Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 18,415 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -

Car registration expired on 6/30, my husband got pulled over on 8/19 and was ticketed. He hadn't been driving the car during its expired registration, it was just parked at our house. That evening he was driving the car to the person's house who had just purchased the car, since we bought a new one. Of course the one 30 minute stretch of time that we drove the car without registration, he got pulled over!

Many of the previous suggestions say to bring proof of new registration with ticket to the courthouse, but we don't have the car anymore so I don't know what to do. We're heading to Durham on Friday for this and I would love to avoid the $215 fine+court fees.

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
If your husband drove a car with expired registration and got a ticket I don't know that there is much that can be done. Have you turned in your old plates yet? I'd go have a word with the DA and explain the situation (after the plates are turned in)... Maybe you'll get a break.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
You could get a copy of the registration from whoever you sold the car to

Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Might have been better to have the buyer drive the car without a plate? I was always told it was better to drive in transit without a plate than with the wrong plate. The plate needed to be turned in as soon as the car was no longer driven?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The law requires that you have a current registration. In the case of a sale such as you did, they probably have a temporary permit available to move it without the registration, as we do here in WA. It's specifically meant for buying, selling, or transporting during a restoration or major repair. Despite your story a judge would likely make you pay the fine.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Might have been better to have the buyer drive the car without a plate? I was always told it was better to drive in transit without a plate than with the wrong plate. The plate needed to be turned in as soon as the car was no longer driven?
yep, found this out the hard way. Just bought a car on a friday evening, no way to get a plate. Put a plate from my other car on it. I got pulled for "ficticious tags". My tags were confiscated, and it was within the cops right to tow the vehicle, but he did not do that. At court the case was dismissed when I showed the I got the new car registered, but I still had to go to the DMV and get a new set of tags for my original car. Once they are confiscated they are gone and you have to re-register the vehicle.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 18,415 times
Thanks everyone. The ticket was given on a Friday and the plates were turned in the next week. Sounds like the easiest thing is just to go explain our story and see what happens. Either way, I think it's ridiculous that the fine was $25 but the court fees were $180. I figure that if I'm going to have to pay anyway, I'm going to make the court do some work.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,610 times
Same thing happened to me when I was selling my car. Did you get the ticket for expired registration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina