. It's not far from Fayetteville (about 30 minutes or so), which typically has the highest temperatures in the summer.

In all honesty, I would keep looking if I were you. For some, Carolina Trace would be exactly what they're looking for. But I don't think it's what you want.

Are you wanting a retirement community like Carolina Trace? Or just any decent waterfront property near a good town? Are you opposed to living near Charlotte or in the mountains? There's waterfront places there to be found, though I don't know what the average price is. Greensboro also has waterfront places available. Raleigh might as well.

I wish you all the best.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM

44 posts, read 200,846 times
I used to work for a Soil and Environmental Consulting company that did work in Carolina Trace. It is a pretty little area, and one of its kind within the area. It is only a few miles from Sanford, and it is situated in a fairly rural area once you get outside of the community gates. Sanford has all the basic things to offer that you need and is a slightly larger and spread out city, and not that far from Raleigh. Sanford is still fairly rural though, and I am pretty positive that they dont have, and never will have a Target! I grew up in the area so I am still partial to it and would tell you that it is a very slow paced and laid back atmosphere.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:07 PM

14 posts, read 95,652 times
I am from Moore County...which is about 20 or 30 minutes from Sanford. I would really chose a better place to live, if I were you. Sanford is a small town, but still has stores and is bigger than Moore County. But, as far as sophisticated, I would consider it "little Mexico". It has, probably, the largest amount of immigrants. It is not a well kept town either.
If a small town feel, sophistication, and still shopping around is what you are looking for, than I would check out Moore County. Maybe Seven Lakes, Southern Pines, or Pinehurst (home of the U.S. Open).
Very nice, laid back, sophisticated area. Pinehurst is more of an older, wealthy class of people. Alot of town shops, antiques, community events, etc. Moore County, you can't go wrong.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 PM

I would agree with Amberette really... Only thing is that any lake community in Moore county would be expensive ($$$!). Especially somewhere like Seven Lakes or Pinehurst. It is a beautiful area though.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,291 times
Default Sanford Info. from an actual resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH43209 View Post
What is the proximity of Carolina Trace to Sanford? Would it be likely to have less crime and race issues? We are looking for an affordable waterfront retirement home for under $400K. I do not want to be stuck in the country with none of the conveniences we're used to, such as decent restaurants, libraries, coffee shops, groceries, (hooked on Target) -- just to have some shopping available for day to day needs. Does it have a mall? (shoes & clothing, furniture, etc.) I am not a country person, but do like the flavor of a small town -- just not an unsophisticated town. Is this the wrong place? How hot & humid is the summer?
I have lived in Sanford for 20 years and know it (and the surrounding towns) very well. Some of the posts in reply to your question are not giving a balanced description of the community. You ask about "less crime and race issues"? As compared to what or where? There is some crime in Sanford, but overall it is a quiet community with many lovely, safe neighborhoods. If by race you mean Hispanics, yes that segment of the population has grown in the past 5 years in Sanford. However, if that is a problem for you then don't move anywhere in this state because North Carolina has one of the fastest growing Hispanic populations in the country. This has caused growing pains in many communities,not just Sanford, but has also enriched and diversified the area with cultural benefits.

Also want to give you a bit more ACCURATE information about Carolina Trace, unlike that provided by Niki who states that she/he has been up and down 421 countless times. If that's true, she would never have even seen Carolina Trace as it is not on 421, but is located on 87South. It is a very nice residential community, primarily (though not exclusively) golf and retirement. It's about 10 minutes (not 30!) south of downtown Sanford. That stretch of 87 is experiencing significant growth, and a new shopping center is going up not far from there. Carolina Trace also is quite large, with over 1,000 homes ranging in price from <$200K to > $1 Million and everything in between. It stretches for miles and only a small part is visible from the highway. Many of the residents are from the Northeast and Midwest.

Now for that "dumpy downtown" that Niki mentioned. Which by the way, she/he would never have seen from 421. The restaurants mentioned in Niki's post are not located downtown, but on 421. While there is not a Target (which appears to be the measure of a town's "sophistication" these days on this forum!), it does have a highly regarded regional theatre, art galleries, restaurants and antique/boutique shops, pottery, coffee shop, farmer's market, park, etc.
I would suggest coming and taking a look for yourself and speak with some actual residents of Carolina Trace. Southern Pines and Pinehurst are also beautiful areas, though smaller. Come see for yourself!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 28,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I've been on 421 more times than I can count and have passed by Carolina Trace (and through Sanford) each time. Carolina Trace is a very pretty little area, but there's nothing for miles. It's hard for me to guess how long it would take to get to Sanford. I've never paid attention to that. (I'm sorry about that!) If I really had to guess, I'd say it's at least 30 minutes away.

I wouldn't say Sanford is sophisticated at all. I'm not sure if there's a mall or not. If there is, it's probably little. I know there's a Wal-Mart, fast food places, a kind of dumpy looking "downtown", a steak place, Chinese place, Golden Corral (I think).

Being very near (if not right into) the Sandhills, this area gets very hot and humid. It's not far from Fayetteville (about 30 minutes or so), which typically has the highest temperatures in the summer.

In all honesty, I would keep looking if I were you. For some, Carolina Trace would be exactly what they're looking for. But I don't think it's what you want.

Are you wanting a retirement community like Carolina Trace? Or just any decent waterfront property near a good town? Are you opposed to living near Charlotte or in the mountains? There's waterfront places there to be found, though I don't know what the average price is. Greensboro also has waterfront places available. Raleigh might as well.

I wish you all the best.

Thank you for the information. I hate large cities and bunches of traffic everytime we get in the car. We want a waterview/front home in a quiet, clean community (not really rural) with fairly quick access to medical/airports/ shopping, etc. Do not want to overpay for it, though. Inland there is Savannah Lakes Village,SC, which all sounds great, but it is isolated and no shopping or restaurants, hospitals, or airports until you drive 40 minutes over to Augusta. So that's no good. New Bern doesn't get good reviews on this forum either, thus I am searching for ideas from others!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
Also want to give you a bit more ACCURATE information about Carolina Trace, unlike that provided by Niki who states that she/he has been up and down 421 countless times. If that's true, she would never have even seen Carolina Trace as it is not on 421, but is located on 87South. It is a very nice residential community, primarily (though not exclusively) golf and retirement. It's about 10 minutes (not 30!) south of downtown Sanford...

Now for that "dumpy downtown" that Niki mentioned. Which by the way, she/he would never have seen from 421. The restaurants mentioned in Niki's post are not located downtown, but on 421. While there is not a Target (which appears to be the measure of a town's "sophistication" these days on this forum!), it does have a highly regarded regional theatre, art galleries, restaurants and antique/boutique shops, pottery, coffee shop, farmer's market, park, etc.
I would suggest coming and taking a look for yourself and speak with some actual residents of Carolina Trace. Southern Pines and Pinehurst are also beautiful areas, though smaller. Come see for yourself!

*sigh* You're right that it's 87 where Carolina Trace is located. I've always just called it 421 because the split happens as you're coming out of Sanford (from Greensboro).

So, yes, I have seen Carolina Trace countless time. Geesh. I do know how to read the sign there, believe it or not.

And as I said, I wasn't sure about how long it took to get there from Sanford. I've never timed it.

So all those old buildings I go by on 421 (or 87, whatever) aren't downtown? Hmm. That's interesting. It looks like every downtown I've ever seen in a small town. Oh, well.

I didn't say that the restaurants were located downtown. I know very well that they are on 421.

This is what I said:

"I know there's a Wal-Mart [in Sanford; I didn't say "downtown"], fast food places [in Sanford; I didn't say "downtown"], a kind of dumpy looking "downtown" [uh, in what looks very much like "downtown" lol], a steak place [in Sanford; I didn't say "downtown"; I think it's called Sagebrush, if I'm not mistaken], Chinese place [in Sanford; I didnt' say "downtown"], Golden Corral (I think) [in Sanford; I didn't say "downtown"]."

*sigh* I wish you hadn't been so unfriendly about the little mistakes I made. Goodness.

I wish you all the best anyway.

Oh, and I agree about the increase in the Hispanic population. It is growing quite quickly. I don't mind though, as long as they're coming here legally.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH43209 View Post
Thank you for the information. I hate large cities and bunches of traffic everytime we get in the car. We want a waterview/front home in a quiet, clean community (not really rural) with fairly quick access to medical/airports/ shopping, etc. Do not want to overpay for it, though. Inland there is Savannah Lakes Village,SC, which all sounds great, but it is isolated and no shopping or restaurants, hospitals, or airports until you drive 40 minutes over to Augusta. So that's no good. New Bern doesn't get good reviews on this forum either, thus I am searching for ideas from others!
You're welcome. I agree with MariGirl that you'll get a better sense of things if/when you see them in person. I hope you find what you're looking for.

All the best.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM

There is also a Ron's Barn in town, which is a must if you are ever in Sanford to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina