Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 01:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Well...I am fairly familiar with Columbia in that my parents lived there for 15 years, my niece went to College there and my grandfather died and is buried there. Columbia's major employers are the State, the University and the Military.

Charleston has a larger upper class, has lots of wealthy retirees, also has the military and ports as well as numerous higher education. It also has better weather and as you alluded to sells itself to tourists. My question for capital cities is outside of some of the museums they offer, why would a tourist go to Columbia over Charleston?

In comparison, I would say its a cultural wasteland. Population wise, we understand that they may be similar in size, but there is nothing really culturally relevant in Columbia. Columbia is largely known nationally for flying a confederate flag prominently.
Riverbanks Zoo and Fort Jackson (largest training base on the east coast)…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 06:45 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Riverbanks Zoo and Fort Jackson (largest training base on the east coast)…..
Been to Riverbanks a number of times. Its a mediocre zoo from a national scale.

Plenty of places have large military bases, there is nothing much special about Fort Jackson.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:19 AM

247 posts, read 433,276 times
Quote:
Been to Riverbanks a number of times. Its a mediocre zoo from a national scale.

Plenty of places have large military bases, there is nothing much special about Fort Jackson.
I've been to both Riverbanks and the NC Zoo, and I prefer Riverbanks, and apparently so does everyone else.

Riverbanks, despite being a smaller zoo, receives over a million guest a year, and NC Zoo does not.

While NC Zoo is "bigger" it is not necessarily better, especially those with families.

Try getting a toddler to walk a quarter mile (exaggerating just a hair here but you get the idea) just to get to the next exhibit, it's not easy going.

My opinion

From a "family" perspective,
Riverbanks Zoo > NC Zoo

Animal perspective
NC Zoo > Riverbanks Zoo

My opinion without a family
Riverbanks Zoo > NC Zoo

Old 01-11-2023, 08:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Well...I am fairly familiar with Columbia in that my parents lived there for 15 years, my niece went to College there and my grandfather died and is buried there. Columbia's major employers are the State, the University and the Military.

Charleston has a larger upper class, has lots of wealthy retirees, also has the military and ports as well as numerous higher education. It also has better weather and as you alluded to sells itself to tourists. My question for capital cities is outside of some of the museums they offer, why would a tourist go to Columbia over Charleston?
Nobody argued that a tourist should go to Columbia over Charleston.

Quote:
In comparison, I would say its a cultural wasteland. Population wise, we understand that they may be similar in size, but there is nothing really culturally relevant in Columbia. Columbia is largely known nationally for flying a confederate flag prominently.
Even in comparison, it is no such thing. Columbia wasn't responsible for that damn flag flying for as long as it did; that was all on those backwards Lowcountry and Upstate legislators. Columbia sued the state to take it down several years ago. Columbia has long been a more progressive and more inclusive city than Charleston, contrary to popular opinion.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
I've been to both Riverbanks and the NC Zoo, and I prefer Riverbanks, and apparently so does everyone else.

Riverbanks, despite being a smaller zoo, receives over a million guest a year, and NC Zoo does not.

While NC Zoo is "bigger" it is not necessarily better, especially those with families.

Try getting a toddler to walk a quarter mile (exaggerating just a hair here but you get the idea) just to get to the next exhibit, it's not easy going.

My opinion

From a "family" perspective,
Riverbanks Zoo > NC Zoo

Animal perspective
NC Zoo > Riverbanks Zoo

My opinion without a family
Riverbanks Zoo > NC Zoo
There was no mention of the NC zoo...I stated it is mediocre "on a national scale". Its a nice regional zoo, nothing special. the layout is much different than NC's zoo, which gets some pub because of it being spread out and being on tv.

People travel to go to zoo's in Washington DC and San Diego among many others...

https://www.timeout.com/usa/things-t...zoos-in-the-us

Neither SC or NC zoo's are in the Top 24. Tough to hang your hat on that if no one outside of SC is going there.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
There was no mention of the NC zoo...I stated it is mediocre "on a national scale". Its a nice regional zoo, nothing special. the layout is much different than NC's zoo, which gets some pub because of it being spread out and being on tv.

People travel to go to zoo's in Washington DC and San Diego among many others...

Neither SC or NC zoo's are in the Top 24. Tough to hang your hat on that if no one outside of SC is going there.
It's easy enough to find rankings (which are a dime a dozen) in recent years that ranks Riverbanks highly:

https://www.tripspell.com/best-zoos-...tes-of-america
https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-zoo-2019/
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/the-...092789892.html
https://thebitetour.com/the-15-large...-in-the-world/

You seriously think no one outside of SC is visiting Riverbanks?

Old 01-11-2023, 06:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times
Quote:

I live in Charlotte and everyone I know goes to Riverbanks….especially those with children…it’s a very short drive.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:09 AM

247 posts, read 433,276 times
Quote:

There was no mention, correct, however this thread is a topic on NC being different than SC, so I was using the comparison based on that.

Yes we can pull one article from online that does not mention Riverbanks or NC Zoo, but you will find other articles that mention Riverbanks more than you will regarding NC Zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina