Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,962 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I want to move our 2 girls out of Kentucky and are really looking hard at the eastern part of North Carolina. We want to be closer to the ocean and closer to nature. We are looking for a tolerant, open minded community good for raising children and where we can make a decent living. We are Pagan and do not want to surround ourselves with bigots and Bible thumpers. We have a very live-and-let-live attitude and are hoping to expose our children to a more postive atmosphere than the close-minded ignorance we deal with here. We are a loving, happy, environmentally concious, connected family looking for a peaceful place to live. Asheville sounds good but a little bit west for us. Is there anyplace similar to that further to the east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMoon3 View Post
We are looking for a tolerant, open minded community good for raising children and where we can make a decent living. We are Pagan and do not want to surround ourselves with bigots and Bible thumpers. We have a very live-and-let-live attitude and are hoping to expose our children to a more postive atmosphere than the close-minded ignorance we deal with here.
Try looking at Portland Oregon. I would not suggest eastern North Carolina for what you are looking for. It is still strongly Christian, pro-military and mostly conservative. I don't think you would be run out of town, but a Pagan family would not find much understanding here.

In addition, the un-employment rate is running close to 10%, and jobs don't pay particularly well.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
I agree with goldenage. Most of eastern NC is conservative. You would have a better chance in western NC like Boone or Asheville.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I agree with goldenage. Most of eastern NC is conservative. You would have a better chance in western NC like Boone or Asheville.
Or perhaps Durham or Carrboro or Cary, but I don't know those communities well. I believe Carrboro is about the most liberal or tolerant part of North Carolina, and unemployment rate in these counties is better. Carrboro is in Orange County, and is considered part of the Triangle. It has a lower unemployment rate than much of the state, and has decent schools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-05-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Carrboro/Chapel Hill are probably about your only options. Maybe Wilmington, but that area is still pretty conservative.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM

49 posts, read 114,608 times
I agree with everyone else. Coastal/Eastern NC is pretty conservative and is full of "bigots and Bible thumpers" (a little intolerant, aren't we?). Raleigh, Durham, etc are more diverse and tolerant as long as you don't go around bad mouthing everyone who has a different opinion from you.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Troll

Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Why mention that you are Pagan...no one is going to notice unless you make a big deal of it and go out of your way to make your way of thinking known- like you are doing here...so number one stop calling people that you have not met yet "bigots" or "bible thumpers".

You sound like some sort of elitist...I love nature...and my father was very Orthodox Christian with shamanistic beliefs..I really don't find it useful to tell people my every thought or the traditions that are in my family...No one knows that I understand shamanism..cos' I don't broadcast it..but like you - I will might suffer a bit of persecution for not being understood...be private..and if you meet dumb people- stay dumb.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM

328 posts, read 767,357 times
As a fellow Pagan, I vote for the Raleigh area. We just had Pagan Pride Day in September at the fairgrounds and while there are some pagans to the east of us, you'll be welcomed more in a larger city with more diversity in central to western NC.

I don't think the OP sounds elitist. Who wants to move to where they are not truly welcome? While I don't walk around with a pentagram on my forehead, I do understand that Christianity is "the norm" and everyone pretty much expects you to be Christian if you are look Caucasian or African-American.

Good luck with your move, AutumnMoon, and Blessed Be!

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 11-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: where's my broom?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Coastal Carolina isn't really big on alternative religions. As other's have said, it's still largely conservative and mostly Christian. I don't think you'd be "run out of town" or anything to that extreme but nor do I think it would be easy to assimilate or find the haven and overall acceptance you're seeking.

I have to second goldenage's suggestion of the Pacific Northwest as an area that would be more suitable to your needs than Coastal NC.

I'm not too well informed on areas around the Triangle though so that may be something you'd need from other posters.

Good Luck to you! I hope you find your happy place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina