Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:39 PM

336 posts, read 513,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
2004 data. I doubt those counties are no longer the hot spots.
There was no U.S. Census in 2004, making it estimated or taken from voting records, neither of which are very accurate for hispanic population with the large number of illegal aliens. Those might still be the hot spots, but it is hard to say for sure. 2010 will be the next real U.S. Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
There was no U.S. Census in 2004, making it estimated or taken from voting records, neither of which are very accurate for hispanic population. Those might still be the hot spots, but it is hard to say for sure. 2010 will be the next real U.S. Census.
True, only estimations based on partial surveys, but it's the closest thing we have at the moment to a head count.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
Default Hispanic

Keep in mind that "Hispanic" in NC generally means Mexican or illegal aliens from Mexico, which is different than Cuban and Caribbean cultures. I grew up in Florida, and there are certainly differences between Cubans and Mexicans - the term Hispanic isn't entirely precise in my opinion when it is used to describe different cultures.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that Mexicans tend to keep to themselves, perhaps because many are here illegally. Cubans rightfully maintained their culture and traditions when they came to Florida, but they also became "mainstream" Americans (perhaps because they were here legally and didn't have anything to hide).

You sound like a pretty cool guy - I'm sure you will be able to fit in well - the larger cities of Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro would be your best bet for finding what you're looking for.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
True, only estimations based on partial surveys, but it's the closest thing we have at the moment to a head count.
I put little faith in such data. For example the Census Bureau's 2005 American Community Survey also excludes people living in group quarters such as rest homes, colleges, prisons and other nonhousehold settings.

*Estimations based on partial surveys* just don't float my boat.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-11-2006 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
From a rider's point of view western NC wins out hands down! From Charlotte you can be on the best roads in the USA in less than two hours.
In the heat of the summer you head for the cooler temps in the mountains. When, in the winter there is snow in the mountains you head to SC.
I have a daughter in Ralieigh. It is crowded, hot in the summer and the rural roads cannot compare with those in the mountains and foothills.
I don't know the Charlotte area that well but you may consider positioning yourself between Charlotte and Greensboro so you have two airports to choose from. I have those two plus Asheville at an equal distance of about 80 miles.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM

72 posts, read 271,034 times
Thanks for all the replies, all. I know "hispanic" is a bit of a broad term, and often people confuse it with Mexicans. Of course everyone knows that Cubans are the smartest, best looking and generally most wonderful Hispanics (at least that's what my wife tells me ) but she is not hugely picky or we'd be living in Elizabeth, NJ or Miami.

I'm going to try and take a week and just drive around to many of the places that have been mentioned, and see if any locations "grab" me for further review with the wife.

Has the growing real estate "slump" affected NC much? I know prices up here are falling and inventories are growing, I wouldn't mind if that were the case in NC, at least until we sign on the dottled line.

JAS, I guess I'm as cool as the next guy that sometimes likes to eat and drink too much and tell the occasional cheezy joke. I need to get out of NYC since there's too much pretensiousness, and people are trying so **** hard to be "cute" and "hip" that it's out of control. Combine that with the fact that the "uber-'open minded'" northeast is fine as long as you believe exactly what the self-proclaimed 'open-minded' folks tell you to believe drives me nuts.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, all. I know "hispanic" is a bit of a broad term, and often people confuse it with Mexicans. Of course everyone knows that Cubans are the smartest, best looking and generally most wonderful Hispanics (at least that's what my wife tells me ) but she is not hugely picky or we'd be living in Elizabeth, NJ or Miami.

I'm going to try and take a week and just drive around to many of the places that have been mentioned, and see if any locations "grab" me for further review with the wife.

Has the growing real estate "slump" affected NC much? I know prices up here are falling and inventories are growing, I wouldn't mind if that were the case in NC, at least until we sign on the dottled line.

JAS, I guess I'm as cool as the next guy that sometimes likes to eat and drink too much and tell the occasional cheezy joke. I need to get out of NYC since there's too much pretensiousness, and people are trying so **** hard to be "cute" and "hip" that it's out of control. Combine that with the fact that the "uber-'open minded'" northeast is fine as long as you believe exactly what the self-proclaimed 'open-minded' folks tell you to believe drives me nuts.

My husband tells me Cubans are the smartest and best looking too, must be in the blood .

Don't get too excited about leaving the self-proclaimed 'open-minded' folks that want you to believe what they believe because they are open minded, because lots are moving to the South too. Re-read some of the post these deep thinking open minded people are looking to move to towns that believe what they believe. They don't have much tolerance for any other way of thinking.
That's what drives the natives crazy.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM

72 posts, read 271,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
My husband tells me Cubans are the smartest and best looking too, must be in the blood .

Don't get too excited about leaving the self-proclaimed 'open-minded' folks that want you to believe what they believe because they are open minded, because lots are moving to the South too. Re-read some of the post these deep thinking open minded people are looking to move to towns that believe what they believe. They don't have much tolerance for any other way of thinking.
That's what drives the natives crazy.
NO KIDDING! The thing that makes me nutty is the same people that get horribly offended when they hear a racist joke are the ones that only go to the white people bars and clubs, and lock their doors and clutch their purse/briefcase all the tighter when they see a black man in a suit walk down the street.

When I lived in Raleigh I heard about 3 bad/racist jokes in 3 months, but also noticed that white and black folks seemed to "just get along" and just interact with each other like it was no big deal. Half the hipsters in Manhattan want a merit badge or public recognition from all their white friends because they once went to the yuppie part of Brooklyn and saw a black person.

I also really don't see what is so amazing about NY pizza or bagles, and if I never get nearly sideswiped by someone in a Nissan SpanishArmada swilling starbucks/dunkies and yapping on their phone I will be a happy camper.

Ok, stepping off the soap box and returning to our regularly scheduled programming...

Old 09-11-2006, 01:13 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
NO KIDDING! The thing that makes me nutty is the same people that get horribly offended when they hear a racist joke are the ones that only go to the white people bars and clubs, and lock their doors and clutch their purse/briefcase all the tighter when they see a black man in a suit walk down the street.

When I lived in Raleigh I heard about 3 bad/racist jokes in 3 months, but also noticed that white and black folks seemed to "just get along" and just interact with each other like it was no big deal. Half the hipsters in Manhattan want a merit badge or public recognition from all their white friends because they once went to the yuppie part of Brooklyn and saw a black person.

I also really don't see what is so amazing about NY pizza or bagles, and if I never get nearly sideswiped by someone in a Nissan SpanishArmada swilling starbucks/dunkies and yapping on their phone I will be a happy camper.

Ok, stepping off the soap box and returning to our regularly scheduled programming...

Agree with everything you said except you lost me with the bagels and the pizza. You have to cut me some slack, I've been in AZ too long and I miss the NY pizza and bagels. When we move to NC we are going to take a weekend trip to NYC and have some pizza and bagels and then go home.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
Strictly speaking from a rider's point of view the west of NC wins hands down. Raleigh is too hot in the summer, too crowded year around and everyone is doing the soccor mom thing with the cell phone to their ears.
Charlotte on the other hand is two hours from the best riding in the USA. And, when it gets hot in the summer you head to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina