Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
That's like saying Iredell County's proximity to the Triad is responsible for the growth, but it's considered part of Metrolina...
You got that backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Clayton and Moorseville were a lot smaller a decade ago, so the percentage of growth seems impressive. In terms of actual people, they're all adding roughly the same numbers at this point. Alamance County in particular had been stagnant for almost three decades prior to a shift toward growth starting in the mid-late 90s. Obviously the proximity to the Triangle is responsible for much of that, but officially they're considered part of the Triad.
I don't think that explains it because Raleigh, which is not small compared to other NC cities grew at about 46.3% from 2000-2010. Which is just slightly lower then Clayton and Moorseville. The Triangle and Charlotte are just booming much more then the Triad.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
You got that backwards.
No...

Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
No...
Yeah; you did.
Go back and read the actual statement.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't think that explains it because Raleigh, which is not small compared to other NC cities grew at about 46.3% from 2000-2010. Which is just slightly lower then Clayton and Moorseville. The Triangle and Charlotte are just booming much more then the Triad.
We're actually agreeing with each other here. My point is in response to the initial question as to whether or not there were any Triad suburbs growing, to which I replied there are. Albeit not at the rate of the inner ring suburbs of the Triangle or Charlotte, though at a rate comparable to their outer ring suburbs, which can be attributed to the slower overall growth rate of the Triad, and which Mebane and to a lesser extent Burlington/Graham/Gibsonville/etc. can also be considered outer ring suburbs of the Triangle, which would account for their somewhat faster growth compared to other Triad suburbs.

As for the percentage thing; Raleigh happened to add an impressive number of people in the past decade. It's tricky to look at percentages alone. Apex, for example added a little over 15,000 people in the decade from 1990-2000, and about 17,000 from 2000-2010. Their growth rate in that first decade looks amazing- over 300%, a function of Apex being a small town of a few thousand people in 1990- with the next decade looking small in comparison, just a paltry 85%. However they still added more people in the past decade despite the growth rate as expressed as a percentage being nothing compared to the earlier decade in which they added fewer people.

In comparison to Raleigh, which added a little over 127,000 people the last decade, New York City added over 160,000. But as a percentage of growth, it doesn't seem as impressive, because New York's a city of over 8 million people.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 04-17-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Yeah, but to put this in context.

Between 2000-2010

Wake 43.5%

Mecklenburg 32.2%

Union 62.8%

Cabarrus 35.8%

Chatham 28.74%

Johnston 34%

Greenville, Willimington and imho Asheville all have potential to boom but they aren't quite there yet.
The original question in this thread was what areas "outside of Raleigh and Charlotte"...you listed a bunch of counties around Raleigh and Charlotte...the discussion was other areas not Raleigh and Charlotte.

To go along with the 20.9% in New Hanover Co during that decade, Brunswick Co grew 32% and Pender Co grew 21.3%....

This comes on the heels of the following growth rates between 1990 and 2000...New Hanover 25%, Pender 29.7% and Brunswick 30.3%.

Pitt Co grew at a 19% rate during that decade and then over 20% in the next decade and as I said most of that growth is concentrated around Greenville because some towns stayed the same...Greenville actually doubled in size. Winterville (on Greenville's southern border) grew 48% between 2000-2010. Not sure what qualifies as booming, but doubling in 10 years certainly must.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
While I expect all of the state's metros to grow and some of them to grow at faster rates than the state or national rates, I don't really see any new boomtown areas on the horizon for NC.
Many NC's rural counties will most likely to continue contraction or see little to no growth at all. The Metros will continue to absorb the rural counties' losses. For one of NCs other metros to actually "boom" in the near future, an enormous catalyst is going to have to emerge to drive it. Right now I just don't see a catalyst of that significance happening elsewhere in the state.
Some might argue that ECU is such a catalyst but I am not convinced. It's not as if ECU is something new. Sure it's growing rapidly but its impact hasn't been enough to cause a signifant boom in Greenville.
A wild card regarding boomtowns might be an future tax policy that the state pursues. An example could be a boom in retirement areas on the coast and in the sandhills if the state eliminates income tax. NC could get a big boom of retirees to key areas.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That is probably because you didn't check the stats.

Meck is below the state average and Wake is going gang busters with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state.

Greensboro is better then it was but it is still a lot worse then wake and somewhat worse then Meck.

N.C. county-by-county unemployment rates :: WRAL.com
I was talking about county unemployment rates in relation to Buncombe's. Mecklenburg's is higher, yet Charlotte is still a boomtown while Asheville isn't so my point stands that unemployment rates don't tell the whole story.

Quote:
I also have to say having lived in Greensboro for years I don't agree with you about Greensboro in any of those catagories. Greensboro's base was traditionally textiles and manufacturing and while they have transitioned to education somewhat they don't have anything a strong as the technology/government/education/health sector in Raleigh and the financial stuff in Charolotte, even though Charlotte took a beating this recession Greensboro got it worse. Greensboro also is a bunch of sprawl which in some areas is increasingly becoming blighted and at least as far as water goes it doesn't have the resources Wake and Meck do.
I agree that Greensboro's local economy isn't as white-collar or high-tech as Charlotte's or Raleigh's, but I was arguing that the local industrial base is larger and more diversified than Asheville's so Greensboro has a better chance of becoming a boomtown. But realistically, I don't really see it happening in either town.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I was talking about county unemployment rates in relation to Buncombe's. Mecklenburg's is higher, yet Charlotte is still a boomtown while Asheville isn't so my point stands that unemployment rates don't tell the whole story.

I agree that Greensboro's local economy isn't as white-collar or high-tech as Charlotte's or Raleigh's, but I was arguing that the local industrial base is larger and more diversified than Asheville's so Greensboro has a better chance of becoming a boomtown. But realistically, I don't really see it happening in either town.
Charlotte has high unemployment because the banking sector imploded and they are still recovering. The main reason I think Asheville is likely to boom is because it is seen as such a desirable location that people who can work remotely will be attracted to it. I think that will attract a fair amount of small businesses with potential which is why I tend to think it is possible though I also think Wilmington and Greenville also have potential.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Charlotte has high unemployment because the banking sector imploded and they are still recovering. The main reason I think Asheville is likely to boom is because it is seen as such a desirable location that people who can work remotely will be attracted to it. I think that will attract a fair amount of small businesses with potential which is why I tend to think it is possible though I also think Wilmington and Greenville also have potential.
That might lead to an uptick in growth, but I don't see that resulting in a boom; you've just got to have a larger and more diversified industrial base. As long as Asheville remains averse to big economic developments, I just don't see it happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina