Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM

19,478 posts, read 28,070,439 times

Advertisements

There are over 100 Special Plates issued by the NC DMV, including one's for watermelon. Piedmont Airlines (who went out of business 20+ years ago, yes?), shag dancing (what is that?), Scuba (is that really such a big activity in NC?) and a surfing foundation. There are even license plates for universities in other states (University of Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, etc.)

While I've no doubt these and the other 100 or so plates are good causes (except maybe the watermelon), I wonder why there is no Organ Donor license plate? We've had one for years in AZ, and it brings a lot of awareness of the issue just from driving around. And some of the proceeds from the extra fee goes to the specific charity or cause involved (in this case "Donate a Life" organization.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Okay, further research indicates that they are trying to get one. Information here.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,726,089 times
I don't like the idea of a donor license plate.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't like the idea of a donor license plate.
May I ask why?

In any event, they have been approved by the state and will begin being issued very soon.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,726,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
May I ask why?

In any event, they have been approved by the state and will begin being issued very soon.
I am a retired librarian and have probably read too many books about things that could happen. I am certainly not going to get a donor license plate to be a target for some manic who might have a relative that needs something donated. If the situation should arise, my family is more than welcome to decide to donate my organs, but I will never sign a paper or have a license plate that might put me in harms way automatically. I know, I am paranoid. And on this subject I really am paranoid. I see too many possibilities for foul play. Yes, I have read too many murder mysteries.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM

I understand and respect your feelings. And I mean no offense.

But leaving this decision to your family at that terrible moment is an awful thing to do to them. Have you considered their feelings?

And, if you are in support of donating your organs, why would you risk that your family may be to upset to remember, and that your precious organs might go to waste?

Do you have a will that leaves your assets to your family? Are you equally paranoid about them going after their inheritance a little early? There are plenty of books about this, too - and far more common in reality, I'm sure.

These are rhetorical questions, of course. And no reply is necessary. I just wanted to give you some food for thought and further consideration.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,626,507 times
We do, it's a motorcycle tag

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We do, it's a motorcycle tag
Actually, they are waiting to get 300 applications so that they can issue a tag for auto's - I guess that the motorcycle one has already been issued?

So - anyone who supports organ donation and wants to consider getting one of these specialty tags (and donating to organ donation sites around the state of NC) can go to Donate Life NC. You can also register as an organ donor at that site.

And not to get on a soap box - but I hope you all will consider donating as the gift of life. Thank you.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,041,370 times
They already have a donor tag on your driver's license, so what's the point of a plate? I would hesitate to get a donor license plate. What if there is an accident with more than one person in the car and one person who did not want to donate his organs was also killed? That's why I think the driver license is the best.

NCN, no one is going to harvest your organs. Geez.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
They already have a donor tag on your driver's license, so what's the point of a plate? I would hesitate to get a donor license plate. What if there is an accident with more than one person in the car and one person who did not want to donate his organs was also killed? That's why I think the driver license is the best.

NCN, no one is going to harvest your organs. Geez.
The point of the plate has NOTHING to do with organ donation, per se. The plate has NO EFFECT ON THE PASSENGERS. Geez.

A plate serves two purposes:

1. It gets the word out about donation. We have had them on both our cars for years in AZ, and have frequently had people walk up to us in parking lots asking about organ donation.

2. Generally, A resident of NC pays $30 for a specialized license plate (whether it's breast cancer, MS, various other diseases, civic clubs, fraternities, sports teams, colleges, environmental causes, or the Harley Davidson club, et al.) Usually, $20 goes to supporting that non-profit or civic group.

That sounds like a win-win to me. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina