Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,885 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Long time visitor of City-Data, first time poster. I am interested in becoming a business owner of some sort but am having a difficult time deciding what avenue to pursue. I am possibly interested in opening up a franchise but could use some suggestions as to possible franchises (in demand) and possible locations within the great state of NC. I understand that it is a bit of an odd question to ask but I am looking for any suggestions from the City-Data community. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Hello,

Long time visitor of City-Data, first time poster. I am interested in becoming a business owner of some sort but am having a difficult time deciding what avenue to pursue. I am possibly interested in opening up a franchise but could use some suggestions as to possible franchises (in demand) and possible locations within the great state of NC. I understand that it is a bit of an odd question to ask but I am looking for any suggestions from the City-Data community. Please help!!!

There are not enough Jimmy John's Sandwich shops in NC. And the few that are here are only in the larger cities.

These are really good sandwiches, 10 times better than Subway - give that franchise some consideration for sure!

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Chick-Fil-A seems to be the current franchise of discussion.

If it were me, I would look at some local businesses and think about franchising a mom & pops place. Kind of like Biscuitville has done. That is how many franchises start. I would rather be on the ground floor than spending upwards of $1 million for franchise rights for a place like Mickey D's.

If you are stuck on pre-existing chains, I would look at

White Castles
Pot Belly
Noodles & Company
Domino's. Every one I have been to in NC seems to be off the chain.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I am interested in becoming a business owner of some sort
but am having a difficult time deciding what ...Please help!!!
OK. Limit your choices to those business that you already have successful experience in, some skill doing (well)
and that you actually like. In short, choose something that you could succeed in even without the "training" and "systems" that the franchise concept is intended to make up for.

Then think real hard about whether you really want to smell like a french fry when you come home at night..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
Chick-Fil-A's tend to stay busy, but if you open one you must be dedicated to your restaurant and nothing else. Owners (only 1 franchise allowed) must not have any other business ventures.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,885 times
Thank you so so much, all the comments are very helpful. which area in NC are good to open a franchise, I had 7 eleven in mind but dont know much abt it, any comments on that would be highly appreciated!! thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Franchises are for people who don't have enough background in (whatever) to operate a business on their own. You will pay dearly for the assistance (which varies greatly ) you get from the franchises. If you MUST go the franchise route rather than creating something new, pay attention to what the contract says about exclusivity and distance from other outlets. There was a guy in LA who paid a lot of money to open a 7-11 on Little Santa Monica Blvd and two years after he opened 7-11 approved another franchise within two blocks of his but with better visibility to the traffic and he was screwed...

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM

222 posts, read 549,970 times
White Castle and Potbelly's are credited responses.

Keep in mind there are a LOT of Northerners down here who miss their local pizza places and bagel shops back home. Down here pizza and bagels seem to be limited to Papa John's, Einstein's, etc, all of which get boring after awhile. Maybe try to find a popular pizza or bagel chain up north that seems to be limited in supply down here.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
If you have not operated a business with a dozen employees before, I would not suggest franchising a restaurant. Employees bring a lot of drama into a business. Their family life, their health, their interaction with each other, as well as their work ethic and trustworthiness.

Start with something less manpower intensive, like storage units or a laundrycoin. Get a sense of what it's like to go through permitting, handle maintenance issues, face the public and manage cash flow.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 AM

249 posts, read 514,766 times
Laundromat is the way to go.

- Limited staff to deal with
- Better hours than a Restaurant
- Much less overhead as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina