Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2022, 05:56 AM

249 posts, read 436,625 times

Advertisements

We may also be looking at this in different ways also and there can be multiple comparisons between the 2.

Downtown Beauty - Greenville by a long shot in my opinion.
Overall City Beauty (leaving downtown) - Asheville
Shopping - Greenville by a long shot
Food (Non Chains) - Asheville
Food (Chains) - Greenville

Biltmore is also overrated in my opinion (don't shoot me..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 08:07 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I’ve also spent a good deal of time in Greenville. There is simply no comparison. Greenville, outside of downtown, could be anywhere.
I pretty much agree. I like Greenville's downtown for what it is, but Asheville 100% blows it out of the water.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:53 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,312,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
We may also be looking at this in different ways also and there can be multiple comparisons between the 2.

I agree with some of this. Big box shopping is better in Greenville as well as food chains. Downtown beauty depends on what your preferences are: Asheville’s downtown is Bohemian and eclectic while Greenville’s is more traditional but very well done. I like both.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:41 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Driving from Florence to Atlanta through Columbia is quite rural, and I-85 through NC looks like you're in a major metropolitan area almost the entire 220 miles.
I'd say your idea of what a major metropolitan area looks like is vastly different than that of most people.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:04 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say your idea of what a major metropolitan area looks like is vastly different than that of most people.
Agree. 4 lanes of 95 surroubded by open fields, churches, billboards, gas stations and fast food doesn't really screen major metropolitan area to me. I actually think 95 through the Carolinas is probably one of the worst stretches of the road, though none of it is actually pleasant.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:11 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Agree. 4 lanes of 95 surroubded by open fields, churches, billboards, gas stations and fast food doesn't really screen major metropolitan area to me. I actually think 95 through the Carolinas is probably one of the worst stretches of the road, though none of it is actually pleasant.
He was referring to I-85 which, despite going through Charlotte, Greensboro, and Durham, has long stretches of areas that absolutely do not resemble a major metropolitan area. North of Durham, I-85 is the definition of desolate.

Old 12-31-2022, 01:24 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,281,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
It is ok, it is NC “urban”. Said it a thousand times, not sure the complaint, everybody that moved here from up there, is trying to escape the urban rat race for the most part. I really wish people would stop inferring that Northeast corridor “urban” with meaning better, that is an absolute false perspective.

Old 12-31-2022, 03:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post

I agree. Greenville definitely wins. Especially as a place to live.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:28 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well after living for the past 30 years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, New York City and Northern New Jersey, when it comes to highways I have a pretty good idea of what interstates in the US look like.

I-85 does not look like a rural interstate except for at each border with about 30 miles near VA and about 10 miles at SC.

That's out of about 220 miles for the entire length of I-85 through NC.

For the overwhelming majority of the distance, the highway is 8 lanes wide, some of it is 6 lanes, and there are many, many exits with all kinds of businesses, hotels and gas stations and eateries.

That's exactly what the suburban peripheries of major cities look like including Atlanta and Southern California.

I-85 through the upstate of SC looks like that too. It does not look like you are in a rural area.

Florence to Augusta in SC does look rural.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:19 PM

678 posts, read 496,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well after living for the past 30 years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, New York City and Northern New Jersey, when it comes to highways I have a pretty good idea of what interstates in the US look like.

I-85 does not look like a rural interstate except for at each border with about 30 miles near VA and about 10 miles at SC.

That's out of about 220 miles for the entire length of I-85 through NC.

For the overwhelming majority of the distance, the highway is 8 lanes wide, some of it is 6 lanes, and there are many, many exits with all kinds of businesses, hotels and gas stations and eateries.

That's exactly what the suburban peripheries of major cities look like including Atlanta and Southern California.

I-85 through the upstate of SC looks like that too. It does not look like you are in a rural area.

Florence to Augusta in SC does look rural.

Interstate 85 from North of Salisbury to the 85/29 split at Grandover looks rural with the possible exception of exits 111 (Archdale) and 103 Ithomasville)

This is how most of that stretch looks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7996...7i16384!8i8192

With the exceptions of the huge interchanges on the southwest edge and eastern edge of Greensboro, 85 through Greensboro doesn't look like you are driving through a major metro. Plenty of lanes, but plenty of trees, but no built up interchanges except for the Interchange with Elm/Eugene Street. Actually in my opinion, outside of going through Charlotte, the 8 mile stretch going through Burlington looks more ”major” than any other part of 85 throughout the state. Burlington looks like a city of 200,000 as opposed to 50,000 if just going by that built up section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina