Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,980 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to the East Coast because I've always loved it. The more I look at the Carolina's, the more they seem to fit what I'm looking for but I can't seem to pick which one to move to. I currently live in California and there are things I love and things I hate. I hate not having seasons (where I live it's 70 every day) but I love not having freezing winters.
Suggestions of cities would be helpful too. I'll be 20 soon and I would like to keep going to school, I'm going to a community college now.

Want:
Near colleges/universities
Good job market and the higher the minimum wage the better
Cheap apartments (prices??), price of utlities
All four seasons but no snow usually and not above 100 on the average
Laid back attitude towards things
More liberal than conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
South Carolina is appreciably warmer than North Carolina. Maybe just an extra 3 or 4 degrees, but if it's mid 90s in NC like most summers, you're talking close to 100 in SC. Most of NC sees a few small snows each year.

SC has a reputation for being a reliously conservative place, but that's not so true in the bigger cities.

I think Wilmington NC would be a good compromise for what you're looking for. Not excessively hot or cold because the Atlantic moderates the climate. It has a university, is not a fast paced place, and has some history and character. You can still head up to Raleigh in 3 hours on I-40 if you feel the need to explore a bigger city.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Near colleges/universities
Well, parts of both states are near universities, and parts are not (you can say this about any state). So this really does not narrow it down at all when choosing between entire states. Both states have universities, though NC perhaps more.

Quote:
Good job market and the higher the minimum wage the better
Job market in what field? For June, 2012, both NC and SC's unemployment rates were 9.4%, among the highest in the US, overall. But for a specific industry, it would be different.

Quote:
Cheap apartments (prices??), price of utlities
You can find apartments at any range of price, in either state, but the quality of the apartment varies, of course. This doesn't really help decide between entire states. Perhaps you could mention a budget you're looking for an about what sort of apartment?

Quote:
All four seasons but no snow usually and not above 100 on the average
SC would be less likely to get snow but more likely to be over 100. NC (where you posted) does get snow almost every winter, and we are hitting 100 two days this week, though that does not happen every summer. Again, this varies a lot--between the mountains and the coast, for example. You can read about the climates of various states by searching online. Both states do get snow AND 100-degree weather in a given year, on average, but the depth of snow is usually less than 6" and the number of 100-degree days probably under 10, in most of NC at least.

Quote:
Laid back attitude towards things
This is somewhat subjective, but probably the West Coast is more "laid back" than the East Cost, although the Southeast is much more "laid back" than the Northeast.

Quote:
More liberal than conservative
NC is moderate while SC is more conservative, although this varies (tired of hearing that? Sorry, it's true) depending on where in the state you are. Urban areas are more progressive than rural areas, and both NC and SC have plenty of both (though NC has more urban areas).

I hope you realize you need to be a lot more specific about what you're looking for, since you can find mountains or beaches; cities or rural areas, and liberal and conservative areas in both NC and SC. The kind of things you mention are a better gauge for deciding among cities, rather than states.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 AM

232 posts, read 475,210 times
I would recommend chapel hill or any other area in the research triangle. rtp has the lowest unemployment in the state, offers numerous high paying jobs, near 3 large universities, experiences all seasons. chapel hill is also one of the most liberal areas of the state.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:53 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I would recommend chapel hill or any other area in the research triangle. rtp has the lowest unemployment in the state, offers numerous high paying jobs, near 3 large universities, experiences all seasons. chapel hill is also one of the most liberal areas of the state.
I agree and would steer you specifically toward Carrboro which adjoins Chapel Hill on the west side. It has more cheaper housing than Chapel Hill and decent job opportunities as well with the area's 7.4% unemployment rate which continues to improve as the economy recovers. One bedroom apartments at places like Ridgewood and University Lake run around $500-$550 a month, or would most recommend finding an apartment share which would run as little as $350-$400 per month and would offer a way to get to know some people once you arrive. One last thing which is a sweet deal, Carrboro and Chapel Hill have free public transit which means obviously you don't have to burn gas constantly and worry about that expense. Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Nc.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
You're not going to find a place in either state that has EVERYTHING you want. You'll have to prioritize your preferences.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
You're going to get everyone leaning toward NC if you post in the NC forum lmao. But you're going to find that in either state to tell you the truth. Hate to break it to you. You have to visit yourself and spend time in both states and see what you like better...

Near colleges/universities - Both states have cities that cover that

Good job market and the higher the minimum wage the better - SC unemployment rate is actually lower than NC.So you expect to get paid minimum wage?

Cheap apartments (prices??), price of utlities - SC and NC cities over that

All four seasons but no snow usually and not above 100 on the average NC or SC...There are no 100 average degree temperatures anywhere in the Carolinas

Laid back attitude towards things - Plenty of towns in both states

More liberal than conservative You have ultra conservative areas of NC and SC. You also have liberal areas of both states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina