Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 04:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you been to rural areas of Pennsylvania?

Are Virginia & SC having a rural vs urban war in the state/commonwealth legislatures?
That's been happening in Georgia since forever and to a much greater degree than in NC. This is such a flimsy argument since it's such a ubiquitous phenomenon:

Rural Areas Lose People But Not Power
Red State, Blue City: How the Urban-Rural Divide Is Splitting America - The Atlantic
Oregon's urban-rural legislative divide (OPINION) | OregonLive.com
Three Reasons Why State Polarization Is a Big Deal
Why are rural legislators still in charge in Kentucky?
State Of North Colorado? Rural-Urban Tensions Are Real, But Few Want To Form 51st State
https://thebluereview.org/study-docu...-legislatures/
The Urban vs. Rural Wars Within States

I mean seriously, I could go on and on and on. The fact that you think this is only an issue in NC and PA is pretty sad.

And I'm still waiting to see where those predominantly Black rural counties are in PA and where those heavily Catholic areas and White ethnic enclaves are in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's been happening in Georgia since forever and to a much greater degree than in NC. This is such a flimsy argument since it's such a ubiquitous phenomenon:

Rural Areas Lose People But Not Power
Red State, Blue City: How the Urban-Rural Divide Is Splitting America - The Atlantic
Oregon's urban-rural legislative divide (OPINION) | OregonLive.com
Three Reasons Why State Polarization Is a Big Deal
Why are rural legislators still in charge in Kentucky?
State Of North Colorado? Rural-Urban Tensions Are Real, But Few Want To Form 51st State
https://thebluereview.org/study-docu...-legislatures/
The Urban vs. Rural Wars Within States

I mean seriously, I could go on and on and on. The fact that you think this is only an issue in NC and PA is pretty sad.

And I'm still waiting to see where those predominantly Black rural counties are in PA and where those heavily Catholic areas and White ethnic enclaves are in NC.
The heavily Catholic areas in PA are predominantly in & near cities, just like in NC. Bagels in PA? They're predominantly in areas with a large Jewish population. Cheesesteaks are in Philly. Ask on the PA board, Philadelphia does not equal Pennsylvania. Hoagies are actually more popular in Philly than cheesesteaks & in Pittsburgh Primanti's sandwiches are popular. https://www.primantibros.com/#sandwich Nothing that you listed, alleging them to be traditional foods are. Try pepperpot soup. Philadelphia Pepper Pot Recipe - Food.com Put that & scrapple up against traditional NC foods.

You know perfectly well that there are no predominantly black counties, so you're hitting that one, you probably don't know about the historically black town in South Jersey, though.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The heavily Catholic areas in PA are predominantly in & near cities, just like in NC.
No, PA is much more Catholic all over all. NC is predominantly Protestant, especially Baptist. There are no heavily Catholic areas in NC; certainly that's not true of Charlotte.

Quote:
Bagels in PA? They're predominantly in areas with a large Jewish population. Cheesesteaks are in Philly. Ask on the PA board, Philadelphia does not equal Pennsylvania. Hoagies are actually more popular in Philly than cheesesteaks & in Pittsburgh Primanti's sandwiches are popular. https://www.primantibros.com/#sandwich Nothing that you listed, alleging them to be traditional foods are. Try pepperpot soup. Philadelphia Pepper Pot Recipe - Food.com Put that & scrapple up against traditional NC foods.
You're still proving my point LOL; none of those traditional foods in PA are traditional foods in NC.

Quote:
You know perfectly well that there are no predominantly black counties, so you're hitting that one
Again, that's my point. And there also aren't any ethnic White enclaves in NC either.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:51 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Have you been to rural areas of Pennsylvania?

Are Virginia & SC having a rural vs urban war in the state/commonwealth legislatures?
I'm sure there are some similarities between NC and PA, but the neighboring states of SC and VA are MUCH more like NC in MANY more ways. Simple geography dictates this. There are lots of areas between these 3 states (and a couple of others) where you can't tell any difference in the scenery...if you didn't know where you were you could be in any of them.

I'm guessing almost every state has an urban vs rural war in the legislatures. It's a pretty common divide everywhere.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I just couldn't disagree with you more about NC and VA being more closely tied together. NC and SC are "the Carolina's". Way too many things tying the states (NC and SC) together historically and presently. Who and what is tying NC and VA together? No sports teams, no parks, no cities. I mean we can even argue the little things too - Virginia has front license plates, the Carolina's do not.

No major cities that North Carolinian's commute to go to work to in Virginia or vv .

And I'm not knocking Virginia at all. I've been to VA many times, great history there, plenty of Civil War and Revolutionary battlefields, great country side. But it's not Carolina.
Many people live in NC and work/shop in the Hampton Roads area. Same along the border between the Triad and VA...many people come down to Greensboro and Winston-Salem to shop/work/play/etc. It's the same with the Triangle. To say that there are no major cities with commuters between NC and VA is just not true.

You may be seeing it from a southern NC point of view...that's what I was saying earlier in the thread - there is a dividing line through the state where people on one side interact more with SC and people on the other with VA. There is no right or wrong answer to this...it simply depends on where you live.

The province of Carolina once included NC, SC, GA, AL, TN, MS, and parts of FL and LA...but that was a long time ago, and it split into separate colonies in 1729. It's hard to hold that up as a reason that the two states are more alike. From my point of view in the Triad, NC is much more like VA; and from an objective point of view the two states are practically a mirror image of each other geographically, they are very close in population, and are much closer politically (widely considered to two most liberal southern states). You can obviously have the opinion that NC and SC are more alike due to your location, but you can't argue with the geography/population/politics of NC and VA being more similar than SC.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 10-28-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
As far as people traveling to VA and NC for work, yeah it happens, but has to be a FAR cry from SC and NC activity. Trust the state line for the Charlotte/Rock Hill/Ft Mill area which includes several counties is very blurred and both states benefit very much from one another economically.

The traffic between NC and VA is probably the same for the North Carolina and Tennessee border.
Not true...the Triad, Triangle, and Hampton Roads have many commuters between the two states. Not as many as Charlotte, but not THAT far behind. Hampton Roads has two NC counties in its metro area and Elizabeth City NC, and it's where people in Northeast NC go for the big city. Charlotte has 4 SC counties in its metro area and another large metro nearby (Greenville-Spartanburg).

Danville VA is directly on the NC border adjacent to the Triad counties of Stokes and Rockingham, and Mount Airy (Surry County) is directly on the VA border near Martinsville. Danville will soon be part of the Triad. There is a huge amount of interaction between these cities/counties in the Triad and southern VA.

Vance, Person, Warren, and Caswell counties of the Triangle border VA. The substantial towns of Henderson and Roanoke Rapids are directly on the VA border. The border of TN and NC is about half as long and not nearly as populated as NC and VA, so to say that the interaction between NC and TN is about the same as with VA is just incorrect.

All this is not to say that NC is more closely associated with VA than SC...that (again) depends on your point of view related to your location. But you don't seem to know much about the NC/VA border because some of the things you're saying aren't accurate.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 10-28-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Can confirm that a lot of people from NC commute into Hampton Roads. It was very common to see NC tags there. Now that I live in Raleigh, I basically see nothing but NC tags. I feel so alone, lol.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Can confirm that a lot of people from NC commute into Hampton Roads. It was very common to see NC tags there. Now that I live in Raleigh, I basically see nothing but NC tags. I feel so alone, lol.
I'm sure if you go to the northern Triangle closer to the VA border you would see a lot of VA tags. Raleigh itself is not all that near the border, but the northern reaches of it are. Don't feel alone...we like Virginians down here.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
The Research Triangle has tons of Virginia tags, far more than SC. Also, some areas of North Raleigh close to Falls Lake are only an hour or less south of the Virginia border. People from towns like Clarksville in VA come to Raleigh or Durham on weekends.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm sure there are some similarities between NC and PA, but the neighboring states of SC and VA are MUCH more like NC in MANY more ways. Simple geography dictates this. There are lots of areas between these 3 states (and a couple of others) where you can't tell any difference in the scenery...if you didn't know where you were you could be in any of them.

I'm guessing almost every state has an urban vs rural war in the legislatures. It's a pretty common divide everywhere.
Have you driven through the mountains in PA, MD, West VA, VA, as well as NC, because it ALL has similar scenery. Not only that, there are branches of the same families scattered throughout. Neither was my intention in saying that the current most similar state would be PA. Lawmakers in Harrisburg & Raleigh have no problem in holding up a budget for several months. In both cases they also have no problem at all in eviscerating the public schools in their budget.

The Moravians settled Bethlehem, PA & a group came to NC from PA. The Quakers in the Triad got there via two routes, primarily from PA & South Jersey. The Germanic settlers in the Piedmont came down from PA. There was a separate group of Germanic settlers in VA called Germanna. SC got some of the PA Germans & some others. NC & PA shared many families in the colonial era. There was shared architecture. Some buildings were designed by the same English architects from Philadelphia to Charleston. Most if the Scotch-Irish entered through the port of Philadelphia & some through Wilmington, DE. Most of the colonial Germanic immigrants went through the port of Philadelphia. Most Scottish "criminals" were prisoners of the wars. Many of the ships scattered the prisoners from New England to SC. Pennsylvania didn't get them directly, but as the Scots who were dumped in East Jersey headed for the hills, they ended up in the Poconos in Pennsylvania.

There are many similarities & there are differences. That holds true for any two states. I took the OP to mean most similar right now. I've been in rural Pennsylvania & worked in Philadelphia for decades. I live thisclose to rural NC, on the edge of the Charlotte metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina