Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

Anti-gay state Sen. James Forrester (R-Gaston) passed away at Gaston Memorial Hospital on Monday.
Forrester was the chief sponsor of the state’s impending anti-LGBT constitutional amendment banning marriage, civil unions and domestic partner benefits.

Doctors suspected the 11-term senator may have had a stroke that was accompanied by cranial bleeding, said his sister-in-law, Sally Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,495 times
How do you know he was angry? He got elected 11 times. He loved the work.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,495 times
Well, you did get into that. And the hate stuff.

And doubled down on the snark with the "pagan holiday" stuff.

Cheap political points at the expense of a dead guy. Is compassion a one way street?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
It is ironic that he just claimed in September that gay people live shorter lives than straight people. It's also ironic that, after many years of pushing this amendment, we won't be able to even cast a vote on the issue.
I have compassion for any person who dies and for the family that grieves for his/her parting. However, I do wish that everyone could have compassion for others while they are alive instead of demonizing them. Pushing legislation that clearly targets a group of individuals does not constitute compassion in my book....especially when the arguments for such actions have all sorts of holes in them that have never been explained to my satisfaction.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,997 times
Default Your Rights

Is pretty one sided. Funny how it is all bad things on them and the rest of us get the good. I think everyone already get the same rights as everyone else. By the way healthcare is not a right. Just my opinion. He was an old school guy that represented the majority of the people in his district. Proven by him being elected as many times as he was. He has brought the issue to the people to vote on. After the vote: One side will be happy. One side mad. But, the people would have expressed what they want. After that either side has their right to move to a place in which views their opinion. That is your right!!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It is ironic that he just claimed in September that gay people live shorter lives than straight people. It's also ironic that, after many years of pushing this amendment, we won't be able to even cast a vote on the issue.
I have compassion for any person who dies and for the family that grieves for his/her parting. However, I do wish that everyone could have compassion for others while they are alive instead of demonizing them. Pushing legislation that clearly targets a group of individuals does not constitute compassion in my book....especially when the arguments for such actions have all sorts of holes in them that have never been explained to my satisfaction.
I think that is the opinion of everyone. You, me everyone who feels strongly against an opinion differs on facts. We adopt facts that fits our mode of thinking. We would never be satisfied. The fact that the only study done is old. New data and facts are absent from that study. It stated 20 years less. Which at that time with the facts may have been correct. The fact is if you live a risk life style. You may die early. That means: smoking, drinking, sexual behavior and even driving a car can shorten a lifespan. So dismissing this fact is silly on anyone making either side of the argument. Males living to an average age of 75.2 He did not miss it by much.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
I think that is the opinion of everyone. You, me everyone who feels strongly against an opinion differs on facts. We adopt facts that fits our mode of thinking. We would never be satisfied. The fact that the only study done is old. New data and facts are absent from that study. It stated 20 years less. Which at that time with the facts may have been correct. The fact is if you live a risk life style. You may die early. That means: smoking, drinking, sexual behavior and even driving a car can shorten a lifespan. So dismissing this fact is silly on anyone making either side of the argument. Males living to an average age of 75.2 He did not miss it by much.
Facts from the past are not facts today.
If not, then I could use facts such as "women can't vote". It used to be a fact.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
[quote=Since72;21523249]IThe fact that the only study done is old. New data and facts are absent from that study. It stated 20 years less. Which at that time with the facts may have been correct. [\QUOTE]

The "study" he cites, by Paul Cameron, has been so thoroughly discredited by all major medical and psychiatric associations, not to mention the laughably flawed "research methodology" he used (using obituaries in one urban gay newspaper at the height of the AIDS crisis death toll to extrapolate to all gay people). In fact, this "Study" is now often used as a textbook example of BAD methodology...yet still is accepted as gospel truth in many right-wing circles.

Critique of the "methodology" used by Paul Cameron's studies

Religious Leader admits to using bad research to demonize gay community (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/12/14/religious-right-leader-admits-to-using-bad-research-to-demonize-gay-community-sees-nothing-wrong-with-it/ - broken link)

Further delving into the proven bad science used by Paul Cameron is left as an exercise for the reader.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM

351 posts, read 633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Anti-gay state Sen. James Forrester (R-Gaston) passed away at Gaston Memorial Hospital on Monday.
Forrester was the chief sponsor of the state’s impending anti-LGBT constitutional amendment banning marriage, civil unions and domestic partner benefits.

Doctors suspected the 11-term senator may have had a stroke that was accompanied by cranial bleeding, said his sister-in-law, Sally Beach.[LEFT]
Read more: Anti-gay state senator dies « QNotes - Carolina LGBT arts, entertainment, news, views
[/LEFT]
He will be missed. Hopefully, new senators will continue to fight for our beliefs.

Godspeed Sen Forrester.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Not saying it is the case here but isn't it amazing how so many right wing, holier than thou, anti gay nutcases eventually find their way out of the closet.

Maybe it's just me but I am always suspicious of the over the top anti gay loonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina