Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,537 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to NC next year and working in the Fayetteville area. I recently spent a few days in the area to check it out and have to admit that I was less than impressed and couldn't really find a town that could make both me and my wife happy. I am willing to commute up to an hour each way and my wife is extremely concerned about the quality of the schools for our soon to be growing family (amung other things). My wife seemed to like Chapel Hill/Carrboro the best but if my watch is the least bit accurate that seemed to be closer to a 2 hour drive.
Are there any towns of a similar size and feel closer to Fayetteville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
It's going to be hard. Chapel Hill is nice, but, like you said, a bit of a drive. Plus, it's a pretty expensive place to live. I know the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area (west of Fayetteville) is nice, but not sure about the cost of living. Might want to try Sanford too (north of Fayetteville). Have some friends who live there and seem to like it. Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 PM

60 posts, read 126,768 times
hey chubby ,, is this the chubby from small block posse with the 1st gen nova

Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
You could also check out Raeford. It's more of a country town, but seems to be nicer (cleaner & safer) than Fayetteville.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We didn't drive through Reaford while we were out there. I think that we will just have to take the plunge and sort it out when we arrive. Or, not relocate at all.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Try Fuquay Varina in extreme southern wake co. This is where I live. It is a very nice and booming town. It is clean hear and the schools are very good!

We are located right along hwy 401, which takes you straight to Fayettville. I think your drive would be anywhere from 50 minutes to 1 hour.

By living in Fuquay Varina, you are close to everything in the Triangle. You will be 20 minutes or so away from all the big malls, and from downtown Raleigh. You will also be 20 minutes from Cary.

Give us a shot!

Oh yeah, you will make money off of your house. We bought ours 5 years ago, and the value has jumped over 100,000! No joke!

Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Actually, what Beffery2 said is a good idea. I didn't realize FV was within that driving distance to Fayetteville. I'd check that out if I were you.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 AM

Fuquay-Varina...I'll have to check that out. It does sound ideal, driving time wise. Any insight into that name? Would that be considered the suburbs of Raleigh then?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
Fuquay-Varina...I'll have to check that out. It does sound ideal, driving time wise. Any insight into that name? Would that be considered the suburbs of Raleigh then?
If you didn't mind the longer commute, that would be an excellent choice of a place to live.

The area was originally two different little communities; one named for a man (Fuquay) and the other named after some landmark (Varina). Many years ago the communities merged and hypenated the names to show that they were two that had become one.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
Oh, and I think it is approximately 30 minutes south of Raleigh and is one of its suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina