Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM

41 posts, read 90,948 times

Advertisements

we love the ocean. My daughter will be going to college next fall, 2012. Lots of decisions to make before then. I am in the Hotel business, upper management. What are jobs like in North Carolina? What is a good town or area not far from the coast? Cost of living?

I know these are a lot of questions. I want out of the heavy snows but need to be smart. I welcome all info. I know there are others that have relocated to the area, what are your thoughts? I am looking to rent a place at first at least a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny south bound View Post
we love the ocean. My daughter will be going to college next fall, 2012. Lots of decisions to make before then. I am in the Hotel business, upper management. What are jobs like in North Carolina? What is a good town or area not far from the coast? Cost of living?

I know these are a lot of questions. I want out of the heavy snows but need to be smart. I welcome all info. I know there are others that have relocated to the area, what are your thoughts? I am looking to rent a place at first at least a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom. Thanks in advance

Seems the daughter will have picked a school by now? Where is she going?

I believe UNC Wilmington and possibly East Carolina (and others) all have a huge HOSPITALITY program with many graduates seeking positions in teh hotel upper management fields.

You want to be ON THE OCEAN? Look at OBX. There is also the Top Sail south to Wilmington area to consider. Probably not a lot of opportunity as there are not lots of huge hotels.

Now if you look at Myrtle Beach, there are so many more hotels that you might find a position if you have the right references and network.

North Carolina's unemployment hasn't really changed much in the past year.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
If you're specifically interested in the coastal part of the state, you should read and post in the Coastal NC forum.

You say you asked a "lot of questions" but actually you have barely scratched the surface. You do know that NC is a large and diverse state, and is very different in the mountains than near the coast, or in the urban areas vs the country. We have a little of everything ehre, but you haven't given much info except "near the coast" as to what is possibly drawing you here.

NC unemployment overall is quite high (higher than NY) but it depends on location and industry, just like anywhere.

I would suggest you perusing the Coastal forum first, look into Wilmington or Greenville, which are the largest cities near the coasst. You also might check into Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA or Myrtle Beach, SC, which are both on the coast and substantially larger cities than anywhere on the NC coast (thus most likely to have hospitality jobs). If you get out a map of NC, you can see all of this and what's near/not near the coast.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny south bound View Post

Don't you have better access to the employment situation in your "...Hotel business, upper management" position than we would have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina