Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,805 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
New to the forum, been reading posts on North Carolina. Needless to say, I'm intrigued. I'm looking for some advice to see if this is an area my family might want to relocate to. I'm a certified Cat heavy equipment technician and your dealerships seem to be hiring. We currently reside in the Central Valley of CA. I'm looking to see if small farms with older farm houses are really as affordable as real estate websites seem to portray them.
A little background. I was raised in the mountains outside our town on a ranch and due to family issues, that's a legacy I will not be able to involve my children in. My father actually worked as a full time cowboy for many years. I want my kids to be raised similar to how I was raised, learning the value of hard work and how to take care of animals and how valuable simple living can be. Land in California is almost completely un reachable to the common man. I've seen our ranches split up and sold off in 40 and 80 acre parcels as weekend homes for the wealthy. I bought my first house, and had to buy in the central area of our city, and I'm realizing that's not where I want to stay.

A 45 minute commute for work is not an issue for me. I see a lot of other Californians post on here and want all the arts and cultural activities they had in their major metro areas. I want country life, not Art galleries and music festivals! Is North Carolina a place that can fit my needs with affordable land and simple life?

Any conversation on this topic would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkslacks View Post
Hi all,
New to the forum, been reading posts on North Carolina. Needless to say, I'm intrigued. I'm looking for some advice to see if this is an area my family might want to relocate to. I'm a certified Cat heavy equipment technician and your dealerships seem to be hiring. We currently reside in the Central Valley of CA. I'm looking to see if small farms with older farm houses are really as affordable as real estate websites seem to portray them.
A little background. I was raised in the mountains outside our town on a ranch and due to family issues, that's a legacy I will not be able to involve my children in. My father actually worked as a full time cowboy for many years. I want my kids to be raised similar to how I was raised, learning the value of hard work and how to take care of animals and how valuable simple living can be. Land in California is almost completely un reachable to the common man. I've seen our ranches split up and sold off in 40 and 80 acre parcels as weekend homes for the wealthy. I bought my first house, and had to buy in the central area of our city, and I'm realizing that's not where I want to stay.

A 45 minute commute for work is not an issue for me. I see a lot of other Californians post on here and want all the arts and cultural activities they had in their major metro areas. I want country life, not Art galleries and music festivals! Is North Carolina a place that can fit my needs with affordable land and simple life?

Any conversation on this topic would be appreciated!
We bought a farm in northern Granville County about 45 minutes north of Durham with 30 acres ( half open pasture, half old growth timber), a circa 1920 fully restored farmhouse (2000 square feet), barns etc. for $171,000. We are from Connecticut originally but NC is our home now for about 25 years. The hot sauce, pork and collard festivals are what happen up here...or, you can spend time on one of lakes...or, not. Let me know if you need any more info -- check Person County too...

Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM

That is awesome! Sounds like you guys found a little slice of heaven! That same property would cost three quarters of a million here. Definitely getting the juices flowing!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Quote:
That is awesome! Sounds like you guys found a little slice of heaven! That same property would cost three quarters of a million here. Definitely getting the juices flowing!
Glad to help... Some good deals here.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
I don't know true this is today, but in the 1980s there were debates popping up in various counties whether they "needed zoning" as the population of the state grew. I assume there are still some remaining where you can build without much inspection... (maybe these don't have well funded school systems or services either, but you may not be interested in that)

Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
...been reading posts on North Carolina. Needless to say, I'm intrigued.
We currently reside in the Central Valley of CA.
Is North Carolina a place that can fit my needs with affordable land and simple life?
Compared to CA prices (even SJ Valley vs the coast)... you'll be very happy.
However... the flip side is that even skilled wage rates aren't as good.

Quote:
I want country life, not Art galleries and music festivals!
HomegrownHandmade - Art Roads and Farm Trails of North Carolina
http://www.merlefest.org/

Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I don't know true this is today, but in the 1980s there were debates popping up in various counties whether they "needed zoning" as the population of the state grew. I assume there are still some remaining where you can build without much inspection... (maybe these don't have well funded school systems or services either, but you may not be interested in that)
Lack of zoning is not the same as no inspections. There plenty of counties where the non-municipal areas are not zoned, but all new construction, renovations, etc. are still subject to a inspection & building permit process. That's under state laws, though carried out by municipal or county government.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Compared to CA prices (even SJ Valley vs the coast)... you'll be very happy.
However... the flip side is that even skilled wage rates aren't as good.

HomegrownHandmade - Art Roads and Farm Trails of North Carolina
http://www.merlefest.org/
Well I'm going to have to freshen up the old résumé and see what I can get for wages. There is a website (the name is escaping me at the moment) that when comparing average salaries in my field, they seem fairly comparable on the surface. I know that here in the valley, it's an underpaid field unless you happen to be an extraordinary worker.

I guess a good question is that is there a lack of qualified skilled laborers right now? I know they are hard to come by out here, hopefully employers are having the same issue in NC.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, hope to get even more insights on here.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
if youre looking for the beachy part of ca you might want to go east of raleigh and slightly south, towards wilson.

if you want the hilly mountainous region of ca you want to look at asheville, black mountain, boone, brevard, franklin

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
If you don't mind a little commute, your options can be endless in NC....usually if you just go a county or two outside of any of the best places to live you can find an affordable farm.

That being said, the schools in those areas typically leave something to be desired. The best county schools I can think of that would offer affordable farms are Union County (near Charlotte), Chowan County and Camden County (Northeastern), Franklin County (Raleigh area), and Pender County (Topsail area) (Wilmington). In Greenville you can just stay in Pitt Co between Greenville and Vanceboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina