Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:00 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,828 times

Advertisements

Really appreciate all the feedback. It's nice to get some info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I have a question: Isnt Mass. pretty liberal, I mean progressive, already?

Why is that places such as NY, CT, CA, and many other liberal leaning states have so many people that want to move from them but still seek the same type of politics they are leaving?
One answer to that....expense. The most liberal areas in the country also seem to be the most expensive. (Supply and demand?). New England, California, New York City....all extremely expensive...and crowded.

I have a very liberal mindset, but I enjoy the wide-open spaces and don't have a huge bank account. Thus, I am always looking for those pockets of progressive thought in less expensive (and warmer) states.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM

280 posts, read 1,136,245 times
Having lived in both areas in the past, I learned that "liberal" in Massachusetts is pretty different from "liberal" on North Carolina, even in Chapel Hill. Students and residents seemed much less politically active in NC. I can't imagine seeing a legalize marijuana rally on Franklin Street like the Extravaganja event they hold in the Amherst commons every year.

When I lived in MA I was considered a conservative by the locals, when I lived in NC I was considered liberal by the local. And I loved living in both places.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
We are looking to find out what it's really like to live in NC ..
If you wish to see what it is really like to live in NC, then focusing on Chapel Hill, Boone, Guilford College and Durham, hardly fits the bill.

If you want to live among liberal thinking people, that is one thing, but that is not necessarily the same as "really like to live in NC."

lln

Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 47,052 times
Asheville or Boone, Guilford/Greensboro area, Chapel Hill

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 14,766 times
Politics are the last reason for my wanting to leave NY. I'm looking for open-minded, and willing to give alternative ways of doing things a chance. NY is getting better but slooooowly as far as changing its views on traditional vs. non-traditional, Western minded ways of doing things - as in the practice of alternative therapies. What's odd is that some Northeasterners think that alternative therapies are "new age" and fail to realize that it is worthwhile to explore some of these actually ancient practices that complement, and are not threatening the practice or advocating the abandonment of traditional ways.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
"Why is that places such as NY, CT, CA, and many other liberal leaning states have so many people that want to move from them but still seek the same type of politics they are leaving?"

I can answer that. In a word, rudeness. Nothing defines the culture of my home state, CT, like rudeness. It is the north, south, east and west of our cultural compass. That and greed. Other than that, there is NOTHING going on here. Trust me, you don't want to live in CT.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolet View Post
Politics are the last reason for my wanting to leave NY. I'm looking for open-minded, and willing to give alternative ways of doing things a chance. NY is getting better but slooooowly as far as changing its views on traditional vs. non-traditional, Western minded ways of doing things - as in the practice of alternative therapies. What's odd is that some Northeasterners think that alternative therapies are "new age" and fail to realize that it is worthwhile to explore some of these actually ancient practices that complement, and are not threatening the practice or advocating the abandonment of traditional ways.
I am into Tai Chi, Yoga, Reiki, aromatherapy, Taoism, TM, etc and happily live in Charlotte.

I find it so odd that people seem to equate ancient wisdom with liberal political views. I don't get it and never have.

I am a native and I began studying yoga, TM and Taoism over 30 years ago and always found folks around me to be very interested in these subjects, regardless of where I lived in NC or what anyone else's political beliefs might have been.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM

310 posts, read 672,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
When I say progressive I actually don't mean politically liberal, I mean a place with culture, theater, good coffee, higher education, art, and some cultural diversity (or at least hospitality to those of diverse backgrounds.) The reason we (and many others) are thinking of moving is because the cost of living is so high!
Just be careful how you vote once you're down here. We have a problem with people still voting like they're in the Blue-ish states they left because of how expensive it was to live there, and as a result, NC is quickly becoming a not-so-affordable place to live, or for that matter, exist period. Just something to think about.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:22 PM

45 posts, read 178,424 times
Mattman704 said,
"Just be careful how you vote once you're down here. We have a problem with people still voting like they're in the Blue-ish states they left because of how expensive it was to live there, and as a result, NC is quickly becoming a not-so-affordable place to live, or for that matter, exist period. Just something to think about. "

WOW! I don't want to live where you live if that's the common attitude. I wouldn't begin to warn someone to "be careful how you vote." Does that make me a bleeding heart liberal? I thought I was just an American who thinks people should vote how they see fit. Your comments make me think I probably don't vote for your candidates.

I try to keep my political views to myself though I sometimes find it difficult. I know that if I move to some place in the South, I can count on being surrounded by Republican-leaning people. LBJ lost the South for the Democratic Party when he signed the Civil Rights Act. All my Alabama and Georgia relatives--who used to Democrats--are now voting for the Republican presidential candidate regardless of who he is. That's their right just as it's my right to vote for the candidate that represents the American worker.

Last edited by galena; 07-11-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina