Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 8,364 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am looking to relocate to North Carolina. Problem is I don't really know where I want to live. I am a 26 year old female. I am getting a divorce and just want to start completely over. I am hoping I can get city recommendations. I am looking to rent an apartment but I want the area I am in to be very safe. I would like to live in a smaller town but be close enough to a bigger city for food and shopping and events. I really like hiking and being outdoors and prefer warmer weather. I am going to plan a visit but need to narrow down the places I want to see. New Bern or the area around it was one of the cities I was looking at. I was also looking at something around Hickory. Any kind of information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHerrera View Post
Any kind of information would be appreciated.
What sort of job would you be looking for? If we knew your skills, it might be easier to recommend something. Otherwise, you wishes are so general, you could locate anywhere. FYI, the best employment rates are in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham). You can find smaller towns in the Triangle.

New Bern is a nice town, but please do some reading in the Coastal sub-forum. Some people complain there are too many retired people, and there is little for a young person to do. You might enjoy areas closer to the beaches like Newport and Morehead City.

I don't know Hickory, but I suggest searching, as others have asked about it recently.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 462,150 times
How close to the city do you want to be? Hickory is an hour away from Charlotte and New Bern is two hours away from Raleigh.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM

I work in logistics right now and did receptionist work before that. I have a bachelors in business management, but where I live that got me no place. I've worked at restaurants as the hostess too. I guess what I am getting at is I'm open to doing anything. I just want to get away from here. I would really like to live near water either ocean or lake/river. I am not huge on going out. I would need a town where it is easy to meet people, but I don't need a huge night scene. I would like to be close enough to shops (30 min). I really appreciate art, so if it was an arty area that would be nice. I would love a good sushi restaurant near by. I just want to get away for a while to a quiet place, get an apt, a small job, and enjoy the weather and outdoors with my dog.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM

I was looking at visiting Wilmington and making the drive up to New Bern this month. See if any towns catch my eye. If you can recommend places to stop that would be great!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You might like Beaufort NC. It's arty, on the water, and small. You could probably get restaurant work there.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 18,969 times
Don't waste your time in New Bern there are zero things for younger people to do, the Mall is very small with few stores in it and honestly not much in terms of food (although Paula's is a great little pizza place). There is very little in terms of real employment outside of the hospital and as you near downtown Newbern you will find some very sketchy neighborhoods. Newport has nothing there and no real employment but you would probably find cheap housing and you would have Morehead not to far away. Morehead is growing with some new stores and strip malls a few good sushi places and still fairly laid back kinda living the Waterfront has things going on from time to time and the Seafood Festival usually draws a decent crowd (few art places down on the Waterfront also). Wilmington would be where I would also look maybe living in Ogden or Hampstead or even just on the outskirts of Wilmington. There you will find everything you have listed and have the best chance at finding a decent job. Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM

351 posts, read 656,702 times
I'm not sure what your price point is for rent, but check into the Lake Norman area. There is tons of shopping and of course, the lake. I'm not sure about rent prices, but I think it's a more expensive area.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHerrera View Post
Hello!
I am looking to relocate to North Carolina. Problem is I don't really know where I want to live.
How is it that you can know you want to live in NC, but don't know anything else? Typically someone decides to move to a particular city, not state, especially one as large and diverse as NC.

Why have you narrowed it to NC but don't even know anything about what city? Have you ever visited anywhere here? Have any job prospects? What DO you know about NC, maybe we can start with that?

If you have settled on being near the coast, the Coastal NC forum is best for specific details.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Thank you for all the recommendations! It is nice getting info online but nothing beats people's actual opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina