Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM

32 posts, read 76,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
LOL. What happend to make you change your vote?
Well I actually looked at Charlotte and it was much better because in my opinion it is more vibrant.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I hate to bring up this old thread, but a particular video from Raleigh's WTVD caught my attention. It was a story about Raleigh's most recent ranking as "best city" in the Nation. IMO, the story was nice and had some good information (the hottie doing the reporting from downtown Raleigh helped too ).

However, there was some dis-information as well directed towards uptown Charlotte. In this report (that was supposed to be about Raleigh) a very attractive reporter stated that downtown Raleigh is now more populated than uptown Charlotte. She said this at the 2min 45 second mark of the video link below.
Raleigh takes top 'Best City' ranking | Video | abc11.com

After watching this, I decided to do a little research on both downtowns just to see if maybe this reporter knew something that I did not. I checked two websites (of each city) and here is what I found.

Downtown Raleigh
6 million sq/ft of office space
5,000 downtown residents
About :: Downtown Raleigh

Uptown Charlotte
18.4 million sq/ft of office space (this could be a pre-Duke Energy/New Bofa tower number)
11,230 downtown residents
Center City Data & Statistics - Charlotte Center City Partners

Here recently, I've seen some estimates that place uptown Charlotte at nearly 13,000 residents and downtown Raleigh at currently 7,000 (so YES, both downtowns are growing). Still though, it seems strange that a Raleigh news station would report that its downtown is now more populated than uptown Charlotte (especially when folks can now just google the truth).

Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
It baffles me how the anchor can say so confidently that DT Raleigh has more residents than UT Charlotte when simply looking at the residential developments that have happened in each city's core in the past 5 years or so shows that Charlotte is a good bit ahead of Raleigh in that department. Of course, not every unit is occupied and some developments struggle more than others, but it's still pretty evident that such is simply not the case.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It baffles me how the anchor can say so confidently that DT Raleigh has more residents than UT Charlotte when simply looking at the residential developments that have happened in each city's core in the past 5 years or so shows that Charlotte is a good bit ahead of Raleigh in that department. Of course, not every unit is occupied and some developments struggle more than others, but it's still pretty evident that such is simply not the case.
There's got to be some way the anchor came to that conclusion. At any rate, common sense will tell you Charlotte has more residents in it downtown. But that's no slight against Raleigh.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
There's got to be some way the anchor came to that conclusion.
Yes, her teleprompter told her so. Oh wait, she was outside; which means she had to "freestyle" her report. Well, there was the problem. She meant to say "downtown Durham" but she was thinking about her future husband (me ) down in Charlotte and her tongue slipped.

All jokes aside, she probably meant to say that downtown Raleigh's residential growth rate is now higher than uptown Charlotte's.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Raleigh is lacking as far as entertainment. A city Raleigh size (over 400,000) should have more entertainment options. Its kinda boring there. Charlotte lacks a sense of history. When you look at uptown, everything is new. I think a great urban core has a good mix between the old and the new and Charlotte lacks the old. Its what gives a city character. The demise of old Charlotte uptown neighborhoods such as Brooklyn is a loss for the city. When you look at the modern towers in Charlotte, they could be built in an urban city across the country.

Both cities have their weaknesses and strengths. But when I look at everything, I think Charlotte beats out Raleigh.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Raleigh is lacking as far as entertainment. A city Raleigh size (over 400,000) should have more entertainment options. Its kinda boring there. Charlotte lacks a sense of history. When you look at uptown, everything is new. I think a great urban core has a good mix between the old and the new and Charlotte lacks the old. Its what gives a city character. The demise of old Charlotte uptown neighborhoods such as Brooklyn is a loss for the city. When you look at the modern towers in Charlotte, they could be built in an urban city across the country.
You have a point, but that's why I always say to experience the true essence and character of Charlotte, you have to look beyond Uptown to the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
But the trend in Raleigh is toward more entertainment options. Raleigh still is far from being a 24/7 city, but is not the sleepy village it was not too long ago.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
But the trend in Raleigh is toward more entertainment options. Raleigh still is far from being a 24/7 city, but is not the sleepy village it was not too long ago.
Raleigh is definitely improving on the entertainment options. Whenever I'm in the area I seem to be confined to crabtree. I really want to check out north hills. Neither Charlotte nor Raleigh need to be 24/7 cities. I do think Charlotte has options such as Uptown, Southpark, Ballantyne, University City, Dilworth, NoDa, Southend, among others that give Charlotte so many options. IMO, University City, southpark, and Ballantyne seem to be their own cities within the city of Charlotte.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Back in January of this year, I made my own estimates of what Meck's population and density would be if the county had 754 sq/miles of land...
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Mecklenburg County (the larger version)
1,215,851 population
754 sq/miles land area
1,613 people per sq/mile density
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...barred-92.html

Look at how close my numbers were to the recently released urbanized area population of Charlotte.

Charlotte's official 2010 UA
1,249,442 population
741 sq/mile land area
1,685 people per sq/mile density

My response to a post on another thread...
I saw this post on a city vs city thread and thought that a response would fit better here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh's urban area alone is already larger than Charlotte's was in 2000. If one adds Durham's urban area to Raleigh's, the combined total would be ranked immediately after Charlotte at 1,232,493.
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post23663101

^^^Here's a little info that you may (or may not) have known. Back in 2000, the UAs of Raleigh/Durham were actually larger than Charlotte's UA. Observe...

2000 UAs
Charlotte-758,927
Raleigh/Durham-829,323

So, bringing up the fact that a combined Raleigh/Durham is now "ranked immediately after Charlotte" (when ten years ago Raleigh/Durham was larger) shows the exact opposite of the point you were trying to make.

Also, if Raleigh/Durham gets to combine (total population 1,232,493) would you agree that Charlotte should combine with Gastonia/Concord/Rock Hill (total population 1,738,814)? I ask this because the shortest driving distance from downtown Raleigh to downtown Durham is about 25 miles (the same distance between uptown Charlotte and downtown Rock Hill, South Carolina). In the case of Charlotte, Gastonia, and Concord; these three are actually closer to each other than Raleigh is to Durham (and are far more connected when it comes to cummuters).

Some distance examples...
In Wake county, the distance from downtown Raleigh to Fuquay-Varina is 17-18 miles. From Raleigh to Wake Forest is about 18-19 miles. The shortest drive to Zebulon is about 22 miles or so. In the Charlotte area, downtown Gastonia (another county) is 20 miles west of uptown Charlotte; straight shot west on US-74. Downtown Concord is 21 miles from uptown Charlotte in another county.

I only wanted to point this out because I've noticed that many Triangle area supporters feel as though Raleigh/Durham should be combined (and I tend to agree with that). However, Charlotte (when it comes to urbanized area) isn't combined with neighbors that are closer to Charlotte than Raleigh is to Durham. Furthermore, Charlotte's closer "ring cities" play more of a suburban role to Charlotte as well (try telling the Durham/Chapel Hill folks that they are a Raleigh suburb; ain't gonna happpen).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-18-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina