Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadetroit View Post
Also called a zipper spider due to the zipper like stitch it puts in it's web. Pretty neat.
Yeah, they don't each much - just an unruly child or two.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 25,779 times
Default I took a picture of this spider in Kinsale, VA

The Yellow-and-Black Garden Spider
Attached Thumbnails
Yellow/black spider?-spider2.jpg  

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,345 times
Are there any poisonous spiders over there?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Wait until you find one of these things.

House centipede - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Okay, I am officially signing in to say I HATE this thread. That arachniphobic in me is horrified by those pictures.

We had a skink (small lizard) in the house the other day - my DH caught it as it was coming out from under the fridge. He caught it and set it loose in the backyard. No idea how it got in, although the way my kids leave the backdoor open as they are going out to play, it probably thought it had an open invitation!

When we first moved into our house in October we had millipedes EVERYWHERE in the TV room of our house. It was digusting. I'm hoping that our visits from the Orkin man that we started will alleviate that problem a bit this fall.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 25,681 times
Default black and yellow spider

Here is a picture of one I found in my backyard..
Attached Thumbnails
Yellow/black spider?-spider.jpg  

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
We have several around our house. I don't know where they spend the spring and summer, but it always seems to be a herald of fall when we see the black 'n yellow fellers show up. And since the days are getting shorter and will soon be getting cooler, I guess it will be time to revive the Lady Bug!! thread. I expect to start walking thru the house and feel the *crunch* of those little buggers as they begin to come inside.

Just found a live ladybug in the house today, I'll take that over a house centipede anyday!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
We have a yellow/black spider about the size of a quarter that has built a web across our backdoor every night for the past week. Because I'm arachnophobia I refuse to open that door now, since every morning the web is gone and spider is nowhere to be found (gross). Then every night at dusk he's back with a new web. Last night my dog was desperate to go outside one last time and my husband opened the door and my poor dog had to run through the web to go relieve himself. I'm the sure spider was ticked that his whole web was ruined too.

I keep asking my husband to REMOVE THE SPIDER but he won't do it. ARG!!! I'm not asking him to kill it, just MOVE IT. But he thinks it's cool to watch the spider weave the web across our entire doorway every night.

Freak.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Spiders on drugs and the webs they weave. Love this!

http://www.drinkexotic.com/images/spider_webs.jpeg

There are other pictures: google, images, "spiders on drugs." I ran into this one day when I was looking for something at work. I drink too, too much coffee. I guess that explains a lot.

Girl, about this time of year we have a contest as to who has to go out our front door first. First one out gets to deal with the spider web. Luckily, it is usually dh.

Last edited by NCN; 09-20-2007 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Well, bless your heart! Spiders are the least of your worries - here in NC, we get copperheads (POISONOUS snake) in the house.
In the house? Where do you live? We used to get one or two snakes, one usually being a copperhead in the hot summertime on his way down the mountain going through our yard to get to the creek. We also had to watch when we picked cucumbers. Copperheads are sneaky.

Between snakes and spiders, I will take the spiders, but I have actually seen more damage to people by spider bites. My mother used to sprinkle down her basement with seven dust when she saw insects around. That would not work for me since I am allergic to seven dust.

I like the little things you plug in the electric socket that sends a sonic wave or something like that to drive varments crazy. I usually buy new ones this time of year.

Last edited by NCN; 09-20-2007 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina