Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 PM

202 posts, read 408,554 times

Advertisements

Hi all... This is first post here after lurking for a little bit.

I am 34 and single, and currently live in northeast, PA. I am finishing my Masters degree in Secondary School Counseling in 5/08. At that time, I'll be moving somewhere. Two of the places I am seriously looking at are North Carolina and South Carolina. I have been to NC before, about 10 years ago, but my experience was limited to the Chapel Hill area (which I can't currently afford).

My questions is, what are your pros and cons of each state? Anyone that has any experiential knowledge would be great here! I don;t have areas picked out in either state yet, as I'm still researching. I'm hoping my polloing the audience will help me a little bit.

So, there you have it... I'd LOVE any advice on the pros and cons of each state, keeping in mind my school major (which can be utilized as a school counselor, mental health counselor, college admissions counselor, etc.), the fact that I am a somewhat poor re4cent grad with school loans, etc.

Thanks a TON in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,641 times
First things first! Just because both states share a name does not mean they are on the same caliber at all. NC is a major state versus South Carolina which is pretty small. Ok, but small. South Carolina shares the tropical climate most deep south states share. Palms trees, humidity,etc. NC is a transitional Mid-Atlantic, southern state. Meaning the culture is similar to that of MD and VA. South Carolina is a traditional southern state, so far as culture, geechies,palms, business, etc. They have similar names, but are polar opposites.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 AM

202 posts, read 408,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
First things first! Just because both states share a name does not mean they are on the same caliber at all. NC is a major state versus South Carolina which is pretty small.
Never meant to imply there were intrinsic similarities between them. What I said was, they are two of the areas I am considering. I am also considering Colorado. The only reason I didn't include that here as well is because of proximity. I assumed that people that live in either NC or SC would have something to offer regarding their adjacent state (much like I can offer limited information on NY or NJ), but would not be able to offer much regarding a state as far away as CO.

Regardless, thanks for your reply.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,778 times
Quote:
South Carolina shares the tropical climate most deep south states share. Palms trees, humidity,etc.
South Carolina has a subtropical climate, not a tropical one. They have sabal palmettos, not palms.

Quote:
NC is a transitional Mid-Atlantic, southern state. Meaning the culture is similar to that of MD and VA. South Carolina is a traditional southern state, so far as culture, geechies,palms, business, etc. They have similar names, but are polar opposites.
North Carolina might be "like Virginia and Maryland" when you're up in the northern part of the state. When you're in the southern part of the state, NC shares a lot in common with SC. Ever been to Rockingham? Fayetteville? Whiteville? Very similar to South Carolina.

But even if you're talking about, say, Greensboro, NC and Greenville, SC - how are they polar opposites? Or compare Rock Hill to Kannapolis. Sumter and Fayetteville. They all seem similar to me.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
South Carolina has a subtropical climate, not a tropical one. They have sabal palmettos, not palms.

North Carolina might be "like Virginia and Maryland" when you're up in the northern part of the state. When you're in the southern part of the state, NC shares a lot in common with SC. Ever been to Rockingham? Fayetteville? Whiteville? Very similar to South Carolina.

But even if you're talking about, say, Greensboro, NC and Greenville, SC - how are they polar opposites? Or compare Rock Hill to Kannapolis, or compare Wilmington to Charleston. They all seem similar to me.
You're actually right. The southern half of the state has more in common with SC, than say Raleigh, Winston-Salem,or Durham. Evan though Charlotte is NC's largest city it's very similar in culture to SC. NC is a transitional state. It's ironic though you mentioned those cities, being they are some of the worst cities in our state.

Palmettos or palm tree, they're still the same family of trees.

Wilmington isn't like Charleston at all! I have to disagree with you there. Savannah GA is more like Charleston.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
Hi all... This is first post here after lurking for a little bit.

I am 34 and single, and currently live in northeast, PA. I am finishing my Masters degree in Secondary School Counseling in 5/08. At that time, I'll be moving somewhere. Two of the places I am seriously looking at are North Carolina and South Carolina. I have been to NC before, about 10 years ago, but my experience was limited to the Chapel Hill area (which I can't currently afford).

My questions is, what are your pros and cons of each state? Anyone that has any experiential knowledge would be great here! I don;t have areas picked out in either state yet, as I'm still researching. I'm hoping my polloing the audience will help me a little bit.

So, there you have it... I'd LOVE any advice on the pros and cons of each state, keeping in mind my school major (which can be utilized as a school counselor, mental health counselor, college admissions counselor, etc.), the fact that I am a somewhat poor re4cent grad with school loans, etc.

Thanks a TON in advance.
Eric,
first off, I'd do a forum search. This topic has been discussed many times. But I grew up in South Carolina, and I've lived in Greensboro and Wilmington, NC. The two states have a tremendous amount in common; they actually used to be one state.

Based off my experience, the main differences are:
1. Size - NC is much larger; more people, more land
2. Money - NC is wealthier. More jobs, more Fortune 500 HQ's, etc. This translates into more money for higher education & universities.
3. Cities - NC has larger and more politically liberal cities.
4. State Gov't - NC wants to tax and regulate everything. SC is more laissez faire. In Yankee terms, NC = Massachussetts, SC = New Hampshire.
5. People - Rural NC and SC are very, very similar. NC's urban areas tend to differ from SC's.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wilmington isn't like Charleston at all! I have to disagree with you there. Savannah GA is more like Charleston.
All three cities are similar; historic, coastal cities with beaches nearby.

If you want to get detailed, Wilmington is not like Savannah or Charleston; I've spent a great deal of time in all three cities. Downtown Wilmington actually reminds me of Key West. Charleston is a beautiful city, and has a longer, more relevant history than anywhere in North Carolina.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Eric,
first off, I'd do a forum search. This topic has been discussed many times. But I grew up in South Carolina, and I've lived in Greensboro and Wilmington, NC. The two states have a tremendous amount in common; they actually used to be one state.

Based off my experience, the main differences are:
1. Size - NC is much larger; more people, more land
2. Money - NC is wealthier. More jobs, more Fortune 500 HQ's, etc. This translates into more money for higher education & universities.
3. Cities - NC has larger and more politically liberal cities.
4. State Gov't - NC wants to tax and regulate everything. SC is more laissez faire. In Yankee terms, NC = Massachussetts, SC = New Hampshire.
5. People - Rural NC and SC are very, very similar. NC's urban areas tend to differ from SC's.

Very well said, I agree

Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
All three cities are similar; historic, coastal cities with beaches nearby.

If you want to get detailed, Wilmington is not like Savannah or Charleston; I've spent a great deal of time in all three cities. Downtown Wilmington actually reminds me of Key West. Charleston is a beautiful city, and has a longer, more relevant history than anywhere in North Carolina.
Yeah, a history of SLAVERY! That's the only history that anyone recognizes Charleston for. No doubt, it's a beautiful city. However it's not an affluent up and coming city so to speak. My father was from South Carolina, and I'll tell you first hand, SC is post slave country. You can see it everywhere you go. You would think NC would be the same, because their neighboring states. However racial tension down there is still pretty tense. The Confederate flag was just taken down from government buildings just a couple of years ago. The residents there are fighting to have it replaced, despite the pain their black neighbors feel, when it is displayed. I would never live there. There's a plenty of reasons it has not enjoyed the wealth and growth of it's neighbor.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Yeah, a history of SLAVERY! That's the only history that anyone recognizes Charleston for. No doubt, it's a beautiful city. However it's not an affluent up and coming city so to speak. My father was from South Carolina, and I'll tell you first hand, SC is post slave country. You can see it everywhere you go. You would think NC would be the same, because their neighboring states. However racial tension down there is still pretty tense. The Confederate flag was just taken down from government buildings just a couple of years ago. The residents there are fighting to have it replaced, despite the pain their black neighbors feel, when it is displayed. I would never live there. There's a plenty of reasons it has not enjoyed the wealth and growth of it's neighbor.
SC was not the only state where slavery existed. Don't know why you want to turn this in to that kind of discussion anyway. The good news is, this is America - YOU, and our op, are free to live anywhere you chose that you can afford. There are many lovely areas in SC - I would recommend the op come for a look-see and decide for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina