Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM

8 posts, read 28,133 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC, we really like Asheville as we wanted the mountain feel. Its been Miami for a very long time and we needed a change. We are a Cuban/Dominican couple in our 40's and have an elementary school child so we prefer a nice community that we can find jobs. My husband is in Sales and I am in the education sector. Also we are concerned about racism against hispanics if any? Would really appreciate the guidance. Also we keep hearing about Cary any thoughts on that city? Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 62,985 times
I live in Cary and we have a huge Latino community. The economy has affected our employment outlook just like elsewhere, but we do have 3 major Universities nearby and also Research Triangle which employs many people. Cary is very safe with wonderful schools and lots of greenspace. Check us out!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Thank you! I will look into it

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 AM

7 posts, read 16,340 times
Cary is nice, so i Apex. I would strongly advise against the Wake County schools though. They are horrible academically (despite the awards that are obviously given without actually visiting the schools) and have serious drug issues.

I would strongly encourage you to look at private schools. There are many private schools here that are excellent.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
If you want a "mountain feel", I don't know why you are considering Cary, other than because you've "heard about" it? You really should list your own criteria and see what places fit that criteria, instead of getting on the "everybody says go to Cary, so Cary, here we come!" without knowing more about Cary than that. Many people like it, many do not. The name of the town you end up in is less important than finding an area where:

a) you can get jobs
b) the overall atmosphere is what you like
c) the cost of living is in your range

etc.

Just because tons of people are chanting "Cary! Cary! Cary! Cary!" doesn't mean it has what YOU are looking for--particularly with your comment about mountains. You ARE aware that Cary is nowhere near the mountains, right? I would plan a trip to Western NC first, then check out the Triangle area (Cary) is you decide that it meets your needs, but you should never move somewhere just because "someone said it was great". Those people probably think a lot of things are great that you don't!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I wish everyone would quit talking about Cary.

If you want mountains? Don't move to Cary.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Thank you all for the comments. Yes a trip to NC is in the works, I would never move to a place I wasnt sure about, I after all am an adult with a very good education, and I know Cary is not in the mountains, my goodness. Have a great day, no wonder people are no longer posting here!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynjm View Post
Thank you all for the comments. Yes a trip to NC is in the works, I would never move to a place I wasnt sure about, I after all am an adult with a very good education, and I know Cary is not in the mountains, my goodness. Have a great day, no wonder people are no longer posting here!
Sorry to have offended, but you would be AMAZED at the number of folks who post here, one step from calling the moving van, without ever having set foot here or knowing even basic NC geography. We have people coming in here all the time thinking the beach and the mountains are about 2 hours apart, for example. You mentioned mountains but didn't say anything about being aware that Cary was not among them. You'd be amazed at the folks who think they are going to roll over and die if they don't move to Cary specifically, just because all their neighbors up North told them so.

at any rate, questions about Western NC are better asked in the Western NC forum, and questions about Cary specifically go better in the Triangle forum.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 AM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sorry to have offended, but you would be AMAZED at the number of folks who post here, one step from calling the moving van, without ever having set foot here or knowing even basic NC geography. We have people coming in here all the time thinking the beach and the mountains are about 2 hours apart, for example. You mentioned mountains but didn't say anything about being aware that Cary was not among them. You'd be amazed at the folks who think they are going to roll over and die if they don't move to Cary specifically, just because all their neighbors up North told them so.

at any rate, questions about Western NC are better asked in the Western NC forum, and questions about Cary specifically go better in the Triangle forum.
We're safe, Francois.

I think the Welcoming Committee ran off another CD Newbie.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Francois, thanks for the post, no problem guys thinking of Durham now, planning a trip the end of July and see what happens. Feedback on Durham would be appreciated. This is someone who is tired of living in Miami, no the crime hasnt scared me, or the cultural diversity, or even the taxes or real estate bust. Basically in a point of my life that I would like to make a change. My first choice has always been Maine, Cape Elizabeth area, South Portland. Yes, i have visited 2 times and got married there on a vacation, but the winters are too extreme so NC was my 2nd choice because I have a brother in law in Wilmington. I dont want water though because I have a place in the FL keys, which I rent, if anyone is interested. I want a nice neighborhood in a nice city with nice poeple....that i can experience all 4 seasons....Asheville or Durham. You scared me on Cary lol! take care guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina