Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 33,461 times

Advertisements

My family and i are looking all over the USA for a place to relocate to. we now live in Florida and want to leave to fine a better jobs market.we are looking at NC/Dallas/Houston and some other northern states. we would like a little honest talk about things in NC please don't sugar coat anything. tell us the way it really is. give us the lowdown on jobs/schools/homes prices/best places to live with small kids and so on. our choices and ether Dallas fort worth or North Carolina. give us your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahRas51 View Post
...want to leave to fine a better jobs market.
we would like a little honest talk about things... please don't sugar coat anything.
First is to understand where YOU sit in the "jobs market".

If you don't have genuine competence and specialized skill doing something that is actually needed...
it won't matter where you move to.

If you do have that competence and skill (and usually the education to go with)...
you'll have more opportunities and just about everywhere.

If the plan is to move somewhere else (anywhere else)...
you'll still have to compete with the people who are already there.
People with those same skills who are trying to get those same few jobs.

Some objective data:
http://www.wral.com/news/state/page/4879060/

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
our choices and ether Dallas fort worth or North Carolina. give us your advice.
The June unemployment rate for North Carolina was 9.4%, among the worst in the country. See this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ate-9-4-a.html

So, unless you have an in-demand skill, Texas is probably better.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
NC "official" unemployment rate is bad enough, but unofficially it's a lot worse than is being reported.

While you might find a job here, depending on your particular skill set, many I know cannot find one. And part of the reason for that is because so many have relocated here that competition for jobs is very stiff.

I'd look at other states - Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia.

Best of luck.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 33,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NC "official" unemployment rate is bad enough, but unofficially it's a lot worse than is being reported.

While you might find a job here, depending on your particular skill set, many I know cannot find one. And part of the reason for that is because so many have relocated here that competition for jobs is very stiff.

I'd look at other states - Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia.

Best of luck.
Thanks bro we would keep looking

Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Texas actually has one of the better job markets in the US right now--though of course it all depends on what industry you are looking in. But as shown above, "NC in general" has one of the very highest unemployment rates, givein no further info.

Quote:
Thanks bro we would keep looking

Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
You may be one of the 90% who can find work, however, I would never move without a job lined up.

We did not have trouble finding jobs here, but lined them up before we moved and would not have moved blindly.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
You can get a job at IBM if you are a computer scientist

Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 31,939 times
Don't do it. I haven't been able to find something and I have education and a skill.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
I love everything about North Carolina except the job market. When I was laid off from my last job in NC I had to go to Maryland to find employment. The job market in NC is poor. Nothing would make me happier than to see jobs come back to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina