Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

North Carolina's next governor will have the ability to appoint more political allies to state government positions and have the ability to nominate new leaders to important state boards.

A new state law enables the governor to fill 1,000 state government jobs with political allies – more than double the current amount.
And a combination of legislative maneuvering and odd timing will allow the new administration to fill key posts on two powerful state boards in its first months, offering the governor the ability to shift the ideological direction and affect any family that pays an electric bill or sends children to public schools.
read more here
Next N.C. governor will have expanded power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Interesting--I hadn't heard about this before. Not sure what I think about it. On the one hand, cronyism is (or can be) a bad thing, but on the other hand, it may promote accountability as credit/blame can be placed more directly on the governor for his/her appointments' successes or failures. I have generally been in favor of granting the governor more power to create more of a federal-style separation of powers. IMO, the legislature has traditionally wielded way too much power (e.g., for years the governor had no veto), and the fact that so many council of state seats are elected does weaken the governor's power.

Thanks for posting the link!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Thanks for the link.

I think patronage is always a bad idea. North Carolina is already one of the most corrupt states in the country and this has the potential to make it worse.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Thanks for the link.

I think patronage is always a bad idea. North Carolina is already one of the most corrupt states in the country and this has the potential to make it worse.

Really? What's your basis for this opinion?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Big tobacco? Big banks? John Edwards? Jesse Helms? Rural roads to nowhere while urbanized areas sit in traffic? I could go on, but I think you get the point. The lastest Duke Energy hearings with the NC Utilities commission show that Big Energy funds quite a few of the political careers in Raleigh as well. NC may not be the worst (Texas, NJ, Cali, and Illinois all come to mind) but we are certainly in the top 10 (or better yet bottom 10) when it comes to corruption.

In the case of McCrory, he certainly does represent the big business interests of NC. Due to the economic problems in our state, it seems as though the voting public is willing to sell out our future to a corporate guy like McCrory. My hope is that a McCrory win will bring back good paying jobs with decent benefits. If not, we can simply vote him out...

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Big tobacco? Big banks? John Edwards? Jesse Helms? Rural roads to nowhere while urbanized areas sit in traffic? I could go on, but I think you get the point. The lastest Duke Energy hearings with the NC Utilities commission show that Big Energy funds quite a few of the political careers in Raleigh as well. NC may not be the worst (Texas, NJ, Cali, and Illinois all come to mind) but we are certainly in the top 10 (or better yet bottom 10) when it comes to corruption.
No, I don't get the point. Nothing you've listed is "corruption". In every state, big money talks. Corporations and individuals bankroll politicians and they do favors for them. Not saying I like it, but as long as it's within the legal limits it's not corruption. And it's certainly no worse in NC than it is in any other state.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
No, I don't get the point. Nothing you've listed is "corruption". In every state, big money talks. Corporations and individuals bankroll politicians and they do favors for them. Not saying I like it, but as long as it's within the legal limits it's not corruption. And it's certainly no worse in NC than it is in any other state.
corruption-Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery

^^^So in your opinion, it's not corruption if laws aren't being broken? I hate to tell you, but there are SEVERAL ways to be corrupt without breaking a single law of our land. As far as expanded power for our next governor goes, he will have more power to stop corruption or be a part of it. Only time will tell which path he follows.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
corruption-Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery

^^^So in your opinion, it's not corruption if laws aren't being broken? I hate to tell you, but there are SEVERAL ways to be corrupt without breaking a single law of our land.

No, it's generally not corruption if laws aren't being broken. Bribery is against the law, and would be considered corruption of course. But nothing you listed suggests bribery or corruption of any other sort.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Thanks for asking, sorry I did not reply sooner, but I have been busy.

We are #5 out of 50

The Most Corrupt States - The Daily Beast

#1 in Fraud
#2 in Embezzlement

I suspect with this move our public corruption will go up as well.

Let us not forget our good friend Jim Black.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM

^ Randomstudent, did you even read the article? "Public corruption" is only one of five criteria they used--all the other factors involve non-government forms of corruption. NC ranks #36 in the public corruption category, which would include local governments in addition to the state level. The high overall ranking comes from fraud, embezzlement, and forgery in the private sector, not government.

That's a pretty weak basis for your argument, and in fact the article refutes your assertion. #36 out of 50 is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina