Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,874 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a predominately white area. Or predominately Spanish, Korean, Black, Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc. area. We tend to congregate towards like minded individuals. This is not a new phenomenon. It reinforces identity, builds community, makes us feel safe and most importantly it makes us feel at home.*

It is not nor will it ever be racist. *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM

76 posts, read 130,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This kinda goes back to my first post on this thread. NC/SC are not the best states for folks (white, Asian, Black, Hispanic, or any race) who wish to be away from ethnic diversity. There are many "white only" suburbs in America, but the south isn't really built like that. We don't have Asian, Black, White, Hispanic areas of town. Everyone (for the most part) lives together. I'll admit, there are some neighborhoods where one might find 80% or better of just one race. However, you will be "just around the corner" from an area with a large number of other races.

Also keep in mind that two out of the three cities you asked about (Charlotte and Columbia) have black males as mayors. Charlotte also recently elected an openly lesbian black city council woman. In the case of Columbia and Charlotte, your kids would be in the minority within the public schools (in Charlotte, you and your wife would represent only 45% of the total population).

It is my opinion that you might want to re-think your choices of cities and states. This is by no means me trying to judge your personal wants. I'm just trying to let you know that your ethnic reasons for wanting out of the DC metro will be the same reasons why you will want out of NC/SC.

I am not a huge fan of this particular list (best cities for African Americans) but you should try to stay away from cities that made this list. FWIW, DC, Charlotte, and Raleigh are all on the list.

Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Jacksonville)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Columbus)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Indianapolis)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Charlotte)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Dallas)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Nashville)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Houston)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Raleigh-Durham)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Atlanta)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Washington DC)

^^^This does NOT mean that these great cities are "good for blacks; bad for whites". It simply means that blacks are statistically doing well in these cities compared to other cities. So, when I see a white family wanting out of a city that made this list due to ethnic reasons (cities where blacks are doing relatively well I might add); that tells me alot.

What it says to me (and this is the nicest way I can think of putting it) is that my city and state will not work for your family. Good luck with your search. Maybe Johnson County Kansas might work for your family. I've recently read that JoCo Kansas has a long and proud history of "doing what it takes" to keep out the "undesirables". IMO, it sounds like the type of place your family would LOVE. Here's the census info on that suburban county of Kansas City (and note that KC did not make the listing above).

Johnson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Great advice!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 AM

28 posts, read 81,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikers13 View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a predominately white area. Or predominately Spanish, Korean, Black, Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc. area. We tend to congregate towards like minded individuals. This is not a new phenomenon. It reinforces identity, builds community, makes us feel safe and most importantly it makes us feel at home.*

It is not nor will it ever be racist. *
As I read this post, I am shocked and appalled that anyone would even bother to help this person. Are we living in 2013 or the 1966. Congregating to like minded individuals???????!!!!!! Does that mean only white people think alike or that only black people think alike? This is the very ignorance that is keeping our society from getting past racism and separatism. I know that there are more than enough of you out there who are more than happy to try to help this person and your segment of the world remain flour white. Call it what it is and quit hiding behind the facade that it is about safety or any other alibi. This is racist pure and simple.

I am an African american doctor and so is my wife. We live in an area of Atlanta that is 7% african american. I live in a completely white neighborhood. I have never felt like I needed to choose an area based on color for any reason. I chose to live here because I could afford it and I was with "like minded" people and color didn't matter to me. I treat mostly white patients everyday. I can assure you that on the inside we are all the same color. YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. White does not equal right. Neither does being a person of color equate to danger or inferiority. To assume that and ask for predominately white living conditions is plain and simple racism. Go ahead be brave and honest and say so!!!

Don't bring your BS to the Carolinas the last kind of person we need here is your kind of person. There are unsafe white areas and unsafe black areas and there are unsafe combinations of the two. I hate like heck that I have to raise 3 kids in a world that assumes the worst about them because of their color. I would not want to live in an all white world or an all black world. There are bad people in every race. Segregating yourselves according to color is ignorant and perpetuates every single stereotype that many of us have been fighting or dealing with for years. GET OVER YOURSELF! Buy an island in the middle of nowhere and build your own little arian lifestyle. Today, I am ashamed, appalled, and heartbroken this crap still exists.

Even though I am not happy right now...May God bless you and your family and I hope you find happiness somewhere.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
AS I've said in previous threads as well. The south, at least in NC. Neighborhoods are more broken down my income or "class" than race. Granted you may find one race more heavily at one income range than another, especially at teh extremes. But most neighborhoods consist of similar people, regardless of race. Even when speaking of the extremes, there are no "good side of town" for the most part, and a very rich area is often literally one street away from a very poor one. With the middle class all mixed up together.

All that said, with all of the transplants in the last 20 years, subdivisions/HOAs have taken over in a lot of area. Making for homogeneous neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Lets just be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you had simply said "I'm looking for a safe area" instead of "I'm looking for a white area", it wouldn't have caused this commotion.
But you see... They said exactly what they meant/wanted. It was very clear.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRoad View Post
Thanks Mariposa! I tried the search you referenced. Unfortunately, Sweden is too far of a commute, and we don't like cold weather. However, I appreciate your advice.
Never mind that a lot of white folk are crack heads, meth heads, muderers, sex offenders, stalkers, rapist, etc that live in posh settings...caveat emptor because you never really know what the hell is happening next door. Just look for a nice neighborhood, no matter racial composition, that would be my advice.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,960,608 times
Columbia, Charlotte, and Raleigh have plenty of areas outside the city and suburbs for you in the rural areas. You'll find plenty of trailor parks, meth labs as well as confederate flags just for your liking. If it ain't white, it ain't right!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,995 times
Keep in mind that Tega Cay has a population of just over 7,500 and don't have their own school system.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzy1967 View Post
As I read this post, I am shocked and appalled that anyone would even bother to help this person. Are we living in 2013 or the 1966. Congregating to like minded individuals???????!!!!!! Does that mean only white people think alike or that only black people think alike? This is the very ignorance that is keeping our society from getting past racism and separatism. I know that there are more than enough of you out there who are more than happy to try to help this person and your segment of the world remain flour white. Call it what it is and quit hiding behind the facade that it is about safety or any other alibi. This is racist pure and simple.

I am an African american doctor and so is my wife. We live in an area of Atlanta that is 7% african american. I live in a completely white neighborhood. I have never felt like I needed to choose an area based on color for any reason. I chose to live here because I could afford it and I was with "like minded" people and color didn't matter to me. I treat mostly white patients everyday. I can assure you that on the inside we are all the same color. YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE. White does not equal right. Neither does being a person of color equate to danger or inferiority. To assume that and ask for predominately white living conditions is plain and simple racism. Go ahead be brave and honest and say so!!!

Don't bring your BS to the Carolinas the last kind of person we need here is your kind of person. There are unsafe white areas and unsafe black areas and there are unsafe combinations of the two. I hate like heck that I have to raise 3 kids in a world that assumes the worst about them because of their color. I would not want to live in an all white world or an all black world. There are bad people in every race. Segregating yourselves according to color is ignorant and perpetuates every single stereotype that many of us have been fighting or dealing with for years. GET OVER YOURSELF! Buy an island in the middle of nowhere and build your own little arian lifestyle. Today, I am ashamed, appalled, and heartbroken this crap still exists.

Even though I am not happy right now...May God bless you and your family and I hope you find happiness somewhere.
I hold an MA and plan on pursuing a PHD in communications. My thesis work looked at social identity theory in grassroots Christian communities. I was not being racist. I was merely paraphrasing communication scholars in that people tend to congregate with like minded individuals. *I live in the northeast. Communities where I am from are highly segregated by income, religion etc. I think it is completely reasonable for a someone to ask to live in a predominately white area. I also think it is okay to want to live in a predominately (insert people you would like to live around here).*

I think it is completely ignorant of you to assume there was a racist undertone to what I wrote. Especially since we all know race is culturally constructed. Take a minute to hear what I am saying- yes we discriminate, we belong to groups, groups reinforce our identities. This will not change. It is not an issue of race. You made it an issue of race.*

And I am a HUGE fan of Jesus so God bless you and your family as well.*

Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikers13 View Post
I hold an MA and plan on pursuing a PHD in communications. My thesis work looked at social identity theory in grassroots Christian communities. I was not being racist. I was merely paraphrasing communication scholars in that people tend to congregate with like minded individuals. *I live in the northeast. Communities where I am from are highly segregated by income, religion etc. I think it is completely reasonable for a someone to ask to live in a predominately white area. I also think it is okay to want to live in a predominately (insert people you would like to live around here).*

I think it is completely ignorant of you to assume there was a racist undertone to what I wrote. Especially since we all know race is culturally constructed. Take a minute to hear what I am saying- yes we discriminate, we belong to groups, groups reinforce our identities. This will not change. It is not an issue of race. You made it an issue of race.*

And I am a HUGE fan of Jesus so God bless you and your family as well.*
The reason it won't change is because people like you won't and don't believe it will change. It can change but it starts with me, you, your family, friends.... Who knows maybe one day we will all become one and love each other like brothers and sisters. Hmmmm... I think I heard that somewhere before... Oh yes.... That guy you said you were a HUGE fan of. No one who loves Him could possibly make such a hopeless statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina